Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Surface Tension

Long Lake in Twig froze over 11/6/17     Smaller area lakes should be icing over as well. 

Lets hope the snow stays away till we get some thickness.

• Like 1

climbmda

Looks like some single digit lows later this week.  Let's make some ice!

seymore

Anybody know if Rice, Fish, or Island have ice on them?

Surface Tension

Rice has ice but don't know who much.  Last I heard Fish lake had and 1.5" of ice from High Banks Resort to the Narrows.

Grand lake has froze over. 

seymore

Thanks for the update!

I also found out Rice on Saturday had about 4 inches on it. Still a little thin for me, but I'm thinking by this weekend I'll be out there with my 4-wheeler. A friend of mine bought a K-Drill, and I'm wanting to try it out for him since I am without an auger yet this year. :grin:

FowlSki

Most of the areas I checked on rice had 4 inches but I found a couple spots with around 2 inches of soft ice which was a little scary.   Fishing was slow with only a few fish marked on the graph.   You may want to hold off on the ATV until we get another good cold snap. 

Checked another local lake that is usually fishable early in the year that only had about 2 inches and the ice wasn't very solid. 

Northlander

with this weather the ice we were on will be toast. Stay off the ice.

• Like 1

gimruis

Every year in November or December you hear of some moron who decided it was worth risking his life for some panfish and fell through the ice because it was unsafe.  STAY OFF THE ICE, how many times is this going to continue to happen?

FowlSki

gimruis, please keep an eye on the ice condition on the local lakes and let us know when we are safe to go on the ice.  We're all counting on you. 

gimruis
18 hours ago, FowlSki said:

We're all counting on you. 

Terrible idea!  The only advice I can give you I already gave you.  Stay on dry land my friend.

opsirc

Any new ice reports?  Looking For s something about Nicholas or strand

Surface Tension

I've got 6- 8" on my home lake.

I've heard reports of 3" on Eastern side of Fish Lake from High Banks Resort-Blue Max.

ICEN PIKE

Any ice reports for rice lake? Going to be up that way this weekend wanted to take my little cousin ice fishing.

Thanks in advance.

Surface Tension

We haven't made any ice since my last report and this week isn't looking any better with temps reaching Upper 30's.     We had rain and warm temps with one night to freeze that up. 

Sunday I walked out on Grand Lake and measured  6-7".    A snowmobile went through Rice lake last weekend. 

The ice is soft, drill a few inches down and watch the water seep into the hole.   Last I heard still no travel advised West of High Banks on Fish Lake.   If you decide to push your luck and get out at least buddy up, walk out with a spud bar, cleats, rope, picks, and flotation.

ICEN PIKE

Thanks surface tension for the report! 

osok

Flew over the reservoirs yesterday, open water was visible in parts on all. Only was able to get a photo of Rice.  Open water  is present by the islands. Smaller lakes in the area are all iced over.   

Rice LAke 11_29.jpg

Edited by osok
this
  • Like 1

Sherpa

I stopped by the landing at Rice to check it out today. While there I watched a guy head out to the right on skates and he went through. He got out no problem but he sure was wet and cold. He said he was following his friends tracks that had already skated out. Just thought I would put it out there that ice is dangerous on that lake right now. Lots of open water going straight out from the landing.

Edited by Sherpa
  • Like 1

Wanderer

Skates might be just about the worst thing to be wearing on marginal ice, I would think.  That’s about the least amount of surface area to put your body weight on.

ICEN PIKE

Went out on rice last weekend the landing is real sketchy but off to the right down the channel i found 6.5 to 7 inches of ice. Where that person went through on ice skates was about 1 inch so ice depth varies by the landing but found 6.5 to 7 inches consistently out on the lake WHERE I WAS. Be safe out there and spud often.

Surface Tension

Warm weather then rain Monday(Dec 4). Thankfully it stopped raining before the  temps dropped into the teens Monday night and we didn't get any snow.   Checked the ice on Tue and was relieved to see all standing water had froze.   If I get out this weekend it'll be on foot and one the smaller and shallower area lakes.