• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Power Augers

BrandoKing

What does everyone use for Augers? I'm looking to get a new one, probably propane. Can't decide which way to go. Jiffy or Eskimo? 

8" ion with reverse great auger I use to only use strike Masters but will never go back to gas again after using one of these. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the 8" K drill and a milwaukee fuel hammer drill this last wendsday. Had it out 3 times so far, I really like it, ice only 10 inches thick so not much of a test yet. Cant weigh much more than 10 pounds, cuts through ice like butter. I couldnt make up my mind between this or an Ion, have heard mostly good things about Ion. Already have an ancient Jiffy I bought used 15 years ago, still starts and runs, but getting pretty rough running and must weigh close to 50 pounds(only thing on it that aint metal is the gas line and starter rope). Decided to get something as different from it as possible which finally made up mind for k-drill. Going to be a few years before I can comment on its durability.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys. With the electrics, do the batteries lose power quickly when they get cold? Also, do the batteries burn out after so many charges?

Yes, the battery will lose some power when it gets colder. You can definitely tell the difference from drilling with a warm vs. a cold pack.

If you maintain your battery, and store it correctly,  it will last for many yrs. Kinda like your cordless drill or cell phone battery.

• Thanks 1

I have a Jiffy propane and really like it. It's nice not have to worry about gas and being able to screw on a cylinder. I can't say how long a full propane tank lasts. The Jiffy I have has a flexible propane hose and the tank clamps onto the handle. I like the new designs much better. I have had to replace the hose already because it got stiff and started leaking. It also leaks oil out of the oil dipstick. I just need to get an o ring for it but haven't gotten around to that yet. 

All that being said, my next auger will be an electric. I plan to get a hard sided house next year or the year after.  I like the idea of reverse and being able to grab it and start drilling and also no fumes. I have a buddy with a new Ion X and one that just bought a Strikemaster. I won't be buying one for a couple years so I plan to see which is better and go with that. I would also imagine that Jiffy is working on their own electric right now.  

If I wasn't planning on getting a permanent house I would keep my propane. 

• Thanks 1

Ion with reverse is really nice especially in the house. I have owned strike master augers which have great performance and overall very happy with, but I love my sons Ion!

On 12/25/2017 at 2:30 PM, BrandoKing said:

Thanks for the replies guys. With the electrics, do the batteries lose power quickly when they get cold? Also, do the batteries burn out after so many charges?

Lithium Ion batteries are the key to electronics success for ice fishing.  They will lose power quicker in the cold but if you warm them up you’ll recover most of the initial charge if not all of it.  Life expectancy is, well, LONG.  Charging cycles don’t hurt em like old batteries.

Thats why they’re so darn expensive.  

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looking at a kdrill for early and late ice.  Question is 6 or 8 inch.  I'm leaning 6 inch but have really liked my 8" holes over the years.  I mostly ice fish for panfish but always manage stick a few bigger fish too.

I was leaning on the 8" but glad I bought the six. More holes per battery, and less bulky, since I paired it with a drill. DSCN4015.thumb.JPG.b6480d744e435d2e48ed4a7467a3fe35.JPGYou can get a pretty big fish through the 6" hole too....but if you're worried you can easily drill two side by side. I fished with you Jeff the 4 1/2" Nils might be something to consider. Just kidding! "We Have More Fun" LOL!

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with Tom.  I’ve been pleased with my 6 inch Nils and really should start using it more than for BWCA fishing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That's what I was thinking.  Will hang onto my Nils for thicker ice conditions.  But past two winters we never got thick ice.

Nice eye Tom!

1 hour ago, Borch said:

That's what I was thinking.  Will hang onto my Nils for thicker ice conditions.  But past two winters we never got thick ice.

I'll never get rid of my Lazer Mag power head; after this week she'll be burning through ice. As long as it can get hauled out by my truck, ice is plenty thick. Will have to see what that K Drill auger does on it, if I want to lighten the load.....

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, BrandoKing said:

What does everyone use for Augers? I'm looking to get a new one, probably propane. Can't decide which way to go. Jiffy or Eskimo? 

It really depends on how you will be using it.  I just bought an eskimo propane auger.  It's not really good for my purpose of running and gunning across the lake on the snowmobile.  Last week I was up on red (-10 degrees) and it would not start a few times and was hard to start other times (15-20 pulls).  I had to put up the filp-up fish house to warm it up and the bottles.  Starts right up when 0 or above, but if you plan on using it outside for prolonged period of time in below 0 temps a propane auger is not the best for this kind of use.   I kinda wish I went with gas, but that's a whole new set of problems in the sub-zero temps.  I thought about electric but don't think the batteries will last all day drilling 50 60 holes if below zero.  So if your planning on drilling a few holes (10-40) a day in sub-zero temps electric might be the way to go or propane is good if used in a controlled environment.

The other thing about the electric is I'm guessing you will have to buy new batteries every 5 to ten years at $200 a pop, that can get expensive.  Just my opinion.   

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I will gladly pay 200 every 5 years just for the weight factor. My back likes the light electric. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, I was exhausted after a day of pulling and lugging the propane auger around all day!  Almost didn't go out the next day because of the work involved, then I got bored!

as long as you keep the propane bottles warm you should have no problems with a propane auger. I take my bottle off after every drill session and keep it warm. Auger always starts no matter what the temp is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have to agree w Tommy... kept my Strikemaster for when the ice gets too thick to effectively use my k-drill.  And the way the last 10days has been making ice, looks like the Solo might be fired up sooner than I would have liked

3 minutes ago, grundy said:

as long as you keep the propane bottles warm you should have no problems with a propane auger. I take my bottle off after every drill session and keep it warm. Auger always starts no matter what the temp is.

Hey John, hows it going? We should get out once the weather warms a bit?

• Thumbs Up 1

hes probably mowing a yard somewhere. ;)

14 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I will gladly pay 200 every 5 years just for the weight factor. My back likes the light electric. :D

H e l l for 250 you could have bought a 2703-22 Fuel Kit with 1 extra 5amp batt, during black Friday/Cyber Monday here in town... 

No brainer!!!:Yes:

I ended up going with an Eskimo Propane auger. It works great! Cuts holes quick and easy. Only things is that it is a little heavy when I was drilling a lot of holes. Not terrible though, good way to burn off a few of the bottle bass. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the more expensive electric ION. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Why buy a fuel when I already have ryobi stuff in the garage powered by the 3 batteries I have?  :pow:lol 

1 hour ago, BrandoKing said:

I ended up going with an Eskimo Propane auger. It works great! Cuts holes quick and easy. Only things is that it is a little heavy when I was drilling a lot of holes. Not terrible though, good way to burn off a few of the bottle bass. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the more expensive electric ION. 

Good choice. You will be happy for yrs to come..... not to mention not having gas to deal with anymore:cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, jb426 said:

The other thing about the electric is I'm guessing you will have to buy new batteries every 5 to ten years at $200 a pop, that can get expensive.  Just my opinion.   

Opps, wasn't tring to ruffle your feathers there eyeguy.....

Good deal still out there, if I needed to replace batteries. NO BRAINER!

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-m18-fuel-1-2-inch-drill-driver-kit-2703-22

no feathers ruffled,  did you not see the lol after the pow?   warm it up out there! slow the wind down!  that drill reconditioned is at 225 with all the stuff.  If I needed one I would go that way. the ryobi I got was 45 bucks. :):):) 

Tom, have you bought the 9ah batterys yet?  The deal is still out there 2 for $200... too good to pass up if you ask me

2 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

no feathers ruffled,  did you not see the lol after the pow?   warm it up out there! slow the wind down!  that drill reconditioned is at 225 with all the stuff.  If I needed one I would go that way. the ryobi I got was 45 bucks. :):):) 

He has les invested in his whole set up than the Milwaukee cost...   no brainer... almst wish I would have went that rout before milwaukee/ k drill 

23 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Tom, have you bought the 9ah batterys yet?  The deal is still out there 2 for $200... too good to pass up if you ask me

No I have not seen such deal; where's the link....

285 with the 2, 4 Ah batteries. All shipped right to my door. :) More cash left to buy euros!  lol  sold the old auger for 200 so didnt break the budget switching over.