Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Pat McGraw

Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.

OhioVike

Is Pelican Lake close enough to Vermilion?  Prolly the best panfish around the area.  

• Like 1

monstermoose78

There tons of little fish lakes around that area. Just a quick search and you can find them.

Pelican is a drive.

• Like 1

delcecchi
On 1/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, monstermoose78 said:

There tons of little fish lakes around that area. Just a quick search and you can find them.

Pelican is a drive.

Maybe 25 miles from cook so maybe 40 from tower.   

IceHawk

Have to agree Pelican would be my choice for panfish, top notch pannie lake with some quality in it. 

• Like 1

monstermoose78

There are so many little untapped panfish lakes up there. I know pelican has some big fish but it gets much more pressure than the little lakes. It worth the time to use the dnr lake finder to see if lakes have gills and crappies in them. I spent 5 years in that area and caught plenty of big crappies and trophy sized gills. I never once went to pelican lake or elephant. I never was skunked when ice fishing for panfish up there. 

• Like 2

side_laker

Anyone have any fishing reports from pelican 

Pat McGraw

Thanks everyone.

Wanderer

Seems like it could be good for gills.  No crappies in it though.  Interesting comments about the depth being greatest by shore.  It’s fun reading up on some new lakes.

Borch

Had a fun trip on Elephant.   Not much pressure when we fished it.  Nice crappies.

Pat McGraw

Thanks all. FYI I'm located on Frazer Bay on Vermilion. Give a shout out if/when you may be on the water up there. I may give the Pike River Flowage a try tomorrow or Saturday. I'll provide a report if I go. Thanks again.

Capt. Quicksteel

If you want to get in there by snow mobile or walking over, Wolf Lake is worth a try.

Pat McGraw

Thank you.

yomammy

BASS LAKE is on the east- n/e side of Vermilion and is a short ride through the woods by snowmobile.  Went there last year and caught nothing but dinky perch ( fished the mid-south shore... deeper area).  It was a fun trip and a beautiful little lake.....  DNR info :  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=69044600

JFitz

Took a trip into Wolf this weekend and didn't mark a fish. Had holes between 5' and 15'. Not the results we were hoping for!

Cliff Wagenbach

JFitz,

Did you fish the deepest water that you could find in Wolf?

That is probably where the pan fish are at.

Cliff

JFitz

We checked a half dozen areas and only found one with +8' of water. The DNR survey says max depth is 10' so we were pretty excited to find 15'!

• Haha 1

Pat McGraw

JFitz,

Did you have a group ski in Friday and out Sunday across Frazer bay? I saw a group do so and wondered if they may be heading that way.

JFitz

Hi Pat - we actually snowmobiled in from Wolf Bay. We did a lap around the lake and saw some old snowmobile tracks but not much more activity than that. Very remote and beautiful on Wolf!

OhioVike

I comments I have heard about Wolf have been similar to JFitz's report.  It is a fairly easy trek and a fun excursion but you are likely not to be wowed by the catch.  

fish_time

Any reports from pelican? Does anyone plow a road on the lake?

side_laker

I was just up there last weekend. Fished 12-32 feet only got bass. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• JFitz
      By JFitz
      Hey all,
      The Lindner’s recently put up an episode of Al and Billy Rosner fishing Vermilion last October:

I thought it was a good episode and it was really cool seeing such great anglers taking on Vermilion. I know it’s a bit early to be thinking about open water but this show got me to thinking. Has anyone here on the forum successfully targeted shallow, weed-oriented walleyes?? The video proves it can be done, but it’s just not a pattern you hear much about.
      Thanks!
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone ice fishing the pike river flowage this year? Main lake or narrows upstream of Hwys 1 or 77? I may go this weekend. Thx
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Has anyone targeted whitefish on Vermilion, specifically Frazer Bay? Any tips?
    • UncleKes
      By UncleKes
      I used to fish a small lake just north of Malmo on Milla Lacs at a town called Glen.  The Lake was called Clear Lake.  I have not fished it in quite some time and wondered if anyone has any information on it.  (Ice conditions, whats biting, etc.)
      I moved to St. Cloud a few years ago but thought it might be nice to ice fish the lake this winter.  I used to catch some nice stringers of perch, crappies, and sunfish.  
      Can anyone tell me if they are still selling bait at the Gas Station/RestaurantStore at Malmo?
      Any info would be appreciated.
      Uncle Kes
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got on a small lake in the Bemidji area to chase after some BIG panfish. Snowstorm came through and made them finicky but managed to pull couple topside for a pic. 5mm Tungsten jig tipped with a Trigger X mustache worm did the trick! Probably my favorite fish to catch in the winter!

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got on a small lake in the Bemidji area to chase after some BIG panfish. Snowstorm came through and made them finicky but managed to pull couple topside for a pic. 5mm Tungsten jig tipped with a Trigger X mustache worm did the trick! Probably my favorite fish to catch in the winter

• Rick
      By Rick
      Minnesota Ice Fishing Reports by Area - Share you ice fishing stories here...Click it to set the hook!!!
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Went and checked the first ice lakes and found .5 inches to almost 2 inches. If you go out please bring a buddy and dry clothes.
    • Barrington
      By Barrington
      NOW BOOKING FOR THE 2018 ICE FISHING SEASON!!
      LIMITED SPOTS ARE AVAILABLE..

Barrington Lake camp will now be offering remote ice fishing for the very first time thanks to its unique train access. You can also come by ski-doo from the town of Savant Lake. Its a 30-45min ride.
      Ice fishing with us at Barrington r Camp will be one of the coolest fishing trips you ever experience! Pristine snow covered lakes in the rugged Canadian Shield. Remoteness! Where the fish are plentiful and tasty!
      During our ice fishing season, we use the main lodge for accommodations. The air tight wood stoves in every room keep you  toasty warm and the propane lights make it cozy and rustic.
      This is remote ice fishing at its best. At camp you will have a heated room, Wi-Fi, full kitchen with propane fridge and stove, a newly built heated outhouse, and electricity on demand to charge batteries and extra lights. A flat screen TV for hockey games is also available.
      We access numerous lakes by snowmobile, ATV and even snowshoes. We travel with portable ice huts to keep us mobile and on top of fish.  Water will be available through the lake but there will be no running water for showers.
      The fishing has been outstanding all summer long so why not extend it year round. Main species in the lake are walleye, northern, white fish, and some perch. There has been numerous 26"-30" walleye's caught on a weekly basis through out the summer. This camp and lake have been private up until this past summer. 90% of groups who came for the first time this year have already booked for next year. References are available.
      Limited spots available for ice-fishing. Only 2 rooms available in the winter months. You will have 1000's of acres of water at to your self.

******4 Man Sunday to Monday Special $600/Person******
      Included in the package..
      -Accommodations
      -Train tickets
      -Ice auger
      -Ice Shelter
      -Quad or Ski doo for traveling the late
      All you need is your equipment & Food. Our ice fishing packages are very flexible and can be customized to suit your requests. Come try one of our Northwestern Ontario winter getaways, ice fishing remote waters!
      The train departs either Armstrong Ontario north of Thunder Bay, or Sioux Look out Ontario 2 days a week. Its a 1.5 hour ride direct to camp from either direction. Dates can be re-arranged to suit your needs.
      Call or e-mail for more information.
      Tonnes of new reviews & references available from this year.
      Check out our website at
      www.barringtonlakecamp.com
      or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Barringtonlake/
      Jonathan & Lyndsey
      807-584-2202
      807-407-4202                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      807-407-3997
      You wont be disappointed!! No one has been yet!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Cliff Wagenbach
      There were a lot of cabbage beds on the North side of Pine Is. and on the far East end of Big Bay. Gone now! Cliff
    • Rick
      I never guarantee safety. Others in similar position are out on Shields. I would assume German is the same. I would do it just not telling you to do it.
    • Jplante
      I have a skid house on Mille Lacs, the yellow perch has is no joke, camera all day long perfect sized perch for them to eat. The walleye numbers are strong, regardless what dnr says. The tough bite this year does kind of stink, but it's good for the lake. Every fish you catch is nice and healthy, and as previously stated usually big. We have been fortunate enough to get a couple slot fish (unicorns) out this year
    • FishinCT
      Just out of curiosity where were the cabbage beds on the east end? Rustys have been infested ever since we started fishing the east side 
    • Jplante
      shiners or suckers
    • MN BassFisher
      The Peacock Bass has been on my fishing bucket list since I first saw a picture of one when I was in elementary school. I don't think I'll make it to the Amazon anytime soon so when our Florida vacation was booked I made it a point to get to SE Florida and chase these beautiful specimens! For our adventure we went out near Miami, FL with local guide Captain Scott Rose. He shared a lot of information about this unique fishery and put us on both numbers and quality fish. Our Biggest 5 weighed in at 20.5lbs! This trip was something I won't soon forget.  
    • Flash
      Hey all, Heading to Mille Lacs tomorrow.  What has been the hot bait?  Shiners, fatheads??? Flash "Set the Hook"
    • Hoey
      There are notes in some of the other recent LOTW posts on Knights/Bridges reefs.  I have no personal recent experience to share at this time.
    • seifjr
      Our group is coming up March 10-13 this year instead of the typical mid-Feb trip.  We usually hit the reefs/islands in Feb with reasonable success, so I'm curious if that pattern is going at the moment.  Never fished LOW in mid-March, so we're not exactly sure how to approach things.  The current reports sound a bit slow at the moment, which probably isn't all that unusual for this time of year.  If anyone has any first hand knowledge of the reef/island bite, you can either response or PM me.  Thx.
    • kfk
      I like to fish a frozen shiner along with a live fathead on a single hook.  Even though the shiner is dead, I think the movement of the fathead creates the illusion that it's a live shiner.  It's worked for me many times anyway and it's usually better than either a frozen shiner or fathead by themselves.
  • Share & Have Fun