• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anybody fished big island lately. I have been up here for a couple of days and the action just isnt there. weve been fishin in the back bay in 10-30 ft of water.If any one has any advice please let me know.thanx and happy fishin.

------------------
I never vote for, I alawys vote against

Don't get down man, I haven't really heard a good panfish report at all this year. I know it's been unusually tough for me. Oh well, I'm just waiting for the trout opener, that's what I really want when it comes to ice fishing.

Brian

I'll add an amen to that BMC. Panfish and walleyes are fun, don't get me wrong, but there's something about that trout. Trout season comes along and that's all I'm doing. Something about pulling them lakers out of the deep clear waters, it gets to a man. It's coming soon, hopefully we'll have enough ice to put snowmobiles out, some of the trout lakes have just totally frozen in the last couple weeks.

good fishin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I own a cabin on Big Ole, which is right across the road from Big Island. I've never been up there in the winter and was wondering if anyone has ever fished through the ice there. If so I'd LOVE to know what you found.

Doug Martin
Lewiston, MN

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Iron Ian, my buddy has a cabin on big island.We have portaged to many lakes around there to fish. Have had succsess on lots of different lakes. Im not sure why but we never managed to get to Big Ole in the canoe. Is Ole a fun lake to fish any info would be nice Thanks Sean

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you guys, but I've been out of town.

Big Ole is a great lake to fish, but not an easy one. The nice thing is that almost every inch of shoreline is fishable. In the shallow bays, use your typical weedless rigs for great pike and largemouth fishing. On deeper shorelines, use jigs or cranks for some exciting smallies and buckets. Trolling or casting the 12-14 ft flat out in front of the cabins toward the west shoreline can produce monster pike. Smallies 4 lbs+, Largemouths 5 lbs+, and pike 10 lbs+ aren't rare. Also great crappie fishing in the summer months around sunset. The thing that makes Ole so great is that the people who fish it practice catch and release. If you decide to put a canoe in, I would strongly urge you to do the same. Keep it a great fishery for years to come.

Thanks for your interest. I'd be happy to share more. If you're interested, email me at: [email protected]

It was interesting to hear you have a cabin on big ole. My relatives used to own the lodge there. My great grandfather and grand mother lived there in a wall tent on the point for a few yrs. My uncle still has a cabin there along with some shirt tail relatives. Could we be related some how? I've spent many days there fishing and have had alot of fun there. I think the last time I fished there we went over to little ole and found some real nice crappies in the spring. We've caught some nice walleyes out of there also,but not many. My favorite fishing there is the crappie bit at sundown over in front of that little bay where that log used to stick out of the water.I've fished alot of other lakes in the area over the yrs. My grandfather used to guide in that area for several yrs. so I learned alot of good places to go. [email protected]

• 1 month later...

Hey Ironman. I understand you have a cabin on Big Ole. I'm very familiar w/ the lake myself. Have you had much success fishing the neighboring lake McKewen? I would like to give it a try sometime. Also, is it true that the DNR sampled Big Ole a couple years ago and ended up killing some nice fish that got caught in the gill nets???

Big Island Dude:
Have you ever caught anything out of the "Black Hole"? My friends and I fished it a couple years ago but didn't catch anything. It seems kind of freaky.

Hey-coach dog or whom it may concern.

I fished Mckewen once from shore, right were the road goes by,and we caught some of the biggest sunfish-bluegils i have ever seen, we realeased them. I would be interested in hearing more about Mckewen and big ole. I have fished the blackhole of bigisland many times,it is very deep and has alot of springs so i dont trust it in the winter[maybe im just paraniod]. In the open water months it is good for panfish and sometimes bass. the fish stay real close to the edge of the bog. I usually just go back there to portage over to crooked and no mans lakes.--Big Island [email protected]

------------------
I never vote for, I alawys vote against

[This message has been edited by BIG ISLAND DUDE (edited 04-04-2003).]

I have fished Mckewen several times but its been awhile. We caught nice gills some bass, and an occasional northern. There used to be a beaver house down at the end of the lake on the right hand side, try there.

Coach Dog, you sound familiar. Have we met? Anyway, it is very true that the DNR took some nice fish out (copyright killed) in their netting surveys of Big Ole, but that's just an unfortunate result of the survey process. In the grand scheme of things I'm sure it did little damage. It is sad that those big fish had to die in the name of science, but what can you do. Mckewen is indeed an interesting lake. I've fished it several times with varied success. It used to be a great lake for bass, pike, and panfish. There's even been rumors of muskie caught there. A reliable source told me that about four years ago the lake suffered significant winter kill. When I heard that, I drug a couple of my buddies over there to fish it. I didn't tell them about the winter kill, so they were a little upset after they found out. Especially after we fished for about three hours and didn't even see a swirl on the surface. Oh well, I'll try anything once. If anyone knows anything about Mckewen freezing out, please let me know.

I have indeed fished McKewen Lake. What a complete waste of time. I spent several hours fancasting the hell out of that lake, not a thing. I am pretty sure the rumors of the freeze out are true. What's up with all the Ole people. I also have fished there. A nice little lake I must say, a real charlie b-otch to get to though. I have visited the lake on some summer holidays, and have seen some spectacles. I guess I try to stay away from there now. Hey I am coming up to that area for opener. Any idea on some early season fishing (Ole is far from it). Let me know, thanks guys.

Well, the verdict is still out on Lake McKewen. It just doesn't sound like it's too appealing, especially if it froze out. The comments from "JiggaMan" sounded like it probably isn't worthwhile. Jigga, you sound a little bitter about your experience there. I think I'll pass on fishing that lake. Has anyone fished the Smith Lakes? I hear there are some respectable bass in there. Every time I drive by that lake there is a boat or two there. Some info. on where to go on the lakes, which is better (East or West), and what presentation is recommended would be appreciated.

McKewen did not have a complete freeze out! I was out there two years ago just casting from shore for crappies in the spring and caught 2 small pike and some decent bluegills. The bluegills were half a pound and they would have been some of the first fish to go. Pike can survive in conditions as low as 2 ppm of dissolved O2 and the two small ones I caught were 3-4 years old. If it did have a partial freeze out it had to have been the winter of '97 because the DNR did there survey in the summer of '97 and there were lots of gills, crappies and pike present. With 30 feet of water out there I am having a hard time buying that it froze out.

There are crappies in West Smith, nothing huge, but decent. East Smith is a good bass lake and pretty good for crappies in the spring and early ice. Smith lake can be very good for pike and nice crappies! I was out there fishing before a cold front hit one evening and ran into a few nice walleyes around 2-3 pounds. Fished it twice after for eyes and never landed one.