Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

eyeguy 54

New Drill

eyeguy 54

Got a great deal on a ryobi brushless with 750 torque. Man the nills zips even faster now!  :) 

• Like 1

Jim Almquist

The difference of a brushless no matter who makes it makes a ton  of difference in the amount of power. My top end  Dewalt 18 volt hammer drill with a 20 volt battery vs a 20 volt brushless  Dewalt drill is like night and day when connected to a Nils. My brother bought a K-Drill and did not  like the amount of torque when drilling a hole. I have not tried one so I can't really say which is easier but I was using my 6" Nils  and was able to drill holes one handed.

eyeguy 54

I used an 8 inch kdrill last winter up north and didnt care much for it.  Used Ricks 6 inch kdrill and its a dandy. If I put his Milwaukee on my nills it would probably go to china!  LOL  

• Like 3

CJH
On 12/22/2017 at 4:55 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

Got a great deal on a ryobi brushless with 750 torque. Man the nills zips even faster now!  :) 

That's my new setup too.  Going to try it out for the first time next week.  Can't wait!!

• Like 1

Rick G
On 12/22/2017 at 8:25 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

I used an 8 inch kdrill last winter up north and didnt care much for it.  Used Ricks 6 inch kdrill and its a dandy. If I put his Milwaukee on my nills it would probably go to china!  LOL  

That Nils bit with Milwaukee Fuel would be crazy fast

• Like 1

Juan Grande

My wife got me a Milwaukee 18V for Xmas to pair with my 6" Nils.  Do you think I should return it and get a brushless?

• Like 1

eyeguy 54
1 hour ago, Juan Grande said:

My wife got me a Milwaukee 18V for Xmas to pair with my 6" Nils.  Do you think I should return it and get a brushless?

what is the torque pounds on the drill?  600 works fine with the 6 inch nills but nothing wrong with more. less than 600 I would trade. 

Tom Sawyer
3 hours ago, Juan Grande said:

Do you think I should return it and get a brushless?

If it's not brushless, return it! You'll end up burning it up in no time. Continued torque on the motor overheats the coils and the drill will not run until it cools down. No drill was designed to cut ice holes, including brushless, they just won't overheat, and keep you drilling, instead of waiting until the drill cools. Stick with something with a good warranty, you'll probably need it, depending on how hard you use the tool.

"You get what you pay for" when it comes to tools. HUGE difference between consumer brands and industrial; along with using a brushless tool vs one with brushes....

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

You wont burn it up with a nills. You will with a kdrill. 

Tom Sawyer
9 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

You wont burn it up with a nills.

This post is your upgrade to brushless, because of these exact issues, is it not? Lmao! 

eyeguy 54

my ryobi 620 pound worked dandy. I upgraded cuz I wanted it to be even faster. didnt need to but sometime I do things that I want to do. LOL. If the Milwaukee 18 volt he is talking about has 600 or more torque it will work fine with the 6 inch nills. Ask Frank. :) We all cant afford Milwaukee fuels.  Got my Ryobi for 45 bucks. :)

• Thanks 1

Tom Sawyer
18 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

my ryobi 620 pound worked dandy. 

I guess Chris and I need to have our hearing checked :crazy:.....

"overheated after 20 holes, worked fine after it cooled down"

eyeguy 54

must have not heard me right. but it doesnt matter really. I drilled all last winter with the 620 pound ryobi. slush was more of a factor than drilling the hole. I would not put a 620 ryobi on your kdrill, that would fry it. the nills is totally different cutting as you know. 

Rick G

You don't need the brushless for the Nils.  @Surface Tension can explain why.

• Like 1

Hawg

My advise would be brushless fuel, but brushless any brand is a step up. 

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

curious to know if the fuel would be too much for the 6 inch k drill. probably not but interested in knowing. @Surface Tension  what you think?  Is it 1200 pounds?? 

Surface Tension

A drill with 600 in lbs of torque on a 6" Nils should be no problem.   Battery size or Ah matters for number of holes per battery but they also open up the bottle neck for output to the drill.  For instance,  you'll notice and improvement going from 1.5 Ah battery to say a 5Ah battery.  The smaller battery might even cut out to protect the battery and drill.    That same drill with 600 in lbs of toque would struggle with most other 6" blades.  Said it many times before, the Nils requires less torque to do the same job as any other blade.   That less torque means more holes per battery then any other blade.   Could you overheat your drill, yes you can if your pushing it to its limits. Seen that happen with one hole but the blade wasn't a Nils.  I've personally used 450 in lb drill with a 2Ah on a 6" Nils just for the nuts of it and it drilled great.

The Milwaukee 2704 and 2703 run 1200 in lbs of torque is are good but you also get the Milwaukee Red Lithium  batteries.    We've all heard how you need to keep your batteries warm to keep the voltage from dropping.  Not so with the Red lithium and the reason I went with the 2704.   I use that on my 8" Nils and its smooth as silk.   I also know a few guys using the same drill with 10" Nils.  Again the Nils requires less torque then any other blade.

• Like 3

leech~~
23 minutes ago, Surface Tension said:

Again the Nils requires less torque then any other blade.

So, we keep hearing this.

May be you can share why this would be true?  Either the blades don't bite as deep as they turn or the flutes clear the hole better of chips causing less resistance are the only two things I can think of?  

Tom Sawyer

"Lazer" type blade design vs. "Chipper" design. Chippers are super aggressive, open froze over holes with ease. Nils leave more slush.

eyeguy 54

Thx for the info @Surface Tension :) 

monstermoose78

My brushed dewalt does just fine. These people who think you need a brushless drill are wrong. If you want a drill with high torque. Brushless are more efficient on batteries they say. I got 30-40 holes with my 3 amp batteries in 10-12 inches of ice. I have the 9 amp batteries on the way. I use the clam plate set up with a 6 inch and I have cut close to 5000 holes with so far. I have not changed my blades either.

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

I have the 4 amps for my ryobi. Ice was about 10 to 11 inches today. only drilled 6 holes to find the action. 

Hawg

Ions don’t have chipper blades and reopen holes as good as any auger I’ve ever owned. 

ZachD
3 hours ago, Hawg said:

Ions don’t have chipper blades and reopen holes as good as any auger I’ve ever owned. 

That's because of the metal ring they put on the end my eskimo was the same way and blasted through old holes 

Surface Tension

Leech, its because of the design.  Did I mention its fast too. :)