Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Horseshoe_Don

Horse shoe is frozen over

Horseshoe_Don

Horseshoe is frozen over but is only 1" thick.   I did see a gut up near Brainerd walking out on a small lake to fish.   Hopefully is will cool down to get out there.   Long range forcast does not look good.

Don

• Like 1

Horseshoe_Don

was frozen.   its open again

Horseshoe_Don

Based on the forecast, Horseshoe should be fishable in certain areas by the weekend, next week for sure.

Don

• Like 2

Rick G

Thanks for the update, Don:)

Horseshoe_Don

Ice is not as good as i expected this morning.   Went out 30 feet and only found 1 inch.   Was 1 inch a week ago in the same spot.   The wind is also keeping open areas that are main transportation areas.    

Shoe is looking like it is setting up to be very dangerous ice if you do not know the lake or you are not familiar with how the ice is forming now.    I am warning everyone now you are going to have areas where you have 6 inches then a foot away it may only have 1 or 2.   The 3 pictures I have posted are:

one is open water by my shoreline which is always frozen. Next one is facing northwest looking to the meth hole which is open water.   And the last is to the south which is completely ice covered.

The ice access off 22 has open water.

Just wanted to warn everyone to keep them safe.

Don

20171206_080035.jpg

20171206_080040.jpg

20171206_080045.jpg

• Like 4

Rick G

Thank you, Don!  You saved me a trip out there tomorrow

Horseshoe_Don

ice update.    2" on areas that were frozen.    Less than 1:" on ice that has recently formed.   Entire lake covered.

Don

• Like 4

mrpike1973

Thank you!

Bass Thumb

Thanks for the update. I was out there yesterday and saw a lot of whitecaps. Quite a few other lakes in the area were no different.

woodrow03

Thank you for the updates. 

Horseshoe_Don

Went out this morning to check the ice on both sides of my peninsula.    Found ice anywhere from 1-4".   The area  found 1" i did not expect it.   There are also small ice heave air pockets with only 1 or 2" of ice on them and open water underneath.   Now with the fresh snow is is very hard to distinguish these little heaves or thin ice.   I am going to wait a few more days here yet and I know the ice here well.   I heard a report of a 4 wheeler on shoe, this is more than stupid.

No fish is worth your life.  Be safe

Don

• Like 3

Rick G

Thanks again, Don. Really do appreciate the updates!

• Like 1

Bass Thumb

Good share. I'm really itching to get out on some of those local lakes. I was thinking of trying today but I'm going to hold off now.

Tom Sawyer
43 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Went out this morning to check the ice on both sides of my peninsula.    Found ice anywhere from 1-4".   The area  found 1" i did not expect it.   There are also small ice heave air pockets with only 1 or 2" of ice on them and open water underneath.   Now with the fresh snow is is very hard to distinguish these little heaves or thin ice.   I am going to wait a few more days here yet and I know the ice here well.   I heard a report of a 4 wheeler on shoe, this is more than stupid.

No fish is worth your life.  Be safe

Don

With the snow that fell last night, that literally is glued to the ice from the warm temps and light rain; and now seeing more in the forecast, it's sure setting up to be a very dangerous early ice season out there. Even Mud didn't freeze well. Only about an 1.5" a hundred yds from the road on Saturday. YIKES!

woodrow03

Great current updates.  

Don-when the wife and I make a trip up for cats I'd be more than willing to drop off some bear sausage from Von Hanson's for your updates:grin:

• Like 2

Reel_Magic

I went out on Horseshoe on Sunday and where the ice remained from the first freeze it is a solid 6 in.  Where it recently froze over last week its was 3 inches at best.  Now that we have snow cover it will be hard to find that line.  I was out with the wheeler on sunday but stayed on the "old" ice that I knew was "safe".  I wouldn't use a wheeler from the access or go exploring quite yet. 

Plan on heading back out Thursday and will try and give an update

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

Bass Thumb
6 hours ago, Reel_Magic said:

I went out on Horseshoe on Sunday and where the ice remained from the first freeze it is a solid 6 in.  Where it recently froze over last week its was 3 inches at best.  Now that we have snow cover it will be hard to find that line.  I was out with the wheeler on sunday but stayed on the "old" ice that I knew was "safe".  I wouldn't use a wheeler from the access or go exploring quite yet. 

Plan on heading back out Thursday and will try and give an update

IMG_1312.jpg

I found exactly the same thing today. It was a steady 5" walking to the fishing spot. 3" of ice on the spot, if that. Cracks everywhere. Water pushing out of holes I had drilled. Not good.

Horseshoe_Don

Drove out the wheeler on the thickest ice.  Fishing for the first time. Had a solid 7" here.  But 50 yards away only 3".

Don

• Like 1