• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going to be staying at the gunflint lodge for a week in February to do some snowmobiling and fishing. 

Looking for some fishing advice for gunflint lake;

Northern, is it worth fishing for them?

Can you spear on the lake?

Is it safe to assume lake trout is the main fish to target?

At that time of year does anyone have a suggested spot on the lake  or depth to find the trout?

suggested lures or colors that work best?

my wife says I should just call the lodge and talk to them, but I thought I'd toss it out here first.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only fished Gunflint for Lakers and Walleye.  Never much luck for each but hear guys do well which keeps me going back.

I would start with targeting lake trout in the 50-70 ft. range.  dead stick with a good sized frozen minnow has been my best  bet for lake trout.  sometimes a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow. If you are staying at the resort they will point you in a good direction.

Let us know how you did!

Jon

• Thumbs Up 1

Head down to the east end and fish the structure. With Lake Trout you only need to be close because they will come and chase. Lost a big one on Gunflint that had me shaking when it was all said and done. I believe it was a large yellow jigging rap.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

When in Rome, you fish Lake Trout.

You can start fishing anywhere from the landing and far to the East. A lake map for structure but those fish roam the open flats too.   I rarely fish any deeper then 70' and often go quite shallower especially if I'm on structure.  Pick a spot and drill it out covering different depths or just a fresh hole that might have a Laker below.    White Jigging Raps,  1/4 oz Go Devils or Swedish Pimples tipped with half a chub.  White tube jigs work well to at times.    Use a ciscoe on a tipup for your 2nd line.  I'll start out a few off the bottom and might end up  just below the ice depending on what happens, so you can get hit at any time your lure is in the water.   Most hits are a light bump but they can smash your lure when your not expecting it or when your play take away form lookers.  I'm trying to not hype this type of action up as many guys have quit their jobs and left their wives to fish Lake Trout under the ice.  I've been skunked and I've found the Holy Grail on my quest for Lake Trout.    There is a good chance our not going to hookup right away and start thinking you should go ride the snowmobile, but you never know..  Your doubting yourself and not thinking clear,  should I stay or should I go.   Then all a sudden WHAM! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not many pike in gunflint, but there are supposed to be some nice ones. Doesn’t sound like frozen ciscoes will be available this winter, so you might have to settle for smelt. I personally would just use live suckers and shiners. The restaurant at the gunflint lodge is fantastic!

Thanks for the advice guys. Now that New Years is over I can't wait to get up to the gunflint.

now the waiting game begins.