• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Changing Limits On Lake Of The Woods- Rainy River

Sandee,<P>I really like how you think, I'm also with you in terms of a bottom end of the slot. I suggested this awhile back on this forum, but was shot down by someone. Right now the harvest on LOW is at a million pounds and is climbing by the day......

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widetrack

• Buckets

• curt quesnell

• lowrox

Captains rule the boat.<P>I know lots of Muskie guides that state they are strictly C&R even though there is a legal harvest limit. If the client doesn't like their policy they can find another guide.<P>There is no reason a Walleye captain can't have set rules of the boat either.

Interesting problem. Fishing is soooooo<BR>good and there are soooooo many fisherpeople<BR>that the harvest numbers are going thru <BR>the roof.<P>After all the public input and statewide<BR>meetings of just a couple short years ago<BR>it was determined that a change in the limit<BR>to 4 fish (from 6) wouldnt change the harvest<BR>numbers enough to make it worth fiddling<BR>with.<P>But what do you do? Canada is gonna have <BR>a fit real soon with this kind of quota<BR>busting harvest, reducing the limit by a <BR>fish or two probably wont make much of <BR>a difference. Sooooo bring back the public<BR>meetings again and get more input. The DNR<BR>is between a rock and a hard place here and<BR>it will be not be an easy problem to solve.<P>What is needed is less fisherpeople and not<BR>so good of a bite.<P>Lake of the Woods generous limit of 6 and 8<BR>has already been trimmed to 6 and 2 for all<BR>summer and the harvest numbers went UP!!!<BR>A limit reduction of around 40 percent did<BR>not effect harvest even a little bit.<P>These huge harvest numbers may not negatively<BR>effect the fish population of LOW. What it<BR>will effect is the temperment of our neighbors to the north. I would hope that<BR>overall population compared to harvest<BR>numbers are one of the topics covered at this<BR>meeting.<P>I will be there for this meeting to listen.<BR>I am not qualified to make an intelligent<BR>recommendation on how to lower these harvest<BR>numbers.<P>Lets hear what there is to hear on this <BR>issue and try to process it with the head<BR>and not the heart.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

hi ., i am one of those once maybe two times a year up to low., 3-4 hours to drive., the limit change really would not bother me., if you want to go up there to get your 4, 16" then c&r the rest of them ., who says you still cant go up there and hammer 100 fish or less or more in a weekend ., just being out there and catching and releasing fish taking picturs and drinking a few suds is worth the trip., my 2 cents worth.,

Downrigging should be eliminated for charters. I bet That practice alone is responseable for a Large percentage of harvest and mortality!<BR>Any reduction is going to help.<P> It's sad to think that this too is all about MOney! Since the resorts get first priority !!<P>Curly, before sport and good times there were, and still are people who enjoy fish for their value for food. Sportsmanship has gotten way outa whack when people go out just to C/R.<P> I for one think That is not only immoral but damageing to the fish in genral. <P>just another $.02 <BR>

Buckets- Are you saying it's "unsportsmanlike to only c&r"?? confused.gif<P>There are many times I fish that I have no intentions of keeping fish. As long as I can do a healthy release. <P>------------------<BR>Will fish for work<BR>Brian Rogers

Don't get me wrong here, I have no problem with people earning a honest buck.What kind of bothers me is a group of people who deplete a resource that belongs to all of us while making a pile of cash.I know I'll hit some nerves, but I had to say it!Good fishin' Jigster

BDR, each to their own, as long as it's legal, but that is what I believe. Especially for a sought after fish like the walleye. And to let people do that during the spawn is just unbelieveable to me.<P>Heck why not make deer stands legal year round and let people live trap or tranquilize critters for a thrill or simply harass them with paint balls. Many would I bet. Hey that might be a soulution for the deer problems. .04<BR>

Geez Buckets how do your feel about downrigging?<P>Should trolling with crankbaits and clip weights also be banned?<P>How about jigging more fish out of deep water<BR>in the warm weather after you have the fish<BR>you want to keep? Additional C&R will probably kill many released fish.<P>I will agree that charter boats harvest <BR>lots of fish. Its their job to harvest fish.<BR>To not perform for their clients would be<BR>stealing money. Every person on every boat<BR>has a license and has paid for the chance<BR>to catch a limit of fish. <P>Buckets, I bet you are very wrong in your<BR>harvest numbers.....here's why<BR>The charter boats give many many more people the chance to experiance Lake of the Woods than anyone else. They are a link in the<BR>chain that brings millions of dollars into<BR>the areas economy each year. <P>I know that I bring home lots more fish in my 90 days fishing each year<BR>than these once or twice a year charter customers bring home and I buy one license each year compared to maybe 50 licenses<BR>and 50 motel rooms or resort cabins and<BR>100s of meals in restaurants and lodges.<BR>I take 100 fish compared to 6 fish caught<BR>by a charter customer. I get 10 times the<BR>benifit and spend a small fraction of what<BR>they spend. License to license our best<BR>bang for the buck comes from the charters.<P>To complain about the hard working charter<BR>captains on Lake of the Woods is very<BR>short sided and not very well thought out.<BR>These stewards of the lake help hundreds of<BR>people in trouble on the lake every year.<BR>Are they perfect?...no. Who is?<P>This is NOT a simple problem, actually we<BR>dont know that it IS a problem yet.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio<p>[This message has been edited by curt quesnell (edited 03-04-2004).]

Curt, you forget one basic thing. Many fishermen make trips to the LOW and go home with one or two. They are not in communication with other launches etc. But the launches go out almost everyday! Rain or shine. Wind or no wind. And usually its limits each day and sometimes a couple of trips a day. Curb the downrigging and leave the limits as are.

Curt,, as usual you seem to find words in my opinions that I did not say. I have nothing against charters and respect these people for their skills and integrity . <BR>Downrigging is a form of fishing to someone with experiance and money, that puts more fish in the boat. And that my friend is what this is about, to lessen the catch.<BR> When these resorts have waiting lists for people to go out, then I doubt you bring home more fish than they. <BR>If you don't think that there is a problem then why debate it??? The DNR have and will it seems.

right on ShadMan smile.gif except that there clearly seems to be a reduction in fish or at least quality fish that is alarming,, at least to some, like the stewards we all rely on to keep fishing great in MN. I'm for a reduction too, if only for a year or so to see it's effect.

Downriggers aren't the issue.<P>Using them properly is. My thoughts are that when a fish is caught in 30+ feet, and the boat isn't stopped with the fish being played properly it can't do the fish any favors upon release.<P>I don't have any science to base this on, just common sense.

There is no doubt that downrigging takes alot of fish, but there is no way in that narrow 2 month downrigger bite in July and August that they take more than the jig bite that goes on the rest of the year. Saying that taking away the downriggers will be the fix is a complete joke.

Geez<BR>I swore I wouldn't get into this fray but i can't take it anymore! Buckets I have no idea what you are talking about and I'm not sure you do either. The fishing on LOW as never been better, more big fish were caught last summer than any period within the last 30 years. I alway's remember coming to LOW and catching fish since I was young! The nets are no more and the launches do catch some fish but I would love to hear you howl if you knew what the nets did to the lake compared to the launches. The LOW fishery is in great shape. I do not fault the launches for the way they do business. C&R unfortunately does not always work. I lost count last summer of fisherman who pulled dying eyes out of the water that were over 19.5 and counted it to there limit. There is no real answer to the problem, but what I do know is the DNR know a lot more than me and most others and I will stand behind what they decide. A lower limit might help in the long run, but it will take way longer than a year to see the benefits if any.. who knows??<P>Regards<P>Reel

Winter fishing over 30+ feet of water, and sorting through lot's, and lot's of fish is probably a bigger concern.

On a lighter note, the Bears & the Warriors just locked horns at 3 goals a piece after regulation for the section 8 championship.<P>Man for exciting.<P>Well that didn't last long... Warriors Win.<P>Congrats to Warroad, and hats off to both teams in a real battle.<p>[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 03-04-2004).]

Reeltime your point about the nets is well taken. I was around back then and remember well the controversy over that. And lo and behold the resorts are thriveing now even without that income. <BR>I am just saying that downrigging takes more and bigger fish so why not take it away from those who do the most of it! <BR>And by no means do I suggest that that is a cure all or a easy solution!!<BR>The DNR is driveing this wagon and I too will respect their decision. I place fault with noone who is legaly pursueing their sport or livelyhood.<BR> Time's have changed along with skills and technology and population. It seems likely then that the fishing pressures are also much different, adversely so, than they were 20 yrs ago.<P>Again respectfuly just my opinion.

6 Fish Total, no fish under 13 or 14" or between 19 or 20 to 28" No more than 4 can be walleyes. I think the walleye limit for then entire state should be dropped to 4. Another option maybe would be to sell an "intesive harvest" liscense with a higher possesion limt for people that insist on taking more fish home. As far as the people who drive 5 hours to fish here, just because you have to drive a long ways to fish here doesn't mean that you are entitled to take home a lot of fish. People drive a lot farther and spend a lot more money to fish in Canada to take home fewer fish. Some people think that LOW is just the place to go to come home with a lot of fish. Here is a different perspective, how would others like to have their fishing area inandated with people every weekend? It is hard to enjoy fishing when everybody and their brother wants to be fishing in your back yard.

I guess there are three things that are taboo to talk about; politics, religion and LOW fishing! We all want what's best for the lake. I'm thankfull we have a sight like this that we can discuss and debate issues that are near and dear to our heart. Buckets I appreciate your input and point of view. It's the diversity and passion we all have for fishing that make this sight so great!<P>Regards<P>Reel

Ditto Reel Time, I appreaciate this site too for all its info, people, entertainment and humor too. Good fishing to yah.<BR>Mepps I live by a lake by Brainerd so I know the feeling. But it's the way it is, I lived in ND for 30 yrs too and that has it's good and bad too. No lakes and trees really but if you like the lack of people, carrying a loaded uncased long gun in the truck and openness ...It's great!<BR>Canada has it's limits and we have ours and I like to eat fish sometimes twice a week or more. The big limit up there is great but all good things come to a end I guess.

A heated topic as always--anytime the DNR comes up with a proposal its almost 99 percent in effect the next year no matter what the outcry..The proposal I have heard brings the bottom of the scale at 21 inches but that is still in the works. We as guides on this lake do not see a problem as that keeps the breeders still in the lake and a trophy to take home at 28 plus for those that want that.....we cannot control what people tell us they will keep at 1000 am to mount and what happens at 500 pm when we dock.. I know from a presonal aspect that a great turnaround has happended on this lake since the nets came off...in a matter of 5 years it went from uncommon to see a 6 lb'er to very common to see several. Was that a bad move --at the time it was a very hot topic--turned out to be good...will the reduction to 4 be a bad thing --only time will tell...all I know is that any DNR official that I have spoken has told me as of yet we have never hit the target level for this fishery.<BR>As far as downriggers go---I was part of a study 7 yrs ago that looked at the morality rate between downrigging and live bait fishing...this will cause alot of debate--but the results where lower on the mortality for the downriggers ...as far as resort owners having the say in things ...I personally believe that it is very important that they do....there income comes from the lake and the owners that I know realize that it is not what you can get from the lake in the next 10 years but what you can get from the lake in the next 100 yrs. They are the ones that where instrumental in reducing the limits a few yrs back and also in getting the buy out program for the nets

That would be a 4 fish limit with 1 fish over 28" and 3 under 19 1/2" and 2 saugers in summer and 6 in the winter. I think more than 5% of the Lake walleyes spawn in the river thats what the dnr says, no c/r then, closed season would pasify alot of people cept the buisinessees that live off it. the lake would allways be good fishing till close of season april 14th. <P><BR>

That sounds good that they are going to do something! A 4 and 4 would be a little drastic though I think for that big of fishery. Pretty scary.<BR> For people close enough, no big deal, get your 8 and go home for a couple meals. But for us that drive 4 or better hours to get there I think it will put a big damper on things..<BR>I'd like to see them ban down rigging for all charter boats. That seems alot like another form of comercial fishing. Most of the time the operators are probably setting up the rigs so somebody else can pull one in.<P>A 5 and 5 sounds better to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing some changes in the limits. The only question I have is if all fish between 19.5 and 28 inches needed to be released, what happens if you have an injured fish between that range that looks like it won't make it? Seagull lunch?

Hello everyone,<P>Summer Season: 6 fish limit, no more then 4 can be walleyes.<P>Winter Season: 10 fish limit, no more then 4 can be walleyes.<P>Slot Limit: Nothing between 19.5" & 28".<P>Rainy River: Closed, just having catch and release makes no sence to me. On average how often does the same fish get caught in a day over there? Eventually it must get stressed out to the point of dying and/or becoming injured. Thus not allowing it to participate in the spawn.<P>Just my $0.02.

I totally agree with the 4 fish limit, no fish between 19.5 and 28 and one over 28.<BR>I don't think this is too much to ask of the true sportsman out there. Personally if I go up for a day and catch 4 walleye that is plenty to feed the family.<BR>Maybe a 4 fish limit would push Ontario to raise their limit from 2 to 4 and make the limits uniform all over the lake. Would be nice to have some common ground on the lake.<BR>Anyway, 1 vote for a 4 fish limit.

"I kinda wonder if their minds are'nt already made up, the 2004 reg booklet shows the season on the Rainy closing March 1 2005."<P>Fisky - I don't thinks so. That's just as far as the 6 fish normal limit season open on the river. The 2005 Law book should show the March 1st to April 15th 2 fish season. That is the way it appears to me.

Fisky: <P>That makes more sense. I was missing the between 19.5 and 28 have to go back part of your equation.