Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MN BassFisher

Icing Catfish - First Timer!

MN BassFisher

A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Like 2

Borch

Looks like you had a lot of action.  They are fun to catch on light gear for sure.  Way to figure them out!

MN BassFisher
1 hour ago, Borch said:

Looks like you had a lot of action.  They are fun to catch on light gear for sure.  Way to figure them out!

Not nearly as much action as Rick G and Royce right next to us but we were pleasantly surprised! Jigging 6mm tungstens and watching rod tips/spring bobbers is probably not the most productive method but it worked with pretty good success for us. I must have dropped 8 of them halfway up after hooking them, is that common? I could feel them rolling and line popping off their fins so I'd imagine it is pretty common to hook and then lose them.

• Like 1

Borch

Yeah a lot of times you just hook a whisker.  With all the thrashing and rolling some come unbuttoned.  Treble hooks help some but they then take longer to unhook.  I prefer small jigging spoons when they are cooperative.  But simetimes you need to downsize. 

eyeguy 54

fun time for sure!  amazes me how light they bite at times. Rick G is the man on detecting the bite and I learned a lot from him. And yes when in a catfish tornado those whiskers will make a guy set the hook! LOL  I like the treble hook also.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.
    • UncleKes
      By UncleKes
      I used to fish a small lake just north of Malmo on Milla Lacs at a town called Glen.  The Lake was called Clear Lake.  I have not fished it in quite some time and wondered if anyone has any information on it.  (Ice conditions, whats biting, etc.)
      I moved to St. Cloud a few years ago but thought it might be nice to ice fish the lake this winter.  I used to catch some nice stringers of perch, crappies, and sunfish.  
      Can anyone tell me if they are still selling bait at the Gas Station/RestaurantStore at Malmo?
      Any info would be appreciated.
      Uncle Kes
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got on a small lake in the Bemidji area to chase after some BIG panfish. Snowstorm came through and made them finicky but managed to pull couple topside for a pic. 5mm Tungsten jig tipped with a Trigger X mustache worm did the trick! Probably my favorite fish to catch in the winter!

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got on a small lake in the Bemidji area to chase after some BIG panfish. Snowstorm came through and made them finicky but managed to pull couple topside for a pic. 5mm Tungsten jig tipped with a Trigger X mustache worm did the trick! Probably my favorite fish to catch in the winter

• Rick
      By Rick
      Minnesota Ice Fishing Reports by Area - Share you ice fishing stories here...Click it to set the hook!!!
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Went and checked the first ice lakes and found .5 inches to almost 2 inches. If you go out please bring a buddy and dry clothes.
    • Barrington
      By Barrington
      NOW BOOKING FOR THE 2018 ICE FISHING SEASON!!
      LIMITED SPOTS ARE AVAILABLE..

Barrington Lake camp will now be offering remote ice fishing for the very first time thanks to its unique train access. You can also come by ski-doo from the town of Savant Lake. Its a 30-45min ride.
      Ice fishing with us at Barrington r Camp will be one of the coolest fishing trips you ever experience! Pristine snow covered lakes in the rugged Canadian Shield. Remoteness! Where the fish are plentiful and tasty!
      During our ice fishing season, we use the main lodge for accommodations. The air tight wood stoves in every room keep you  toasty warm and the propane lights make it cozy and rustic.
      This is remote ice fishing at its best. At camp you will have a heated room, Wi-Fi, full kitchen with propane fridge and stove, a newly built heated outhouse, and electricity on demand to charge batteries and extra lights. A flat screen TV for hockey games is also available.
      We access numerous lakes by snowmobile, ATV and even snowshoes. We travel with portable ice huts to keep us mobile and on top of fish.  Water will be available through the lake but there will be no running water for showers.
      The fishing has been outstanding all summer long so why not extend it year round. Main species in the lake are walleye, northern, white fish, and some perch. There has been numerous 26"-30" walleye's caught on a weekly basis through out the summer. This camp and lake have been private up until this past summer. 90% of groups who came for the first time this year have already booked for next year. References are available.
      Limited spots available for ice-fishing. Only 2 rooms available in the winter months. You will have 1000's of acres of water at to your self.

******4 Man Sunday to Monday Special $600/Person******
      Included in the package..
      -Accommodations
      -Train tickets
      -Ice auger
      -Ice Shelter
      -Quad or Ski doo for traveling the late
      All you need is your equipment & Food. Our ice fishing packages are very flexible and can be customized to suit your requests. Come try one of our Northwestern Ontario winter getaways, ice fishing remote waters!
      The train departs either Armstrong Ontario north of Thunder Bay, or Sioux Look out Ontario 2 days a week. Its a 1.5 hour ride direct to camp from either direction. Dates can be re-arranged to suit your needs.
      Call or e-mail for more information.
      Tonnes of new reviews & references available from this year.
      Check out our website at
      www.barringtonlakecamp.com
      or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Barringtonlake/
      Jonathan & Lyndsey
      807-584-2202
      807-407-4202                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      807-407-3997
      You wont be disappointed!! No one has been yet!
    • Dock Boy
      By Dock Boy
         Voyageur Park Lodge on Lake Kabetogama recently purchased brand new Ice Trek brand fish houses to rent on Lake Kabetogama.  The houses themselves are all aluminum with spray foam insulation, clean, warm and comfortable!  If your looking for something different from the usual LOW, Red experience check us out.  These are day use houses only and we will offer lodging at Voyageur Park Lodge.  We will only have one lodging unit open in the winter, so fishing parties will be the only guests at the resort, so lots of privacy and no other parties around.  Fish houses will be private out on the ice also! 
      We are excited to be the only angling houses on Lake Kabetogama!  If your looking for  something different let us know!
      Voyageur Park Lodge (Reef Runner Ice houses)
    • CarterJohn
      By CarterJohn
      Hello everyone I'm just looking for fishing reports in the BWCAW, Ely area. Thanks all
    • Monkster
      By Monkster
      We're a little over a week away from the 6th annual LCRA Ice Fishing contest on Lake Gervais in Little Canada, MN! Lots of great prizes, over $10,000 in prizes and raffle. Grand prize for fishing is a Marcum flasher, a Clam X200 flip over thermal and an Eskimo auger! Come on out Saturday, February 4th, noon to 3pm. Line up early for a good spot, the tent will open by 9am with beverages (alcohol and non-alcohol), food and raffle tickets. The raffle is the LCRA's winter raffle. $5 tickets, grand prize is a trip to Vegas and $1,000 cash! You don't have to be present to win in the raffle, that will be drawn after the prizes for the fishing contest around 4pm that day.

The Little Canada Recreation Association is a non-profit group that raises money to offset registration fees for youth in the Little Canada, Roseville, Maplewood and Vadnais Heights areas. We also fund scout projects, playground equipment and many types of sports equipment for area teams.

For more information on the LCRA or to register for fishing, go to www.lcraonline.org

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mark
      Catching a lot of them in 34 feet
    • tca12
      Back on the Horseshoe chain I put in another 7 hours seeing zero pike yesterday.  I must be using the wrong decoys since I can draw in sunfish, crappies, bass, and catfish all day.  Finally caught a pike on a tip-up outside the house so at least I didn't get skunked again.  Looks like that will do it for spearing season unless I can figure out a North Dakota lake to try...
    • Reid Saarela
      Quick report from last weekend: Fished a couple midlake reefs in big bay and the walleye seemed to be non existent aside from a few dinks, although, the action was pretty decent. Jumbo perch, tullibee, and a few crappie kept me busy. From hearing other people’s late season reports along with my experience last weekend it seems like a lot of the walleye have moved to different types of structure, perhaps shallower?? I’m not sure, but had very few marks that appeared to be walleye.  
    • IceHawk
      Agree Pike they new there Stuff bought a few guns there and great prices!
    • IceHawk
      Anyone one of you guys ever use Dave Smith decoys?  They sure look realistic but wow come with a price. I like the avian X and I have a couple custom painted from a artist friend that look real good also.  Yes I  realize  a lot of people  don't use decoys. And I realize there is a time and situation for that  But I'm kind of a decoy junky lol! i rarely find my self going with out any. 
    • mrpike1973
      I agree Ice Hawk. I liked Sportsmans seemed to have more people that actually fished and knew what they were talking about for help.
    • IceHawk
      Great vid on my bucket list also. I always loved seeing those peacock fisherman throwing  those woodchoppers. Seems like a very aggressive fish I need to target someday 
    • IceHawk
      Bring a scoop of each and try a variety the fish will tell you what they are preferring. 
    • IceHawk
      Boy your lucky sure miss the one in St Cloud  they always seem to carry a great selection for everything. We are kind of limited with only Mills and Scheels . Dicks just doesn't have it for me. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I did not have as much of a problem with them eating my crawlers on my lindy rigs last summer either! Maybe they are finally getting thinned out by the fish and other predators! Cliff
  • Share & Have Fun