• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crossing the border by water

I am in need of some help. We will be fishing the Buffalo Bay area the first through fourth of July and want to be able to cross over the border and fish areas in Minnesota without trailing to Warroad. I have done a search of the site and only one hit- no help, so will post a question. Is there another type pass other than the remote access pass one can get to enable you to do this? Thanks in advance

Have to apologize, I did a more refined search and it appears that that is the pass that I would need. It appears it is only good for one day though, based on the application I downloaded. Is that correct?

KJB,<P>I was looking in to the same thing last week. Some one was kind enough to steer me in the right direction. You need to get US INS form I-68. The can be purchsed at your point of entry for $35.00. It is good for two or three years. It will also cover your wife and dependants. I did get the impression that everyone else in the boat, fishing buddies, etc. each had to get their own. Hope this helps.

Eastwind,<P>Thanks for the info- I reviewed that form and it says that it is not necessary if you cross the line but do not intend to enter the US at a port of call. Since we would first cross the line from Canada to the US and then go back over the line into Canada without touching land, I am not sure this is what I need??????? Very confusing to say the least.

I'm the one who mentioned that I68 form to Eastwind on the Canada forum. It is very confusing to say the least! May want to call someone {INS, Customs???} for firsthand info. I have heard this and that.....Peoples have told me that you need the 1 to come into the US, and the other to go back to Canada???? I sure miss the old days when all you needed was the Canadian license and a reciept for you're live minnows!!! Governmental tit for tat redtape at it's finest. I wonder if the US government should'nt be taxing all the cars, and semi's that roll thru Roseau, LOTW, and Koochiching county to cut off mileage on their trips E and W? I think so!!!<P>fiskyknut

KJB, try going to <A HREF="http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/rabc.html" TARGET=_blank>www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/rabc.html</A> and you can download the remote border crossing application. I'm pretty sure it's good for three years,<P>

Fisky,<P>You hit on the question I immediately asked myself after my last posting- do I need one going each way? Seems that due to our staying in Canada and not touching US soil when we cross, we do not need the I-68- will just get the Remote access pass, I think. Do you happen to know if it is good for more than one day? I have heard two years, but I can not find it anywhere on the info that comes with the form. Thanks

Burly,<P>Thanks, already did that but just can not find out anywhere in the instructions on how long it is good for- the form asks for the "Date permit required by applicant" and only enough room for one day to enter. That is why I am questioning the length of the pass. Did you find or have you found info somewhere that told you about the three years? Also, do you have any info on whether the I-68 is needed as well? Thanks for your help

It is good for two years from your birthday. Say you where born on jan. 1st and you recieve your Canpass-RABC now. It is good until jan. 1st 2006. It is not good for two years from the day you recieve the permit. The cost is $30 canadian funds.<P>This permit is only good to go from US waters to Canadian waters without checking in. That is how I understand it.<P>Thanks<P>------------------<BR>Where's my crew??

Widetrack,<P>How do you get the permit to travel from canadian waters back to US waters and what is it called? <P>Warroad border?<P>I heard this is a free permit?<P>Thanks<P>------------------<BR>Where's my crew??

I've got the US port pass also. You can get it at the Warroad border. At the time I got mine it was free. It is intended for people who own property at the Angle to be able to cross without using the video-phone.<P>I'm not sure if it's valid out on the water. That is a real grey area. I know a BP agent pretty well, and I tried to get a straight answer about that, and he would only say they aren't out there to hassle fishermen. Go figure.

Thanks to all for the help. On the question on going into the US from Canada, that is where the I-68 would be used, I believe. However, as I read it, it is only necessary if you are entering a port in the US, ie landing in the US. As such, at least for us, we would go from Canada to the US without touching US soil, so it would not be needed, but then would need the Remote pass when we came from US back into Canada. That is my best interpretation- after all this , we probably won't end up crossing the border while we are up there!!!!!!