• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i wonder how is fishing during march my family and i will stay motel in grand rapid while i fishing red lake and big winnie lake so i want to fishing bowsting area

[This message has been edited by shadrapla (edited 02-22-2004).]

march should be excellent fishing at the lakes your going. while fishing perch on winnie you might want to try alittle shallower than you usually fish them in the midwinter they like to move into that shoreline by bowens and tamarck.
I will try and let you know whats happening as we get closer
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Just go out there and fish with the other 200 people on the north end. Looks like Red Lake for God's sake!

GC

Greg is right, I was there last night and it was like there was a big neon sign on the hiway, "For Crappies Turn Here." I have never seen so many people on the lake in my life, and I have been fishing it for twenty years. I will tell you we did catch crappies but they were all very small. 1/2 lb. or less was the norm. I imagine all those people were keeping them too! We kept three fish and one was a perch!

What can a person expect when every fishing report from ice on to ice out is the same. Every week it states "crappies and perch are biting on the north end of Bowstring". It doesn't make any difference if they are or not but every year it is the same ritual with the reports. It just keeps driving people to fish there and sooner or later they will start and then the lake gets pounded. Oh well it will never change!!!

i don't know guys, i seem to recall about 9 or 10 years ago when it looked like small cities on the north end, the west side in two different groups, and the south end by the island. do we forget that soon? it was a hay day!! nicest run of slabs i had ever gotten into to that time period anyway. what a blast. i really think it put a serious hurt on the crappie population back then. i believe the red lake boom is the best thing that could have happened to bowstring, and all the other local lakes outside of just plain shutting them off for a few years.
i have not fished down by the island since then, but have often wondered how they were biting there. anybody?

------------------
a proud member in good standing of the International Brotherhood of Triangulists!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Jigglestick ~

You're right about the Red Lake fishery taking pressure off many of our local lakes. It's like they were given a reprieve of sorts. I've witnessed several lakes in the area that have really bounced back.

Was on one just the other day, where I grew up. These fish aren't Red Lake quality but are pushing it. Very nice fish with absolutely no fishing pressure. What could be better?

Tight lines..........Greg C.

The big run from years back did have some excellent sized crappies on Bowstring and that did put a major hurt on the lake. According to the 2002 netting report the lake has a good population of crappies coming up again. The problem is they are in the 9" to 10" range right now and with all the people out there I don't think we will see the size of the last big bite. I fished there twice this year and the majority of the fish are in that size range right now. I haven't fished the south end yet but if I go back I will probably try there or the west side just to get away from the crowds.
Your right about Red helping a lot of lakes out as far as fishing pressure goes. I fish there a few times a year since 1964, wow that's a long time ago, and even with all the people I can still fish all by my self. That's what's great about the lake. I guess the good thing about Bowstring getting crowded is I now go to the smaller lakes in the area and have them all to myself. That part is great.
I'm going to go mix up some tarter sauce for my dinner of Red lake slabs. Nice thing about them is a few go a long way for a meal.
Good luck on the ice, time is runnung out so enjoy what days are left!!!

guys, i will have a bunch of time on my hands, and i would just love to get out on bowstring during late ice. the last time i went out on the south end, i had to wade out to the ice, and then for some reason, i did not stop whistling "yes jesus love's me" the whole way on and off, an outing to remember for sure.
any body want to go, just give me a shout after road restrictions go on.

------------------
a proud member in good standing of the International Brotherhood of Triangulists!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

i Know that in Bowstrings days of Past i seen lots more than 200 people out there . Greg there is a spot out there that i used to hit that was different than Jack and the guys allways Fished on the north end . If you would like to give it a try drop me a Email or i can give you a call around the 20th when i am up there grin.gif Or ask W.L. that works for the K city there about the spot that he tried to kick the guy off off that owned a 4x8 portable with 5 holes all on 1 side of the house . it is a small spot leading up to where Jack and the boys fished. Not much bigger than your truck. it did produce for G.S. , another buddy from down here and myself last year about this time . R.C. and his Bro B.C. might be able to tell ya also grin.gif

Greg ,, it would be easier to call you in case you had any questions.. doing it now smile.gif