• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Changing Limits On Lake Of The Woods- Rainy River

how about no fishing? isn't it cruel to catch them anyway? should we have to buy tags for the fish we wish to keep? like deer? maybe you get a booklet and when you've used em up you are done fishing for that species? how about dropping the limit by just one fish per species? gradually ween us evil game hogs. is any step taken to control over harvest a step in the right direction? i have kept 10 inch wallys, usually because they blew up on the way to the surface. i could just stuff them back down the ice-hole, but i count 'em and try to be more gentle next time. other times i have kept them because i already had 1 dead 10incher, the day is nearing an end, and the bomber will be coming soon. my luck has never been so good that i have damaged any thing more than the population of dollars in my wallet. if i were ever to catch 3 16" wallys in one day i would think i went to heaven. i still bring my sorry illinois butt up there once per year (this year hopefully twice) in order to catch 1 fish of bragging size. i have been buying licenses for 20 years. i have caught a 34" northern, a 25" wally, and maybe 10 big crappies (13,14,15) i mostly catch and release, but we ate the crappies and the wally. none of my biggest fish came from low, but all were from 'sota waters. it kinda hurts thinking that if i were to finally hit some nice fish,that i couldn't keep them. i think the netters took far more fish than the anglers ever could. i also think we have lousy fishing here in illinois because we have no closed season. i'm glad i have found this site, i am learning. i realize now that if i do keep a fish because i think it is a trophy on the lake...i better think about how i'll feel back at the dock, or when i hear the bill for mounting it. probably more than my 2 cents...think i must be sleepy!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widetrack

• Buckets

• curt quesnell

• lakowoods

Shadboy,<P>You are very right. 60 percent of the fishers<BR>on LOW catch only one or two fish per day.<P>The resorts didnt own the gill nets, so the<BR>end of that abuse was only good news for them.<P>We made a deal with Canada and while I dont<BR>like the way Ontario does business we are<BR>bound to live up to the deals we make. Our<BR>harvest quota was accepted by Minnesota and<BR>suddenly, after many years of underharvest<BR>we get 2 years in a row way over harvest. That is pretty much the issue.<P>Last year the bulk of our harvest over the<BR>quota happened during the hard water period.<P>Fishing is great and lots of people are <BR>comming to LOW to fish. The resorts are<BR>ready to provide hospitality and a great<BR>fishing experiance.<P>There are no signs that the population is<BR>being depleted by these big numbers. The<BR>main concern is our harvest quota.<P>Sorry if I jumped on you Buckets. I use<BR>riggers a only few times each year and you are right they work great. Pulling a crank bait is a tremendous way to catch fish any<BR>time of the year. I doubt trolling will<BR>be outlawed. <P>There is a small group that is quick to blame<BR>riggers for everything from killing all the fish in the lake to global warming and none<BR>of it is true. Once in a while it gets my<BR>back up.<P>Too many people, a bite that is very good<BR>equals quota busting numbers not and easy thing to fix. <P><P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Of course I am not saying to ban trolling. Bottom bouncers get the bait down too and have been used for eons but they do affect the bottom structure and get lost alot or hung up so one has to stop. Although at this rate it won't be long till they are required to use $4 stroke motors..<P>It seems like you guy's are saying that the charters are abuseing the lake by downrigging, and I do believe that. <P>So if it were banned, for the charters, would they lose all they have worked for?? Certainly not in a year or so or ever probably, people will still come to this (nothing short of fantastic place) and that would be time for a scientific study to reveal (perhaps) a change or not.. <P>I have never caught so many small fish consistantly up there. And tiny ones the size of smelt!! This seems alarming to me..<BR>

Catching tons of smelt-sized walleyes tells me one thing....<P>A HEALTHY FISHERY<P>Great reproduction and an awesome year class.

Charterboss:<P>I'd love to see the results of the Rigger study. Is it available anywhere?<P>I'm sure there are lots of variables with both methods of fishing which could affect the study. I'd love to see it.<P>A 7 year study must be documented somewhere?

widetrack--the study was done 7 yrs ago-and was a two day test-fish where caught -placed in a harness /released with a buoy marker--and pulled back up 24hrs later. Each boat had a crew of 3--driver /helper and DNR rep. Any local DNR office should be able to get the fiqures to you. As well as the yearly test netting that they run on the lake each fall..<P><BR>small fish today means big fish tommorrow---its just evidence of a large fish hatch --usually 2 or 3 yrs in a row

Wow, did this thing explode. So what's the answer everyone is asking....there isn't an easy solution, that's for sure. I do feel that the DNR needs to take a close look at the hard water fishing. I've been fishing the lake for six years now and I can't believe the number of ice fishermen today vs. six years ago. <P>My thinking is that the DNR's harvest projections aren't taking this into account. After reading there 03 report I was shocked, it's like.....ice fishing, are there people that actually do that??? A perfect example would be Rocky Point Resort, I'm not picking on them...this is just to prove a point here. I think that they run a good operation. Anyway, they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-65 ice houses. I'd say that a safe number to use would be 10 fish per day, per house. Obviously every house isn't full each day, nor does each house catch there full limit of fish. So 10 fish should work for this example. 10 fish per house X 60 houses X 106 days of winter fishing= 63,600 fish. Wow, and that's just one resort. But I know for a fact that there are days where resorts like Rocky or Ballard's bring in 500 fish in one day!!

My mistake.<P>I thought your post said 7yr study.<P>I'll see what I can find.<P>Since you were involved I have a question.<BR>When the fish were hooked up with the riggers, was the boat stopped as the fish were played, or were they jerked out of 30+ feet at 2.5-3mph as the boat continued course.<P>What depth were the fish caught out of? (both rigging, and angling). Was the angling method spinners, jigs, or lindys? <P>I hope you don't mind me asking, I'm very curious about this topic. If you don't feel like talking about it, I'll see what I can find from the DNR. Did they post it on there site by any chance?<P>I can admit I'm wrong if proven so.<P>Thanks.<P><p>[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 03-05-2004).]

Regardless of what happens, we need to keep this fishery highly regulated. If that means a slot or a reduction in limits, I am all for it. We all love this lake and the potential it has or we would not be posting. This is the LAST good fishery for eyes (and other species) left in the state of MN. Lets keep it that way. Please reduce the limits and the taking of larger fish!

Since when has a "highly regulated" fishery been good for a lake? <BR>Just ask the resorters on Mille Lacs !!<BR>or read Joe Fellegy's column every week in Outdoor News <P>W E B

I am encouraged too by the number of small fish, the lake has a great ability to reproduce. It's just overfished so the size is staying small it seems. <P>I have also noticed much more of a walleye bite than sauger. The saugers used to be fat 14 to 17" and now are considerably smaller and less of them it seems.<P>It is Wrong if the DNR prioritizes the money side of this verses the right of EVERYONE to enjoy this equally! It seems to me this is simple greed and exploitation! I will be contacting my legislators and hope others do too, pro or con.

widetrack<BR>I don't mind answering any questions involving a sport that we all enjoy. I myself was involved in the downrigging phase only...We set up a boundary area out in the middle in approx 30ft of water..We also set this up approx 6 miles from where the bulk of the fishing was being done that day to insure that the test area would be left alone..markers where also placed in this area stating that a test was in progress. We ran two riggers, the boat was stopped on each release , our trolling rate is (or I should say mine is) usually from 1.5 to 2mph . Once the release was made our paperwork began. We noted the time of day, weather conditions, boat speed ,wind speed etc. Also we noted our groups perspective of that fishes chance of survival. <BR>The following day when we returned to the test area the number markers where again accounted for and results where marked-missing/alive/dead. They was a few markers that did come up empty and was determined that these where more the results of other fish spotting a free meal vs a life fish breaking free of the harness.<BR>The harness itself was set about a ft from the bottom of the line to return the fish to the depth that they where caught at. The harness was more of a cinch type that allowed the fish freedom of movement. <BR>The hook and line method/test had been done at an earlier time and I was not part of that program. I do not have a list of the results of this study,but I'm sure Mike Larson of the baudette office does. I also said 7 yrs ago but it could have been closer to 9 --time has a tendency to roll together..If you do get ahold of mike you should also get a couple of the test nets results. As they show a great comparison of the fish hatchs of the past yrs to the results of the fishing in the current yr..I becomes very clear which upcoming yrs will be good and which will be a little harder and what sizes one can expect to catch..<BR>Speak at you all tommorrow

Charterboss:<P>Thanks for that info. <P>My only real hangup with Charters downrigging is the fact that they don't stop the boat upon hooking up with a fish.<P>It sounds like the study the boat was stopped. <P>Under normal cases of crankbait fishing, I'd bet the mortality rate is less then angling, because most of the fish are hooked up in the mouth, and not in the throat as can happen angling.<P>Again, my point is, there are lots of launches quicking pulling fish from deep water with riggers because the boat isn't stopped. I've seen it with my own eyes plenty.<P>Thanks for your time.

Please someone educate me.My understanding is more fish are kept in the winter.Why would the DNR want to lower the limits in the summer? I would also like to point out that once Red Lake opens up it should take a lot of the fishing pressure off LOW,especially in the winter when both walleye and crappie bites will be going on. That being said,it`s hard for me to believe that keeping 2 walleyes under 19.5"in the spring is hurting the fishery.Let`s also remember the Birchdale and Clementson areas need that spring shot in the arm. Here`s another point,why would the state improve all the roads to the access areas? Makes no sence,leave spring fishermen alone.

I have seen charter boats stop or slow way down on nearly every release. I have seen charter boats keep pretty small fish on hot days thinking the survival of released fish would not be good.<P>I have seen private boats jerking fish out<BR>of deep water on hot days while "catch and<BR>releasing" long after catching the fish<BR>they intend to keep. I have never seen <BR>a charter boat sit on top of a school of<BR>fish in deep water and hammer em after catching the fish they intend to keep. (not<BR>that this could not happen but I have not<BR>seen it).<P>The explosion of ice fishing the last two<BR>years with early starts and good fishing is<BR>the reason for the high harvest numbers as<BR>the DNR explains in their reports. <P>What ever they decide needs to happen I hope<BR>does the trick. It is such a wonderful lake<BR>I'd hate to see Minn and Ontario fueding again. <P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

I agree that Red will take some pressure of LOW but that will not last for long in my opinion. In a few years Red will not be fast and furious like it is now because everyone and their mother will be keeping limits. Once again LOW will be the focus and the destination of many anglers. With the population increase (MN is one of the fastest growing states in the midwest), LOW will only have more and more fisherman heading up their. That means higher harvest rates every year. If we begin to regulate the lake now, we will probably never run into LOW being an average fishery. In my opinion, we need to preserve what we have.

Good call, I've said this since day one when I brought this up. The DNR need to be proactive and not reactive when it comes to this issue.

You are right about Red Lake,it will only end up being a quick fix,a few years will go by and LOW will be in trouble again.I have to admit,the older I get the harder it is to accept change.I would like my 7 grandsons to enjoy the great fishing I have enjoyed thru the years.If the DNR thinks they need to protect the resource,so be it.

Certainly an interesting debate, and I have read and tried to stay out of the fray as well, but one thing here is just too irritating. To all you who complain about "non-locals" fishing the lake, taking fish, etc., be careful what you wish for. Yes, we all would like to have a what, 100,000+ acre body of water all to ourselves, but it happens nowhere that I know of. If you want to complain to anyone, do it to the people, mainly your neighbors, who market the area and try and get "non-locals" to come and fish there! But before you do it, be careful, the money influxed into the area from "non-locals" helps many of those complainers able to live, and make a living, there in the first place! This same arguement has been going on with residents of the UP related to BAy De Noc. Yes, "non-locals" take a large quantity of fish, but they typically do it once a year, end of story. I fish it once a year, take home my 6 fish and am done- I pay as much, actually more, for my license than any local does! I am curious, how many, by comparison, did any of the people complaining about the take of "non-locals" take and eat in comparison to me last year? Sorry for venting a little, but I have heard this for so long related to a number of places, that it gets a little irritating. I will also add that I have never had anything but great service and friendliness from any "local" establishment that we have used while up there. They appreciate the business, I guess!

Bluesharp,<P>Lake of the Woods will be in trouble again!??<P>Lake of the Woods gill net check in Sept<BR>2003 found 20 Walleyes per gill net. The 10<BR>year average is just over 15. This means more<BR>fish NOT less. 60 percent of the fish in the<BR>gill net were from the 2001 year class, anyone want to guess how big those fish are?<BR>(answer...10 to 13 inches)That might be why<BR>so many of those fish have been caught this<BR>winter. <P>The 1999 year class is well represented. These fish are about 16 inches and should<BR>provide good fishing this summer. The 2003<BR>year class is also a strong one. If you get<BR>one good year class in 5 years fishing will<BR>be pretty good. Lake of the Woods has had<BR>real good hatches in 3 of the last 5 years!<P>Now to the real numbers. Usual summer harvest<BR>numbers on Lake of the Woods for Walleyes<BR>is 300,000 pounds of a 450,000 annual target.<BR>Last summer the number was 380,000. This traditionally is 70% of the annual Walleye harvest. 60,000 pounds of Saugers is the normal summer harvest of an annual harvest of 225,000 pounds.<P>Since December 1st 2003 LOW has given up 420,000 pounds of Walleyes and 400,000 pounds of Saugers. Abundance of fish, abundance of anglers, good early ice and decent weather are contributing factors.<P>All this is pretty much the way it happened<BR>last year and still the Sept 03 gill nets<BR>were 25 percent above average. Its good <BR>news for the lake.<P>I want to tell you about the summer harvest<BR>on Lake of the Woods and hopefully dispell<BR>some misinformation. Of the 380,000 pounds<BR>of Walleye harvested last summer 113,000<BR>pounds were harvested in 3 weeks in May(almost 30 percent). <P>The bulk of the harvest is<BR>taken in May and June. July and August <BR>fishing is called "slow" by comparison. The<BR>relatively small harvest in July and August<BR>are the months that the Downriggers are out<BR>combing the deep water. <P>I asked Mike Larson if the Dnr had any opinions about Downriggers and his reply was they were just another tool for catching fish in the lake. He said that people are fishing the deep water much more than they<BR>used to. He said that Jigs, Spinner rigs,<BR>and crankbaits are all being used and that<BR>the new super lines and deep diving crankbaits are making it easier for everyone<BR>to fish the deep water flats. He went on<BR>to say that not too many years ago this school of fish was pretty much untouched.<BR>Prime downrigger time shows the smallest harvest of the fishing months (I am sure<BR>this does not include Sept, Oct, Nov.)<P>Anyone heard about the Charter boats with<BR>downriggers decimating the population of <BR>fish in LOW? And they must be stopped!!!!!!<BR>Its not true, its never been true.<P>Now let me clear up this big "DNR meeting"<BR>next week. A group of Resort owners asked<BR>if they could meet with some fisheries people<BR>regarding these harvest numbers and what might or might not need to be done in the <BR>future. These people are not about the <BR>almighty buck like some would have you <BR>believe. There is some concern from St Paul<BR>about the generous limits on Lake of the Woods even after the last go around when <BR>limit changes for Walleyes were not considered necessary. So this group of <BR>resort owners wanted to have a sit down with<BR>the powers that be to make sure everyone<BR>could be on the same page. This isnt a Dnr<BR>public meeting, it was a get together requested by local citizens and no decisions would or could be made at this meeting.<P>Fish populations in Lake of the Woods are<BR>among the best ever! The continuing good<BR>year classes is what makes the future bright.<BR>5 bad year classes in a row and fishing will<BR>not be good regardless of hook and line pressure.<P>There may be some changes comming in numbers<BR>and sizes of fish you can keep, it seems to<BR>be the wave of the future, whether the lake<BR>needs it or not.<P>Finally, let me challenge all of you to learn<BR>what you can about this fantastic fishery.<BR>The information is here on the net. All<BR>you need to do is do a search for mndnr<BR>and once you get to the Dnr website search<BR>for baudette area fisheries. It is very<BR>interesting reading and you will be happy <BR>to know that you will not be mislead by<BR>people who just make stuff up.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Curt,<P>desimating the population, who said that ?? If this compairativly small harvest by the dredded rigs are really no big deal then it shouldn't really matter to them right?? Or is this the small extra needed to keep them afloat,, I think not. <P>The resorts are not the bad guys here other than the fact for a private meeting. Isn't everyone supposed to be on this "page". They do what they can because of the laws And a competition for business.<P>The facts as I know them are rigs are set up mostly by the operators and set the hook automatically. Customers simply wind the fish in . Combing the water sounds about right, like a potatoe harvester without the conveyor belt, more than 2 months of the year too.<P>The bottom line is If they are going to lower the limits (which I believe is needed) then shouldn't everyone look at this issue too so as to offset the lowering required. It sounds fair to me. <P>A fillet of a 19.5 fish is about the biggest I would want on my plate too, I hope they don't raise that too.<P>

What an interesting thread this turned out to be. Many great points and information provided. I started fishing this lake 4 years ago and even though it is a 4 1/2 hour drive I would still make the trip 4-5 times a year as I do now. If, as mentioned by others, the powers to be see the need to decrease the limits to insure this fantastic area for years to come I would support that. As I get closer to retirement (a coouple of years) I think more and more about relocating to this part of the State. Not just to fill the freezer with fish either. The friendliness and hospitality of all the people I have had the chance to encounter is unbelievable. The sunrises and sunsets in this part of the world seem to take on new meaning every time I have the chance to witness them.<BR>The answer to the question posed here obviously does not contain one absolute and deinitive answer. I have neither the expertise nor the knowledge to attempt to make a decision which will affect so many, so I only hope that much thought and consideration is given by those who have been given that task. This area provides in my estimation the absolute epitomy of fine fishing. This was definitley some very interesting reading, and I must say in a true sportsmans like manner without name bashing and character assasinations. Bill

how many people plan on going to the dnr meeting on the 10th?

Yeah after rereading the thread again it's amazeing how passionate really people can get about something so loved and treasured. Even my posts now seem like a plow horse with blinders. ha ha <P>I have never even fished with riggers so it's just what I have heard from friends and others who have done it and seen on tv.. <BR>Or what I think I've heard and seen..<P>The best we can do is vent our opinions and learn as we go, so as to use the blinders spareingly and try to fit in on the 'page', less we be forgotten too. <P>I e'mailed a lawmaker with some facts as I see them in hopes that All is considered and it may provide any help to those who have this undesireable responsibility to please everyone And most of all the resource !<P>It's tough to hang on sometimes huh cool.gif<P><BR>

Ban downriggers ?? Why not ban charter fishing period ?? Why not ban vexulars ??, Ban fish houses ?? Ban power augers ??<BR>(get the point??)<BR>To some, mainly the handicapped, the elderly, groups of children, ect., charter fishing is the ONLY means of fishing off shore.<BR>I'm not so sure there is a problem, but if there is a problem, the most logical answer is to adjust the limits.<BR>All should share the pain equally.<BR>

Just a thought.......ontario's limit is 4 fish for any combination of walleye sauger. in the mid 90's there was concern about over harvest on the south sector of LOW, so they cut limits and ended comercial fishing wich only added up to about 10,000 pounds per year. fishing both sides of big travere you can sure tell, mn has lots of 10-13in fish with some nice 25-30 fish, ON has a nice mix of fish of all sizes.

Remember again folks. If you require C & R on anything between 19.5 and 28 inches, any wounded fish have to be thrown back even if they are going to die. Last time I checked, a dead eye doesn't spawn.<P>I personally prefer reducing the bag limit. I have seen too many gill hooked eye thrown back on Mille Lacs and wash up on the shore later.

turckMaybe this is a little off track, but there is a group of us that make the the trip up to the St.Loius river every year. this is a 2 fish limit fisheries, we still go and enjoy ourselves, if they would cut back the limit on LOW , it sure wouldn't stop me from going up there and enjoying a good time with family and friends, sorry if i went the wrong ways here. and thanks Bturck for turning the charterboss on to this site. do i know him?

BobD: I agree, there is much more to fishing and hunting than bag limits. However its sure nice to have something to show for your time and effort. Lowering the possession limit somewhere in the vicinity that Fisky alluded to a couple of pages back would not put me in a position where I would not make the trip. this is still a fantastic fishery. Lets just suppose for sake of discussion, (which is what this thread has really brought to the forefront) that the walleye was lowered to 4 and Sauger 6. A group of four people could limit out with 40 fish, 80 fillets. I would consider that some pretty decent fishing and table fare any day. Again just me .03 worth.<P>As far as your question regarding Charter Boss, I have tried to turn a lot of people onto this site and I don't recognize the handle "Charter Boss". Without his real name I just can't put it together. Charter Boss if you're listening help me out here please. Good luck to all as it starts to wind down for another year. And hang on. Bill

Feared by fish,<P>Just to keep things straight.<P>In the mid 90s ONTARIO was concerned about<BR>fishing on the south end, not Minnesota. <BR>Harvest numbers were very much in line back<BR>in those days.<BR>Ontario was also concerned about people comming across the border to fish Canada without spending money in Canadian resorts or hotels and motels. The limits were changed in Ontario, not in Minnesota. At that time, if you did not stay at some kind of lodging in Canada your limit was zero.<BR> <BR>Minnesotans like the Canadian<BR>experiance but largely stayed away from<BR>Canadian resorts and Ontario during this<BR>latest fracas.<P>Finally only a couple of years ago Minnesota<BR>changed the summertime Sauger limit from<BR>8 to 2 in exchange for Ontarios granting even a small limit for the Minnesota vacationers interested in fishing up in the<BR>islands for a day. <P>Ontarios big beef was charter boats<BR>bringing people across the border to catch<BR>Canadas fish, which they say were being<BR>severely over harvested by this small fleet<BR>of hook and line Sportcrafts. One important<BR>thing to remember is while the Gill netters<BR>had been gone from Minnesota waters for many<BR>years by this time, in Ontario gill nets<BR>are still very much in use every summer.<P>It just goes to show you.......There's always<BR>something,<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio