• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

citiot huh? sounds like a pretty insightful term. my neighbor john larson was watching out his garage window and noticed this individual display huge portions of poor judgment yesterday. lucky for this individual he was close to a phone. he saw the guy go by closer to shore, then saw him turn and kick it in the @$$, straight out toward the middle and open water!! john said he knew he was not going to make it. he hit one area of slush, then another, then another, then the open water, and the sled fell right on it's face, and down it went. he ran to the phone dialed 911, then grabbed a life jacket, a waterski type pull behind inner tube and rope. he headed out without hesitation.he was was only able to make it to within 100 yards of the individual. he said the ice around him in places was only 1/4 inch thick!!! he said if he stayed to the ares where there was snow, it felt firmer, but if he got away from that it was pretty flimsy, with open water holes all around him he knew he could not possibly make it any further. the man was yelling for help, and he tried to calm him down and kept reasuring the man that help was on the way, and to keep moving towards solid ice. john stayed out there until the rescue boat picked him up, and the airboat was able to retrieve the man from the icy water. he was still concious, but was suffering from severe hypothermia. he will be o.k.
what he was thinking, who knows. i do know he is one lucky man, with a huge debt of gratitude, to the rescuers who risked their own lives, and to a real stand up guy, as my kids call him "johny boy" larson.
great job buddy smile.gif
be careful out there, jigglestick.

Some citiot was out snowmobiling on Moose Lake north of Deer River yesterday afternoon and went through, about 500-700 yards west of the east access. The guy is lucky someone was watching his stupidness and called 911. The real bad news is that the Cohasset Fire Dept. came out with the Ice Angel (airboat)and broke ice from the east landing out to where this citiot was and then all the way to the south landing at Voights. So when you do hit the ice on Moose, keep that in mind!!!

bmc

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I meet John at Camp Jigglestick last winter. Nice guy.
Who knows what the guy on the sled was thinkin. Huge amounts of stupidity for sure.

A century ago someone that foolish would have died.

You see all kinds of goofy stuff on ice. About a week ago I seen someone on the little lake here in town buzzing around on a 4 wheeler, didn't go through but it must have been close. Last year early on Vermilion seen some with a fullsize pickup on 7" of ice, you could feel the water push out in front of him a 1/2 mile away. Both made it, but really pushing their luck to the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I like knopper's view of the situation, made me laugh. Speaking of Moose, anyone been fishing out there yet? I saw some houses out there the other day and wondered if they were picking up eyeballs yet.