• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017-2018 Vermilion Ice Conditions and Fishing Reports

Tuesday ,the day after the hard rain, hole sthat had been punched last weekend were large in some areas of McKinley where I was. Some 3-4 feet in diameter. Very very sketches now. There is probably only 2 in of ice on those spots now and you won't have any cule where they are. I figured I would mark the spots I remember passing but that will only be a few. Middle of the bay...random spots where folks had portables. Doesn't surprise me someone went through. It seems like good ice...it is not!!! 

Unfortunately  there' is no cure for stupidity! Checked local lake near home and still has big open water out in the middle lots of springs in this lake .going out to try my luck in front of cabin on whiteface in morning  6to8 inches there last time checked  haven't seen any one onsleds or wheelers yet. Use common sense everyone and please be careful 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

Had great fishing out from McKinley in 28 FOW on Friday-Saturday.  Caught a great mix of dinks, eaters, and slot fish.  I ended up catching five 22-25" walleyes, but my guest on Saturday (Chris Larson) caught the largest at 25½".  Best action was using a chub on a plain hook, but small jigs and rattlers also had action.  Walleyes still didn't like the sucker minnows.

I had 8½" of ice where I was (was 6½" the previous week).  But be very careful out there because there are bad spots as people have mentioned.

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

SYAT2598.JPG

Had great fishing out from McKinley in 28 FOW on Friday-Saturday.  Caught a great mix of dinks, eaters, and slot fish.  I ended up catching five 22-25" walleyes, but my guest on Saturday (Chris Larson) caught the largest at 25½".  Best action was using a chub on a plain hook, but small jigs and rattlers also had action.  Walleyes still didn't like the sucker minnows.

I had 8½" of ice where I was (was 6½" the previous week).  But be very careful out there because there are bad spots as people have mentioned.

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

SYAT2598.JPG

Nice fish , great pics ,, what times of the day were best for you ?

• Thanks 1

Just pulled two out of st Mary's in eveleth. It was close. Please make good choices out there.

That said, I'm off to find a cup of hot chocolate and a long finlander hot shower....

Edited by redneckdan
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

Great report, JL! I guess I should've hit the ice here instead of road tripping else where! 

• Thumbs Up 1

BD,

Yes, generally most areas are now safe for ATV and snowmobile travel.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

As Cliff said, there were a lot of ATVs running around out from McKinley Park last weekend.  I heard that a lot of permanents were going up last Sunday.  I am going up tomorrow again and will report more on Sunday.  I may travel across Big Bay with my snowmobile if fishing is slow close, and the ice appears safe.

• Thanks 1

Fished from 0815-1230 today out from McKinley out to 26 FOW. Found about 10.75 inches good ice with snow cover varying from 2 inches up to close to a foot in the soft drifts but still not too bad for hiking while dragging the flip over. Had decent action from 0830-0930 bringing up 8 walleyes less than 12 inches long, a 12 inch perch and 2 tullibees all released. About 50-50 on set line vs glow jigging spoon both with chubs. Not sure why I couldn't connect on better quality fish. Still a nice morning with the snow lightly falling and peaks of sun.

Good running into you, Cliff! Hopefully we'll cross paths again this winter.

• Thumbs Up 1

SM,

Nice meeting you today!

I am sure we will see each other again!

We ended up catching 6 walleyes and 6 tulibees. Kept 3 walleyes from 14" to 19-3/4". We quit at 1:00pm also.

Even when the lake trail is marked the oak narrows are sketchey and I avoid it when I can. There can be 24" here and 1/4" there. That being said... There is ice but that's the worst spot on the lake 

Just made my maiden voyage across the bay to the VC, fun to be back on the sleds. Drilled a few holes in Daisy Bay today, 11” of ice.

Had another good weekend of fishing.  Fished Thursday evening to Saturday afternoon and found consistent action all hours of the day.  Caught 5 slotters 22-25", and was able to be picky on eaters, only keeping 15-17" walleyes.  Plenty of small eyes also, plus I caught 4 eelpout.

I did learn a lesson on how to take eelpout off of the hook.  I tried to lift a 20" pout out of the hole by line and the hook pulled out and embedded the bobber in my styrofoam ceiling.  The next time I used the fish pliers to lift the slimy fish out.

Had 10" of ice where I was, and a lot of large wheelhouses were being pulled out there.  Yesterday someone drove a Jeep out to a wheelhouse close by.  I think we will see a lot more vehicles driving out in the next week.  Fortunately the added weight hasn't pushed much water on top of the ice.

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

Nice fish again! You must have been in that bunch North and East of the landing.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I did learn a lesson on how to take eelpout off of the hook.  I tried to lift a 20" pout out of the hole by line and the hook pulled out and embedded the bobber in my styrofoam ceiling.  The next time I used the fish pliers to lift the slimy fish out.

IMG_5069.JPG

Well you must be called JerkinLips for a reason! :eek:  May be you should switch to the foam bobbers so you don't put an eye out!! :lol:

Nice fish. :)

• Yayyyy 2

22 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Just lip grip the pout like a bass and they can't wrap around your arm!

I'll have to try that next time.  I assume they don't have dangerous teeth?

22 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Just lip grip the pout like a bass and they can't wrap around your arm!

I'll have to try that next time.  I assume they don't have dangerous teeth?