Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Horseshoe_Don

Catting the chain

eyeguy 54

pretty cool!

MN BassFisher

I have had the Chain on my list of places for hit in the winter for countless years, finally planning on making it happen Saturday with a buddy. I read through this thread and must say thanks for the all the pointers and tips as I hope it helps trim away at the learning curve.

• Like 3

Crappie_day

Out there this past Saturday. Caught about 10 cats in our group. First time there and it was fun. Can’t wait til the next time we come back. Thanks for the intel on this forum, it was big help. It was fun figuring out the pattern of how to fish catfish. 

E93BDC17-6F93-4C6E-9938-48CC9DA9CBAB.jpeg

• Like 2

Borch

Nice cats Crappie_day!

IceHawk

Welcome Crappie day Nice Cats! enjoy there are a pile of them out there!

smurfy
20 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Welcome Crappie day Nice Cats! enjoy there are a pile of them out there!

yea right!!!!!!!:cry: i musta been in such a secret spot.................not even the fish new where it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:grin:

IceHawk
40 minutes ago, smurfy said:

yea right!!!!!!!:cry: i musta been in such a secret spot.................not even the fish new where it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:grin:

LOL!! Are you kidding me you tried that area and never got any?  Man they were putting  the hurt to them for couple weeks there.

smurfy

i wasnt at the methhole. went out to cedar island!!!!!! and judging by the way they where leaving noone else did much either. i parked on the west side of the island. used to be da honey hole for crappies back in  the olden days!!!!!:cry: 

IceHawk

That was the area they were getting them smurf all the way from the old crappie hole back towards gillies old place. They had them stacked like wood a few times I drove by eye fishing. Must of not been your day lol That old crappie hole hasn't  been the same since the old days. Man I have some good memories of catching craps in that area even all night.  Those were in the days when you could hear the sticks hitting the floors the tell tail sign of a good bite because no one had reels on there rods hand over hand ah the memories :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

smurfy

yep.......there were some houses further to the west, that musta been the spot. looked like they were in the middle of nowhere, there were some houses where i was at but no one around. kinda why i went there. least the fish didn't bother me!!!!!!!!!:grin: i aint going there again.

LadyFish09

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Been about 3 years since I've been out there catching cats. Going tomorrow night and bringing my teenage kids. Going to try to get them on some cats. Husband is up north on his guys fishing weekend so I'm hoping I can show the kids some really fun fishing and outfish the husband;)

The Chemist

Are the conditions up there the same, ie patchy spots of snow on the lakes? Heading up around noon so that we are set for the evening bite tonight and then go tomorrow also.

Horseshoe_Don

Nothing has changed with the ice

The Chemist

Saw a ton of fish on the vex but no cats would bite. Was able to get 1 crappie that was 13", but by that time it was too late to change to smaller bait. 

Had a struggle getting set up as it was the 1st time for the "new" house.

Kelly Oman

Anyone been out for cats lately? I'm hoping to get out later this week.

Naturboy

I was out last Friday and did ok. I will be rigging one rod with a bobber because of the lite bites.  I’ve felt minnows pull more than what they’re doing. I set up the house just to get out of a breeze so I could feel and see the bites. 

B6A8E16D-A1F6-483C-BED3-9A14E3112624.jpeg

jigginjim

Nice kitty. I was thinking of going spunk lakes as my wives nephew is going to St. Johns. Thinking of bringing the wheelhouse but this could be more fun. I have not fished the chain in years.

jigginjim

Which I was just thinking is there any type of a night bite?

Borch

Yes.  If you're targeting night time set up in or on edges of holes.  A lot like crappie fishing.  Daytime it's  usually hole edges and shallower flats.

IceHawk

Yes there is definitely a decent night bite out there, but fair warning Ice Team University is going on the next two days on the chain. It might get a little busy as I assume a lot of the catfish spots will be seeing some pressure. 

smurfy
34 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Yes there is definitely a decent night bite out there, but fair warning Ice Team University is going on the next two days on the chain. It might get a little busy as I assume a lot of the catfish spots will be seeing some pressure. 

Dang, I'm headed north spear chucking or I'd go spy to find the hotspots!;) 

The Chemist
On 2/15/2018 at 5:21 PM, IceHawk said:

So that explains the traffic and also the one where they were shooting video of what appeared to be about a drill type auger. Did drive by an ice team truck on the way out also.

IceHawk

Had a chance to rub shoulders and fish with some of the ice team guys today. Great bunch of guys we had some good laughs and of course discussed plenty about fishing. Even shared a few hotspots.;) The hands on they give the people that sign up for this event is absolutely amazeing! From hands on to tips on everything to do to make your day on the ice way more productive. From what I witnessed it would be well worth the investment to sign up for one of there events , if you are new to fishing or heck even a seasoned angler.  Fished with one guy from Nebraska said he has done 5 of these events and has enjoyed everyone of them.  Fun day for sure :grin:

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/25/17, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  As of today the ice conditions appear to be adequate.   The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      We will need to monitor ice conditions as it's been a weird winter so far.  Given the current ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
      I look forwards to seeing you all there!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/24/18, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  As of today the ice conditions appear to be good with plenty of time to make more.   The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots.  
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).

• esoxrocks01
      By esoxrocks01
      I'll be fishing the red river this weekend from Saturday until Sunday for giant channel kitties.  On the Minnesota side, where is the best public place to shorefish for one of these trophies?  Also, what bait tends to work the best if you're not using cut bait?  I'm looking for alternatives.  Thank you guys!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where checked again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing could be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where check again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie, (rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing would be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  The is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      Hi all went to the chain last night. I can't believe it only one catfish. been up 3 times this year can't buy one. Any one have any tips. tried shallow and deep by bridges etc. is it because the waters high?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• osok
      Been a brutal hard water season for me as well, figured it was a continuation of my fall fishing luck. 
    • Wanderer
      Thanks guys.  I checked out Modis for ice coverage and Navionics to help understand how things are laid out.  Knowing what areas certain fish prefer and those typical depths is a big plus.
    • urbaniceteam
      My wife and I are hoping to get up to Mille Lacs this Saturday and spend the night on the ice.  Does anyone have any last minute availability?  All the resorts I've contacted are booked. Thanks!
    • Borch
      Lots of nice fish!  Central Mn is cranking out some nice panfish.
    • eyeguy 54
      I did till about 2 then just had to go for a bit. LOL 
    • IceHawk
      Nice fish guys. Royce doesn't look like you took the day off 
    • IceHawk
      Great Idea Rick 
    • Borch
      A plus is that the forecast is for a much nicer day Saturday.
    • Tom Sawyer
      Thanks for your work guys! You were showin' some serious team spirit being out there today. I would have helped but I had a few appointments today I couldn't reschedule. I know I'm available Friday to do any last day scouting/fine tuning....
    • IceHawk
      Definitely a grind out prefishing cats today for the gathering.  Weather made it to tough but I Jeff  and his brother pushed through the elements to try and find a few active schools .   Locating the schools were tough took a pile of holes and the augers got a workout for sure,  but fortunately  we did find a couple active schools. Jeff and his brother found a few on one lake and I found a decent school on another lake. The good news was that both schools were cruising shallow flats in both locations and about the same depths. Great news as this is a good indication they are feeding on these flats.   Amazeingly both schools were found on a inside corner. Bingo looks like we have a pattern formed. We iced and marked  a fair number of cats in both locations so things are looking good for Saturday. Plus is we added a few for the fish fry already  Jeff I'll keep plugging away out there hopefully I can dial them in even more I have a hunch there are a few more close by where we ended. 
  • Share & Have Fun