• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Four Mile Bay or Rainy for Sturgeon????

I'm planning a trip to fish the mighty Sturgeon this weekend 5/1-5/2. Just wondering<BR>where a guy should go?<P>Any Up-To-Date reports on the Sturgeon bite? Would I be better off fishing somewhere up the Rainy or sitting by the weed beds in four mile bay?<P>Any Help would be GREAT! Thanks...<BR><P>------------------<BR>CatMan

Opps did not see this post in time.. sorry.. I just came back from 4 mile bay fishing the channel for Sturg's.. Did pretty well.. even in the 30mph winds.. <P>Hope you did well...<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442

Its has been a couple of very interesting<BR>weekends. <P>Last Sunday CatManLee took me over to the Red River for big catfish and we had a great day catching some BIG Cats (20 pounds<BR>the biggest)<P>Yesterday (Saturday) we went to catch some<BR>dinosaurs in the Rainy River and the Lighthouse Gap. We sat out in the pack<BR>by bouy no 10 for a few hours and saw several<BR>fish caught, the biggest was just over 59<BR>inches. <P>We couldnt pull any there so we moved out to<BR>the gap and things improved. We only landed<BR>a couple but they were 36 and 51 inches<BR>(the 51 incher was 22.5 pounds) We had a few others going and some broken lines on hook sets so overall the day was good.<P>I have lived near the Red River for 25 years<BR>and have never hit the cats over there.<BR>I have fished LOW for 25 years and have never<BR>caught Sturgeon on purpose. <P>I used to take this time between Walleye<BR>seasons off from fishing but now that I have<BR>seen these new opportunities for giant fish<BR>close by and easy to catch I will chase<BR>them again. It was big fun! and we hit the weather good both trips. <P>Good fishing everyone!<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Curt, so did you get to see whiskers whippin around in that hotrod jetboat of his then?<P>You also have the Pike bite you gotta get in on this time of year too! So many fish and so little time eh!!!<P>fiskyknut

Curt!!!<BR>Wasn't that a huge fish?? If it is the same one, I watched the fisheries boat release it right next to us yesterday morning. They said 59-1/2". That was the biggest fish I have ever seen. Everyone in by boat held their fishing rods just a little tighter after seeing that one. What do ya think it would have weighed?

Hi Scarface.<P>I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. I was in<BR>the Alumicraft right next to the boat with<BR>the whopper.<P>It was fun to watch the DNR boats scootin<BR>around collecting fish. We were calling<BR>them the Pelicans because they hovered around<BR>waiting to swoop in and get a free fish.<P>I dont know what the brute would have weighed<BR>but it was huge..<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

HEY CURT, THAT WAS MY BOAT NEXT TO #10. WHAT A PIG HUH? WERE YOU THE BOAT JUST DOWNWIND OF US? IT WAS ACTUALLY 59 3/4. I CAN'T BE GIVING AWAY THAT LAST QUARTER INCH NOW. FIRST TIME DOING THIS FOR ALL FOUR OF US. UNFORGETABLE. WE WENT A LITTLE DEEPER LATER IN THE DAY AND CAUGHT QUITE A FEW MORE IN MID 30s - MID 40s. NOTHING SHORT OF AWESOME, TOTALLY HOOKED OM IT NOW. WHAT DO YA SUPPOSE THAT WOULD WEIGH? MUST'VE HAD A 28" GIRTH.

Fisky,<P>I didn't get to see the jet boat darn!<P>Roseau Joe,<P>You guys handled that fish perfectly it was<BR>fun to watch. I wish I could help you on the<BR>weight, I thought the DNR boat would weigh<BR>the darn thing with all the measurements <BR>they were doing. What information did you<BR>need to put on that card they gave you to<BR>fill out?<P><P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

After talking with Dennis at the fisheries office, he figured it would go 55-60#. Got a couple cool pics. Anyone know how to get them on here?

Wow that is a beauty..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>can you imaguine catching that on a walleye rod and 8# test.. they would still be out there pulling on it LOL LOL...<P>great fish.. <P>Fish on....................................................<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442