• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First sit of the year

ANYFISH2

This evening turned out to be the first sit of the year, due to poor weather and not beimg able to sneak out during the week.

The trail cams showed there seemed to be pretty consistent daytime movement all season, to date.

I was pretty excited to get out.  Then I arrived to property to realize, this parcel was super inundated water.  Forcing my lazy but to walk the lenght of this 200+ acre piece sloshing the whole way.  No wonder they haven't chopped the drowned out corn.

As I made my way out, I met up with the neighbor, who was anticipating hunt ducks there this evening.  After a short talk he tells me he will hold off till the morning.  I was kinda please with his decisions.

I arrived at the stand and got set up about 4:30.  The view from the stand revealed the many trails the critters were using to navigate the lake that was once a field.

20171007_165346.thumb.jpg.44d4ed8be655965466ef4d32efa5ec2a.jpg

To my suprise they seemed to want come right my way!

The evening got interesting at 6pm.  To the west about 400 yards the ditch that drains this property has come over its banks and made a killer duck pond.  There must have been 200+ birds on all afternoon.  This must been too much to pass up for the neighbor, as he busts the pond and sets up his decoys.  Not sure this going to be a good thing.

Not 15 minutes later, I about jump out of my stand to the sound of 3 shot gun blasts and fleeting flock of Canada geese.  This evening may not work out I start thinking.

A short couple minutes pass and I hear splashing the west.  I look that direction to see a large doe and 2 fawns start coming between me and the neighbor!  In short, they turn and work quickly to within 20 yards but not giving a good shot, not sure i was interested anyway.  Just as they enter the woods behind me another doe and a single fawn fly out from the same spot the first 3 came from and run straight into the corn, Seconds later another, this time it is a young 8 point buck, he works directly to me, to within the same 20 yrd area the first entered my woods.  No shot was offered, he wasnt big, but he definitely would have made me proud to call him my first.  It just wasn't meant to be.

Now the neighbor is gathering up his geese it appears.  I sit and watch him hoping he doesn't spook any deer that may still be wanting to come out.

To my surprise, I turn and look directly in front of me to see a nice lone doe working out of the tall grass in front.  I get ready as if she stays on that trail, it will bring her right to me!  And it does,  she quickly walks to within 7 yds when I try to stop her, unfortunately she sees the Neighbor at the same time.  She spooks but stops about 20 yrds out, perfectly quartering away.  I let the arrow fly, finally for change, not questions about the shot!  She never made back to the woods she came from!  I actually watched her crash into a big old splash! I have rarely see my bow kill tip over.  Still only 6:30.

I sit until dark, seeing 2 more deer, a doe and a fawn.  I leave to get my reinforcements, son, his friend, and my wife.

We return about 8, to recover her.  It is really the first time i was forced to dress a deer in water over my boots, as there just was high ground to do it near by.  It was quite the experience to recover, and drag out(and carry until we found "shallow" enough water to drag)a deer that far through that much water!!  It was a first in many ways today.

FB_IMG_1507433081761.thumb.jpg.7536826c50baf53eba1cbf11d37f66b1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

What an interesting evening of hunting!

Congrats on a real nice looking doe!

By the way, the neighbor you talked to kept his word.  He didn't go out there till Monday morning.  His brother didn't know you guys made a deal though! ;)

Small world....

• Thumbs Up 1

So you know George then?  I have a difficult time remember who is who in that clan.

Good guys, I am sure we will cross paths again. 

It is a small world after all.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Congrats on the doe !!

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

So you know George then?  I have a difficult time remember who is who in that clan.

Good guys, I am sure we will cross paths again. 

It is a small world after all.

Yup, George.  And yup, a good guy.  I haven't met the rest of the clan.  I shot clays over the summer with him.

Tell him thank you for being accommodating to me when I got out there.  

I wish him good luck as well with the ducks and deer.

We may see each other again,  I will be back out again looking for a buck, and the wife looking for her first deer ever.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.