Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MrSchrute

Mayhew Lake

MrSchrute

Any info on Mayhew Lake just NE of St. Cloud?

Just moved to the area and was looking to get out a small lake.

Naturboy

I checked ice earlier and there was 2 different ice sheets one was 4” ant that time and the other was 1 1/2”. The 1 1/2” ice was most of the lake. Be very careful on there. 

MrSchrute

Have you fished out there before? Is it worth putting some time in on the ice?

Thanks-

MinnowBuckets

I haven't ice fished this lake in about 4 years. It had a pretty large scale winter kill a few years back. I am sure it has since rebounded. Lakes like this typically come back pretty quickly following winter kill, especially with the mild winters we have had as of late. Mayhew used to be loaded with smaller perch, and had decent crappie action at times. I too would be curious to know how Mayhew is doing. Wish I could be more help to you.

lostatice

I fished out there early summer before the water turned nasty with the algae boom. Caught small northerns, small perch, and small sunfish.  

MrSchrute

Thanks for the info guys.

Bass Thumb
On 12/15/2017 at 1:43 PM, MrSchrute said:

Have you fished out there before? Is it worth putting some time in on the ice?

Thanks-

I hit it up last year a few times and drilled at least 150-200 holes. I only caught small perch, crappie, and bluegill. There were a lot of annoying candy-bar-sized perch.

I wish it were better, because it's a close drive and has some interesting structure and spots that look like they should be quite good.

Edited by Bass Thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Needle valve is sticking open or bad diaphragm.
    • sparetime
      Seems to be flooding out.  I have pulled the plug after trying to restart and its wet, so yes flooding out. 
    • Surface Tension
      After it dies pull the spark plug. Is it wet or is it dry. 
    • leech~~
      oilandwater Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for the report. Any Loopers in the mix with the Coho's? 
    • nytelyter
      i want to attend this year and will put it on the calendar been a couple of years since i have been up there .
    • Bluegill Dan
      Anyone fishing this lake? How is the ice and bite?
    • freeman82
      has anyone been out to swan lake thinking of going this weekend. never been to this lake but have heard good things. 
    • oilandwater
      Only ice is in McQuade harbor and Knife River, and not much at that.  Cohos are biting really well on some days for guys fishing off the Two Harbors break wall. Pretty miserable conditions in which to fish, though....    South shore has good ice around Washburn, and a few cohos mixed in with good catches of Browns, spoke, and whitefish. Cohos on MN side have averaged 13-14" this winter.
    • Bass Thumb
      I have been using a Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 50v electric auger the last couple years. Very happy with it, but I'm limited to about 70-100 feet of ice drilled per charge, depending on temp/hardness of ice. That's more than enough for most bluegill trips, but it's lacking when the ice gets thick and I'm trying to find walleyes on big water during full-day trips. I find myself not drilling as many holes as I would like in an attempt to ration the charge. I just picked up an Eskimo P1 Rocket 8" propane auger. My buddy has the 10" and it's the best auger I've ever used. If anyone wants to really aerate a lake, the Rocket fits the bill. I'll use this along with the Strikemaster electric to meet all of my drilling needs. I haven't used the Rocket yet. It's in the mail. I'm excited at it's light weight in particular. 26 pounds. 
    • leech~~
      Next time you give it a try. Take a flash light and look up to make sure the throttle flapper is returning to the closed position when you let off the gas and it dies. I have had them stick open or half open then your more or less trying to restart it at half or full throttle which may just be flooding it out. It's either starving for gas or flooding.  Let us know if you solve it.  Good Luck.
  • Share & Have Fun