• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The End of an Era? Sunset View Resort....

I just got wind of some "news" that is quite disturbing for me. I heard that Sunset View Resort on Haubrich's Bay (east side) is closing up after the 2004 season. OK, so you are wondering why I am having a problem with this...here is the main reason why; my grandfather over 30+ yrs ago, took what little "extra" money he had and bought a small mobile home and set it up on the south side of this resort, then called Haubrich's Resort. As a kid my family would go up there nearly every weekend. So for around 20+ yrs in the summer I kind of grew up there. And even after he (grandpa), passed away, my family continues to go there. I have taken my kids there as much as I can, and tried to pass on the "tradition", and now they are closing up? In the past few years since Cliff Haubrich's passing, the resort has changed hands a few times. "Improvements" have been made to the once quaint, yet peaceful resort. There are quite a few families that have "grown up" at this resort, so it is sad to see it end this way. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, why they are closing? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

We stay there and take people fishing out of there a few times a year. We usally rent the chalet. I heard through the grapevine that the owners were having a hard time finding reliable help to manage the place. But who really knows?

Tom was having a hard time finding good help and that might have swayed him alittle the other thing it is just worth to much money. to struggle through and collect on the cabins worry about them being full getting them wrecked and having a relativly short buisness year why not sell them off. I agree it is a sad day when the resorts start selling off first Judds now Sunset. but its just more profitable for them
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

That would be yet another loss for Winnie. If the owners do decide/are selling the resort I hope that it will be purchased as a resort and not broke up into lots like so much other land is in the surrounding areas. A lot of tradition and memories will be broken.

We had 3 cabins booked there for the first week in Aug and last week we got our deposit check back and a letter saying that they had already sold off one of the cabins.

I have a feeling this is going to happen to more and more resorts around the lake. Like you said it is hard to keep them full, to find good help, and to worry about the condition of the cabins.

I see this is part of the regulations on the amount of fish you are able to take. We have been traveling 7 hours to get up there for a spring trip. Decided this year to not go. Reason, I can travel four hours for 50 perch rather than 7 for 40. Same with other species. We were able to catch 100 perch when we first started. Not worth the money or time. Still have the same bunch of guys so the comradary is still there.

Also think as is a connection with the amount of tourists and not paying high enough for cabins to afford better help. A recession has something to do with it.

These are just a couple of thoughts. Has MN ever thought about size limits for persh rather than amount of fish taken?

NIce to chat.
CrookedHOok

I can't believe that there are still people out there that don't think 40 perch is more than enough to keep. I mean honestly, maybe you should think about driving 5 min to the local grocer and buy all the fish you need there. You couldn't pay me to clean more than 20 perch a day anyway.

The last year of the 100 fish limit was probably the worse as far as winter business on Winne goes and it has improved since then just like the fishing has. I don't think it's a matter of the resorts getting the business to stay profitable. It's just that its a better business decision to sell off those expensive lots.

I agree. The quality of the fish caught has only increased since the reduced bag. If 20 a day is not enough for you we will not miss you.

It seems like fishing is destined to go the way of hunting. The land is getting bought up or leased by those that have big$ and it is just gonna be harder for the little guy to get access. Sure there is still the public access but where ya gonna stay?

Dont get upset guys. It was simply an odservation. I do miss the days when 100 was a limit. I have also talked with the owners of resorts and they have agreed.

There once was a time Minnesota had a wealth of outdoor opportunities to share with one and all. We welcomed those willing to travel from Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, the Dakotas and more. Come to Minnesota, we said, and eat fish three times a day for one week or three; and then go home with coolers full of frozen memories for all your friends and neighbors, aunts and uncles. Feed the town from our bounty, we said. It will never end, we said.

Oops.

If we are ever going to have a prayer of a chance to have any kind of quality left in our fishing waters, the days of (virtually) unlimited harvest are going to have to go away.

People who feel the need to “justify” the expense of a fishing trip by the weight of their cooler are simply going to have to go somewhere else, or stay home.

I guess that that is fine by me.

Well since the topic has strayed I will add my 2 cents worth. I've seen the pictures and heard the stories of days gone by. Where 4-8 pound walleyes were as abundant as the 1-2 pounders we catch today. It all boils down to one thing....greed! We as humans tend to use up too much of our natural resources without any thought of the future. Personally I know that nothing is better than a fresh catch frying in the pan. If I/we happen to limit out on fish, I prefer to keep one for a meal as soon as we get home, and maybe one in the freezer for another day. I do have grandparents that cannot fish anymore due to health reasons, so I will give them some fish from time to time. I see no reason to keep fish in the freezer as they don't keep well very long, and they just don't taste the same as fresh caught. In the off seasons...late fall early spring where I can't get out...off to the grocery store I go. Sure farm raised isn't as good, it cures the craving until I can. Because of peoples greed we have to have all sorts of laws made to protect us, and to protect the future. This applies to more than just fishing laws... think about it. Thanks to my dad and his dad for learning early on that self conservation is the key, and for teaching self conservation to me. A person can only eat so much fish before they go to waste.

I too remember the days of riding along with Cliff and Bill in the truck taking a load to the garbage dump. The most memorable of these trips was when we stopped at the dump, and there were a couple of bear cubs scurrying up the tree. Cliff would tell us to stay in the truck. He would hoot and holler while Bill and him quickly unloaded the garbage. We never did see the momma bear, but we sure heard her in the thick brush. Cliff was a great guy to say the least, and there will never be another like him. I'd go to Cliff with whatever change I had in my pocket, ususally less than a .75 and he'd give me 1/2 dozen minnows or more. He never counted his bait, just a quick guess. One dozen to him was about 1-1/2 to 2 dozen in reality. I'd use my grandfathers small aluminum boat and row out some distance from shore and catch perch. Most of the time I would let them go, it was the fun of catching that I enjoyed. I probably know you Terry, but I just can't place you right now. As the saying goes...our memory deteriorates as we get older! HA HA

Woody,
I was first brought up with Irene and Garland Miller. After Garland died of Cancer we eventually bought their trailer.
My wife and I eventually purchased a trailer from Wyatts.
About 8 years later we moved it to Leech because Hammerland sent the lease through the roof and we couldn't afford it. I new it was only a matter of time before everyone else was evicted.

I used to hang with Don and Al.
Remember hanging from the chain strung across the back of the garbage truck as though you were water sking and trying to see how close you could lean back without touching the ground going down the road?
I can never say I did stupid S*&ut.

Remember the summer when there was a coon population expolsion and the dads would go out after cards and beverages to shoot em out of the tree's. I was thankful because I new in the morning I was going to be asked to pick all the garbage up before breakfast.
Terry

Ahhh the good ole days! HA HA My Grandfather was Floyd. He had the blue trailer with the brown addition beginning the second stretch of trailers on the resort. I can still remember Father Lehman moaning and groaning as he'd get into or out of his hammock, or even his boat! My parents eventually bought a newer trailer after being told the old one had to go due to a cabin moving in that spot. I think you were 2-3 trailers down, on the other side of Mark? or was it Jimmy? I'm trying to help my parents find a place for their trailer now. They have it fixed up really nice inside, and hate to see it all go to waste. I may have put them on to a spot on Leech, and personally I hope they take it. I never fished Leech, and although the pressure seems pretty heavy year round, I think it would be better than a day on Winnie. ( I know that will raise a few eyebrows, just my own opinion). The only reason I say that is Winnie rarely has a walleye chop, but more of Lake Superior sized waves, making it hard to get out. So we never ventured out much past the bowl between Bowens and Tamarrac Point. If anyone has ideas of where they could park their Mobile home at a resort, please e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks!

[This message has been edited by woodyjdh (edited 01-29-2004).]

I like the idea of conservation as everyone has mentioned. We have learned from mistakes made by our parents and so on but let's face it, it was the mentality back then and we have since paid for it. I dosen't pay to crucify anyone for it but rather learn from their mistakes.

I have been fishing Winnie for 38 years and guiding on it for 12. The mentality back in the 60's and 70's was "your skill as a fisherman was measured by how many and how big your fish were". As a kid growing up with these thoughts it was tough coming in some days with a few or small fish. You were looked down upon. For the most part though it was nothing to come in with a limit of 4-6 pound eye's.

As I grew up I started reading and talking to others that began the movement to catch and release. In the mid to late 70's fishing was rather tough at times. Being only 10 -12 years of age when I could first run around in a boat I couldn't go out to far and it seemed at times that every fish in the lake had been caught. it was tough going.

I knew Cliff Haubrach, used to ride the garbage truck with him and other kids in the resort. I spent my summers there. He would let us take a boat out ever so often and I remember looking back at the resort never once thinking it would be gone some day.

Since those days the DNR has cut back a little on the stripping in little cutfoot on 46. Catch and release has made a huge improvement for the lake when compared to the late 70's, early 80's.

The same goes for the perch. I have pictures and remember the days when we would catch them. My Dad would slam them against the gunnel of the boat cursing the rough fish and leaving a trail of them floating on the surface. It was nothing to catch 1 1/2 - 2 lb fish. Sometimes even bigger.

Since the slot, it has been a welcome site seeing the perch growing to nearly what they once were. I know it has made things tougher for people like Ron and Sharon, Pam and Tom and others but I think the rewards are right around the corner and I applaud their patients and efforts.

Two years ago while heading out for a day on the water with clients I looked back at Judd's resort only to see nobody, it was silent. No kids or adults moving around the resort much like it was when I was a kid at Harbrauch's. I felt as though a piece of americana was dying before my eye's.

Winnie is one of the most wonderfull lakes to fish and guide on. I tell my clients that this is probally the most remote looking lake this side of the border lakes. I can pull a shore and make shore lunch for them. You just can't do that anywhere.

Hopefully it will stay that way but also have some places for people to stay and fish from and not worry if the next resort will be closing.

Terry Hagstrom
Terry's Guide Service
www.fishingmn.com/terry

well this thread has really taken a turn..one thing we have to rember is most of the other resorts on winnie are on fed. land and will not be sold off. I believe the only other one that could on the north end is Bowens. The perch limits and the walleye slot have turned the lake around considerably for the better (so Far). As for the waves if you think winnie is bad wait till you get to leachit gets worst than winnie. One place you might try for the trailer is little winnie resort.
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Woody,
Yes we had the trailer on your side of Mark and my brother (The head case) kept the trailer on the south side of Mark.
Yes I remember Father Lehman also.
I know which trailer your in. What do you think about Hammerland filling in the huge wetland out back. I can't believe for one minute that the DNR approved that. The last time I talk to the DNR they said he couldn't do that. Aparently they did know who they were talking to.
Since all of the changes have taken place I can say the only thing we miss as a family is the sugar sand beach. We called it the Carribean of the north.

After being contained in the bay as you spoke of I thought the lake wasn't so good for a few years until I aquired a much bigger boat and really spent time fishing the main part of the lake.

After spending many days guiding on both waters over the past 10 years I would still take Winnie in a heart beat.

I have had many days on Winnie where my clients and I have had 40-100+ fish days.
I can't say the same for Leech.

I think the slot though a little too tight has certainly helped the lake.
As much as they don't want it on Leech I think it would do a world of good for the lake.

Terry
Terry's Guide Service
www.fishingmn.com/terry

Well as far as Leech being better than Winnie...I stand corrected. I couldn't really form an opinion since never having been on Leech. All of the stuff that Hammerlunds have done has raised questions. With all that they have done there, legal or not, I for one wouldn't buy a lot there, as I can see it all coming back to haunt the new owners.(I could be wrong, have been wrong many times before)
Not to mention the problems in the past with the guy living in Cliff's old house. It was always a childhood dream of mine to someday own the resort, and keep it a family type resort. Well the powerball hasn't worked in my favor so that isn't going to happen. HA HA In the future I plan on staying at one of the resorts on the other side of Winnie, and fishing places I have never fished before. From all the reports I've seen, I think it would be a good time had by all.

Terry, allow me to say that was the best response I have had the pleasure of reading. It was precise with memories and great stories. Thanks for the intelligent and thoughtful words.

As I read through the responses, people seem to think that I am a greedy fisherman that does not care about the environment but only filling my freezer. Not the case. When I heard about this and spoke with some locals they explained to me that on smaller less fished lakes there is such an over abundance that the fish are actually deforming because of the lack of room and the lack of food. I have been also been told that not more than 20 years ago Perch were considered a rough fish and were harvested by the barrel and thrown away. I simply want to make the most of my trip. If I were to propose anything it would be to create slot limits and not amount limits. This is just a humble opinion, nothing more.

I in no way want to be critical of those making rules or the locals fishing the lakes. I fish but one weekend in the winter and one week in the summer. I have not time to enjoy this sport and want to make the most of it. Fact be known we have released a lot of fish over the years, (about 2000 in a week in spring) and are very picky about what we take. In my comments I simply wanted to state an opinion. I want to thank you for yours.

Very Sincerely
CH