Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MidCoast

Hunting deer in areas with coyotes

MidCoast

I usually hunt down in SE, MN.  There aren't many coyotes down there if any at all.  This past season, I hunted in Northern, MN for deer.  There is a big population of coyotes in the area.  Would it be dangerous to drag deer during the evening with a good population of coyotes in the area?  Should one be cautious?

leech~~
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MidCoast said:

I usually hunt down in SE, MN.  There aren't many coyotes down there if any at all.  This past season, I hunted in Northern, MN for deer.  There is a big population of coyotes in the area.  Would it be dangerous to drag deer during the evening with a good population of coyotes in the area?  Should one be cautious?

Don't worry about the Yotes, they may hit your gut pile that night but they aren't going to run you down pulling your Deer.  I have done all most all my Deer hunting up in Northern MN with Yotes and Wolves around, and they never have bothered us pulling out our Deer.

I have also done a lot of Turkey hunting down in SE MN and there may be more Yotes down there then you think. ;)

Edited by leech~~

ANYFISH2

completely agree with Leech.  Mind no business to the coyotes with your deer in hand.

I sometimes will try and recover a deer in the dark instead of leaving overnight in areas thick with coyotes to avoid any damage to the deer.

leech~~
5 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

completely agree with Leech.  Mind no business to the coyotes with your deer in hand.

I sometimes will try and recover a deer in the dark instead of leaving overnight in areas thick with coyotes to avoid any damage to the deer.

Agreed, on getting your Deer out of the woods when hunting where there are Wolves and Yotes around if you can that day. We have come back to a pretty chewed up mess on one we didn't find until the next day. :(

MidCoast

Thanks for the replies.