• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pine Island

Heading up for our annual Memorial Day trip and looking for an update on water temps, levels and any other info you folks may be interested in volunteering. Heard that the river was up and the water was stirred up pretty well. Staying at Schusters, arriving Friday afternoon.<P>Thanks!!

SAKMAN,<BR> I don't have any info for you about Memorial weekend-sorry. But I would love if you could give me a report when you get back. Me and about 7 coworkers are staying at Sportsman's Lodge June 4th, 5th, 6th. Heard that the water levels were way up on opener and alot of debris, but not too many reports of good catches-maybe late May early June is the ticket!! Hope it's a productive and fun weekend for you all!<P>AJWALLEYE

Hey Guys... We go up annualy on the first week of June and it has to be the best fishing of the year for the Pine Island/Gap areas. It doesn't much resemble walleye fishing like back here...It's more like jigging for bluegills it's so easy to catch 'em. I don't think that the water levels are going to have too much effect on the bite like the weather will. If weather cooperates, you'll have as many limits as you desire.....<P>good luch and good fishin<BR>fishgutz

FISHGUTZ,<BR> <BR> What's the best presentation?Bait? And most importantly DEPTH? Or is it going to be pretty obvious by what others around us are doing? <P>AJWALLEYE<P>

For presentations, you'll want to have a large selection of spinner rigs in bright colors. Typically, a hammered gold or silver with a leech will be the most productive. That said, be ready to use jigs & minnows, and/or flourescent colored spinners. Also, the crawler bite will be heating up so you can try that. For depth, start at around six feet and work all the way out to twenty-five. It won't take long and you'll find the depth where the fish are concentrated.<P>It's as close to can't miss walleye fishing as there is in the world. The only potential problem is the wind.<P>Good luck and happy fishing.

FISHGUTZ and Sakman are right on, that first part of June is the easiest fishing of the openwater season for #'s of fishes all over on the US side. As WT once said...."If you can't catch fish in June you better take up golf"!!! As long as we don't get one of our imfamous wind events, or the all to common this year unstable constantly moving barometer you guys should get onto the Wally's with no problem.<P>Have fun....fiskyknut

Thanks for the info guys, if I wouldn't have asked I never would have thought about using spinners or especially CRAWLERS! I thought maybe it was way too early for those "summer" tactics-especially way up on the border like that. So i'm glad that I asked and looks like i'll have to top off my inventory of spinners, i'm going to need some anyway. Thanks guys I'll let you know how we do when we return.<P><BR>AJWALLEYE

Great news. We will be up the second week of June. I can't wait.

I'm a pretty simple person hence I use a pretty simple presentation... A lead head with an extra eyelete to hook a trailer hook through, with a delicious fat ole nightcrawler. Troll slow and jig it off the bottom. Important to use the trailer hook, as I'll tell ya from experiece that you'll bring in alot of fish with that .25 cent little contraption. If you go with the spinner rigs, then you're already good to go. Man, guys... I'm pumpmed. We ususally tent it at Morris Point, but we're really gonna rough it in the cabins at Cyrus. It's gonna save lots of time and work so we can concentrate a little harder with the jungle juice. Yeee Hawwwww.....<P>Good luck and good fishin',<BR>fishgutz

Temps were breaking 50 degrees untill big winds came up, temps dropped down to 48 degrees. Very murky, couldy. <P>Lots of 24+ inchers or better though. 6 feet to 16 feet, bit on anything. Not many deadheads which was a surprise.

LittleRanger,<P> What ARE deadheads, I know what they look like because I nearly hit the things every time i'm out there, but what are they-entire huge branches floating ominously like icebergs? Or are they somehow attached to the bottom?<P><BR>AJWALLEYE

AJ, They are not connected to the bottom, if they were, they could be marked.They can show up anywhere on LOTW. Logs, old highline poles, etc floating aimlessly around, hungry for hulls. <P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

I came down on a floating log last time I was coming through the gap. You always get the higher waves their if it is a north wind with the waves coming into the gap from the lake, and the current coming out. It was floating vertically and I never even saw it. It wasn't that big and I came down right on top of it on the tougher part of the hull so it just split in half. I then got off the power immediately and sort of heard the pieces bouncing their way out the back.<P>I'm hoping the weather behaves more than they are prediciting for this weekend. I'd like to catch a fish this time up.<P>Ryan

I should have said Horizontally. Vertically and I probably would have speared it right up through the boat. It was riding in the trough of the wave when I came down on top of it.<P>Ryan