• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Black betty free fall

opsirc

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Yes I have one and really like it. They do have two models the ghost and the black one. The black one has  better components and spool than the ghost but both work the same. Your budget will tell you which ones for you. I own the black one .  I find myself pulling the line out the old school way  when in deeper water but that's just a habit of mine from using schooley reels in the old days. They really shine in shallow water. The key is setting the drop so the line doesn't drop to fast or hit bottom or you will have a mess.  I will comment on the drag system top notch landed quite a few big bass and eyes fishing pannies. The drag handled those loads with ease,  and was real smooth. Plan on adding another next yr. 

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I have the new trigger ones but also have a 6061 older version, My report was with the trigger ones the new version to free spool. 

Edited by IceHawk

I have both the Ghost and Freefall models... my experience is that the Freefall seems to be much smoother on the drop and that the trigger mechanism seems to be more responsive on the Freefall as well.  I have a neighbor that also picked up a Ghost model this year and he isn't as impressed with his Ghost as he had hoped to be either.  If you can afford it, I'd say go with the Freefall and you won't be disappointed.  The big C store has the Freefall on the shelf in Rogers for about 20% off.