• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horse shoe is frozen over

Horseshoe_Don

22 minutes ago, Rick G said:

My take from last evening. Found mine shallow, 6-8ft and this goofy gill that thought it was a walleye...took the ripin rap

Nice fish Ricky! That must of been a h e l l of a long day out there...

I have seen full size trucks driving across cedar island and Horseshoe in the last 24 hours.   Both of these were in areas with less than 12" of ice.   10" actually.    You really can't fix stupid.

Don

ps no fish is worth your life

How much ice is our on the chain? I've been out of town for work but hopefully getting out this weekend. Thanks

I measured 15" last night so I would assume 15-20" everywhere away from current.

Don

• 2 months later...

Ice is looking good on the chain.    Small amounts of shush on the shorelines.   Center of lake has less than 3" of snow and many spots have bare ice.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Y2Kfishing said:

How’s the ice condition on Krons Bay? 

lets just say when i drove past there yesterday i didn't see a sole over that way, now i now that doesn't tell ya ice conditions but....looks also like someone unofficially marked the meth hole with tree branches.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went for a ride and checked the ice on Horseshoe.   I found 30 inches of solid ice.    It is pretty close to the same amount we had a month ago.   The accesses have refrozen on both sides of 22.   There is about 6" of snow on shoe.     I am going to call it right now.   Horseshoe will not be ice free on fishing opener.   Areas of current probably will be.

Maybe we can all go to iowa to fish?    LOL

Don

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Definitely some solid ice out there Don. Was up on osakis today and drove my full size  pickup out. 36-38 inches of solid ice yet there. I hope your wrong lol   and I'm  being optimistic and hope that it will be open but time will tell.  If she is open going to be a bumper boat ride with the amount of traffic it will see. Especially when a lot of Northern lakes will be a no go. Good thing is the current areas are open  once she starts flowing things will change fast. 

11 hours ago, jigginjim said:

Could you still drive a 1/2 ton over to Becker? Without swimming.. LOL

Nope... you are almost sure to put the truck in the river;)

any of you guys out fishing today????? or is it ice surfing???????:grin:

seen a couple out fishing yesterday afternoon on locke lake off 94 by hasty!!!!!!!  

plenty of ice and the winter access is in good shape to drive on.     Ice is in great shape on shoe in areas that are not in the current.

Don

went out and checked my spots today.   Ice is unchanged at 30".   The winter access is in good shape on both sides.   I plowed the shoe side.   I access will easily support a truck since it froze back up.

Don

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I fished a lake today that had cruddy ice last weekend.  Much to my disbelief it was in good shape.  Only water in the last 4-6" of a few holes.  Otherwise, it was good hard ice.   Fishing was decent as well.  ;)

Truck travel with ease where I was,  just South of town :grin:... Fish were definitely fired up!!!

Don I saw you in that bay today I honked when I drove by. There was a couple vehicles over on the cedar island side today. Ice is really firming back up  its been as good as January  on all the lakes i've fished last week or so. Starting to think your prediction of horseshoe being froze opener might become a reality. :eek:  

Jeff glad that area produced again . I'm sure glad the three of you had a great time. Nice to hear your Dad getting into them. Those are the kind of days that make memories.  Wish I could of got over there but it just wasn't in the cards today. Guarantee ill be there this week. ;) Looking forward to some of that red snapper :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just tried to plow my private road onto the lake and found a lot of water on the ice due to the 12" of snow on the ice.    Was only on the edge though.  Probably dry further in.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Was out yesterday and the snow pack was only 1-3",    Ice was in great shape.   Was very easy to get round.   

24 days to fishing opener.    More inches of ice than day left til opener.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you think there will be flooding at all I hope not for the sake of all. I may be optimistic but maybe Sunday if I can get on the river in Cold Spring with the boat looked like 20 feet of ice out from the access. Sure is a funny year. Thanks for the updated Don.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does not look like anything will flood at this point.   Not enough moisture out there, at least in the sauk watershed.

Don

went out tonight and found between 24 to 28 inches of ice away from the current areas.    The river is now poking into shoe about 100 yards.

Don

Don I'm surprised as how much the river sections are opening up. Checked from the 71 bridge towards Cold Spring and there's actually a bunch of open sections. Noticed the honey hole area, in the rivers mouth entering cedar island is really going quick also. Definitely looking better for a possible ice out on the lakes on the chain. Time will tell  

Went up this morning. Taking the boat out in the morning on the 22 access I wont get out to far but it can be great for cats where the ice is.  lots of dead matter etc. we will see.