• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pardon my ignorance...

But what exactly is a Dead Head?

------------------
Ice fishin SUCKS...
But I do it anyway.

[This message has been edited by BIG ISLAND DUDE (edited 03-03-2004).]

Someone who listens to the Grateful Dead...LOL

Seriously though, a dead head is a log that partially floats in the water. Most of the time they do stick out a little with one end on the bottom, but a lot of times they float just under the surface. They can be caused naturally or in most cases are left-overs from the logging days.

Early in the year, cast at every dead head you can find. They are known for holding 4-5 pound bass wink.gif

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

Had a guest that hit one that was just below the surface about 4 years ago. He was going wide open with a 115 horse on the south end of Jessie. Ripped the steering cables from the motor and they had to use their trolling motor to get back. I pull at least 5 or more from the lake each year. Most of them are saw logs and they were cut to 16 feet.
I tell everyone to take it slow if the water is less than 15 feet.

------------------
jessieview.com

Almost all of the deadheads I have ever seen had one end on or in the bottom of the lake. They are often in the same place for a couple of years, even in rivers. The Prarie River from the access north of 169 to 61 is loaded with them.

Coach Dog is right. I like to drift back and forth near deadheads in late summer when the bass are deep in clear lakes and drag a plastic worm or Mr. Twister near deadheads. Sometimes you can pull several bass off one log, especially if the water is 20'-25' deep. Big gills will hang near them at times as well, if they are near a weededge.

Last year while fishing on Little Sand I knoticed a lot of dead heads comming out into the lake from the river to the north. They were in water that ranged from 9' to 12' deep. Considering the lake was down, is this the only time your boat will be exposed to them, or do they float up as the lake levels rise? I thought that one end was burried in the mudd and thats where they stay. But I recall my prop hitting something one year when the water levels were up. This has been on my mind since finding them, I also wonder if anyone has taken a direct hit on one and what kind of damage they cause.

Do they float up as the water level rises? or do they submerge deeper? I've been running in and out of that river for about 9 years now with out a problem, but I was unaware that they were there. I just don't want to take out my lower unit.

Willowcat. be it rocks or deadheads,, just know where your running and if not,,slow down wink.gifI tore off the bottom1/4" to 1/2"of the skag and opened up the lower unit once thinking my buddy knew where he had placed a 52' houseboat on Namakan(sp)few years back.I also had a buddys boat doing over 50mph thru a channel of nothing but standing timber .. Difference is ,, i knew the channel well,, didnt know Nam as well and still dont ,, but you can bet i remeber one spot very well grin.gif

[This message has been edited by rockhardinmn (edited 03-04-2004).]

Well thats just it, they are spred out all over the place where the river enters the lake. Thats why I'm wondering if thies things float up off the bottom or if they stay at one level no matter how high or low the water gets.

winter run offs allways has some sort of junk floating in it , many times wavs will bust off limbs or what have you .. some times its just plain luck and use common sense

I talked to a local resort owner about them. He said that he was unaware that they were even there and he has been there for years. So it seems that as the water levels rise the deadheads submerge deeper in the water, and do not float just under the surface.