• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2018 Rainy River Ice Conditions

LucasLongCaster

Around this time last year this thread was started by @Royal_Dutchman. I got my trip planned for April but by the look of the extended forecast it's not looking to promising, especially compared to where it was at last year on Feb 23rd. 

This warm weather has me itching for April. Anyone ice fish the river lately? How thick is the ice up there?

Ive got the itch too!!  long range forcasts arent looking too promising from the sounds of it. Price we have to pay after the amazing weather we had at the end of last Rainy season. 

Can someone explain what the new rule is about crossing over into canada?  as long as you dont go ashore or anchor you're good. But what else?  Just an Ontario fishing license? No remote border pass?  HELP!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SPUD BAR said:

Can someone explain what the new rule is about crossing over into canada?  as long as you dont go ashore or anchor you're good. But what else?  Just an Ontario fishing license? No remote border pass?  HELP!!!

Correct .  There have been some law changes up there .On border waters with Canada you CAN now enter into the Canadian waters to fish and or sight see , but with restrictions, such as , you CAN'T go on to shore , you CAN'T anchor , you CAN'T hover with another boat . You CAN troll and/or drift . You do still need a Canadian fishing license. You must follow Canadian fish limits , and other regulations that are in place .You CAN'T cross and use live minnows , or leeches , or possess either of them ,but you CAN use nightcrawlers if they are in worm bedding ,  not black dirt...  There are some grey areas that I need to get clarification on pertaining to alcohol in the boat , and if one can possess fish that were legally caught in Minnesota waters , my guess is no alcohol , and no fish caught on our side are allowed in your boat if you cross over into the Canadian waters , and also not sure about entering back into our waters with walleye from the Canadian side , I would guess if your back on our side , one must follow our possession laws....................... It's eliminating the need to do the Customs thing , passports and such .. IMHO it's kind of a good thing , but definitely presents many drawbacks and potential issues. I do know if one gets caught breaking there laws , there definitely is some steep consequences , so be wise if entering there waters !

• Thumbs Up 1

In 2013 and 2014, the river didn't open up through Baudette until 4/16 & 4/17 respectively. Add a couple to a few days to that for 4 mile bay. This year seems like we are on a similar pace. 2014 was the coldest winter of my lifetime.

In 2013 around 3/15 the river was open about 7 miles east of the Birchdale landing. The average temp for the month of February that year was -7 and for March it was 29 degrees.

In 2014 around 3/15 the river was open about 23 miles east of the Birchdale landing so certainly further behind but it caught up in the end. The average temp for the month of February that year was -12 and for March it was 26 degrees.

Our February this year finished with an average temp of 15 degrees so I think we are actually a little ahead of schedule. It will all depend on if we can start getting into the 40's and 50's but I think those two years are good barometers to follow.

Can't wait for the first report of where it's open to.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rschmidty said:

In 2013 and 2014, the river didn't open up through Baudette until 4/16 & 4/17 respectively. Add a couple to a few days to that for 4 mile bay. This year seems like we are on a similar pace. 2014 was the coldest winter of my lifetime.

In 2013 around 3/15 the river was open about 7 miles east of the Birchdale landing. The average temp for the month of February that year was -7 and for March it was 29 degrees.

In 2014 around 3/15 the river was open about 23 miles east of the Birchdale landing so certainly further behind but it caught up in the end. The average temp for the month of February that year was -12 and for March it was 26 degrees.

Our February this year finished with an average temp of 15 degrees so I think we are actually a little ahead of schedule. It will all depend on if we can start getting into the 40's and 50's but I think those two years are good barometers to follow.

Can't wait for the first report of where it's open to.

Somebody's getting antsy!!!  I love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got my first Rainy River trip booked for 4/12-4/15 so hopefully the ice will be in that sweet spot.

Thanks for the great info guys!  Ill be up fishing 4/11- 4/14.  cant come soon enough

I know we have a lot more ice this year than normal but does anyone know how much earlier the pelland access usually opens compared to the down stream ones? I would think it would be quite a bit earlier considering it's closer to the dam? 

Someone on a FB group I'm part of posted this link to daily satellite images. 

It isn't the easiest to see but if you remove the state borders from the settings, I think I'm seeing that the river is open to around Pelland.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2018_02_22_053&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA3&resolution=2000m

Rainy is open just past the Big Fork. The past two days opened from Pelland to the Big Fork

Edited by Mark Johnson
Added a line
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am very interested and excited too! Does anyone know if the pelland access gets plowed out at all? There's nothing better than a day of fishing on the river and stopping across the road for a burger and a beer. Amazing food at the Junction!

Fins n' feathers, I realized no one including me answered your first question.

The river always opens up first in International falls and then moves west towards Lake of the Woods. The Rainy River is about 85 miles long. I usually start hearing about the River opening when it gets around Pelland which is 11 miles down the road from International Falls. From there, The river will open a different rates from year to year based on different factors but it usually takes about a month give or take a week on either side from there.The river can open up pretty quickly especially the last 30 miles where reports of the ice out moving 6-9 miles in a day. 

All the accesses will get plowed at some point. The counties usually wait until the shore ice receded enough to where plowing the ramp is worth while, but Pelland will be one of the first.

lastly, it looks like the river is starting to open close to the Black River which is a few miles past the Big Fork.

On 3/6/2018 at 6:53 AM, Luzaich said:

Is there a lot of shore ice? Can u get a boat in at any of the landings or push them in? 

Can anyone confirm or deny?

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard Ramps havnt been cleared yet around Pelland but river is open up to Lowman.

• Thumbs Up 1

I checked the ramp today by Pelland. It is not clear as of now.   Still a lot of shore ice but it's getting better. Ill post when I see  opened   

• Thumbs Up 2

looks to me like its open 4 miles or so north of loman this morning from the satellite image.......hopefully we will start seeing a few updates soon.  Somebody needs to keep the heat on overnight, these 10 degree nights are not helping things.

Edited by Uncle Rico

Hey Everyone,

We have started our yearly thread.  It was a crazy winter and we finally had some spare time to check the river.  I will update the thread everytime we check the river.  We probably won't get to check it until this weekend again.  But I do try and share information that I get from friends and others.

Thanks and everyone will be fishing before we know it.

• Thumbs Up 4