Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

MJ1657

Had a fun morning. Not a lot of numbers but a nice variety. Buffleheads, ring necks, golden eye, and hooded Meganser. 

20171006_104239.jpg

20171006_103943.jpg

20171006_094739.jpg

20171005_093853.jpg

20171005_053526.jpg

• Like 1

Wanderer

Nice pics MJ.  Wish I were there wit ya's.

My only consolation for not being there is half of my electrical got done today and the other half will be tomorrow.  

The shooting break tonight was kinda cool too.  I got my 7mm - 08 zeroed and was able to take some cracks with a 6.5 Creedmore and custom .300 mag.  The 6.5 was dinging the plate @ 800.  The .300 was making 700.  Couldn't get it consistent at 800 for some reason.

Those were some fabulous irons!

IMG_1829.thumb.JPG.0d58ea0ef67d4c569a6088fccc112b27.JPG

MJ1657

Not a lot of ducks flying yesterday. The three we did get decoyed perfectly so that made it fun. Pair of green wing teal and a ring neck. It was a treat shooting the green wing. 

The egg sandwich was excellent.....

20171007_104217.jpg

20171007_085729.jpg

20171007_085222.jpg

• Like 2

monstermoose78

Get ready guys I was north of Ely and saw snow geese, golden eyes, buffleheads, bluebills,  teal, woodies, mallards, lesser Canadians, cracklers, common merks, and cans!! 

• Like 1

Wanderer

Holy migrators Batman!  Hopefully they stick around - I'm planning on heading to Ely this weekend so that's some good news!

MJ1657

We finished our hunt Sunday morning with s blue bill, blue wing teal and ring neck. Not a lot of ducks flying but we had a blast. 

Oh and I'm sneaking in a solo goose hunt this morning. :)

20171008_084856.jpg

20171009_074659.jpg

• Like 1

MJ1657

All done by 8 this morning. 

20171009_083216.jpg

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Finn and I seen some big bunches of ducks! One flock of woodies must had 30 birds. They must have seen the dog move or me and flared off at 70 yards. Seen a huge group of teal. Had a pair of woodie drakes bank in and the last one hit the bank 3 feet from Finn. He was mad, because he did not get to go swimming for it. 

6E35C047-D030-4F05-BED6-B7AA72218F9D.jpeg

• Like 1

MJ1657

This mornings shoot.

20171010_083607.jpg

• Like 1

Yellowstone

Did some scouting before work this morning to study flyways over the lake and saw big flocks of woodies. No other species other than the rafts of hundreds of coots on the lake. We had a fun experience Saturday morning where I called in a goose (we had our four floaters out at the edge of the rest of the decoys). It broke away from a flock perhaps thinking it would find a mate. It disappeared behind the trees. I kept calling and a few minutes later gave up, saying, I think he's gone. A few seconds later "Dad, here comes!!!" and he was about 10 yards in front of us flying fast. We each got a hurried shot off but nothing. Seconds go by and my son says "Man those things are huge but hard to hit!" lol

I have thought about taking him goose hunting with an outfitter somewhere in Minnesota for a day or afternoon just to learn how to do it before we'd scout and invest in field hunting gear. If anyone has recommendations, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

• Like 1

Yellowstone

Moose, I am bringing those floaters back (with store's blessing). The paint is chipping so badly on them after a few uses. And I separate them and leave them in the back of the SUV until we get to the landing. The big box sporting goods store discounted them again from $79 to $59 if that tells you anything. I found a set of four higdon floaters for $79 at a different online outlet and have read good things about them in terms of durability and they have flocked heads with four different poses too. We'll see. The other eventful thing that happened Saturday is I opened the SUV tailgate on my face in a rush to get going and gave myself a black eye and scratched glasses lens. Good times.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Glad they took them back. I am getting out Hunting tomorrow for ducks before the woodies head out.

Yellowstone

Good luck! I may try Friday morning if I can. I don't like to start bowhunting until the leaves are off the trees yet, otherwise I would be doing that!

monstermoose78

This is prime duck killing time

Mossy19

Moose, I was up in Ely 10-5 to 10-8 and barely saw any waterfowl.  We were fishing, and lot of the lakes we were on had rice, but no ducks.  Barely heard any shooting in the a.m.  The most ducks I saw were on Shagawa in Ely and maybe saw 30.  My buddy that lives up there says ducks have been horrible this year up there (as it pertains to numbers).  I understand that you were north of Ely and may not have made it down yet.  Just reporting what I saw.

monstermoose78

I was way up by crane lake and the lakes had lots of ducks ely area gets hunted by college kids and locals for ducks

MJ1657

We had a good morning. 

20171014_092746.jpg

• Like 1

monstermoose78

That’s some meat MJ

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Back to missing everything. I burned up over a box on woodies dropping through the oaks. Missed a flock of mallards that locked up and I shot holes on the sky. Finn was sick of duck hunting, so we went to jump the brook and I missed two grouse. I called it day when a flock geese buzzed us and I missed again. 

Yellowstone

We had a few passing shots this Saturday morning but holy cow the lake was busy. We got there an hour and a half before lst and got the last real parking spot. Six boats out ahead of us and two more came after I think. We got our #2 spot. One guy on the point had dozens of divers out on lines but I don't think anything really decoyed in. Not for us at least. Several groups skybusting and shooting the he$$ out of anything within a couple hundred feet above them. We saw a lot of ducks and the one pass by, when we got four shots off, there was silence and my son goes "Geez, I can't believe we didn't hit at least one (of the group of 7)." lol. I am off Wednesday through Friday for MEA. Think we will get out a few of those mornings and skip the zoo on the weekend. Though I tempted to do four mornings in a row. We just have to get up butt early on Saturday. : )

• Like 1

monstermoose78

I need to slow down and focus on shooting 

Yellowstone

Ditto. I switched to a 3 inch shell in #2 shot. I missed a few wood ducks this morning but got one teal. Not bad for the WMA I was hunting. 2 ducks would be great. 3-4 like you won the lottery. Saw plenty of action but it was fast moving wood ducks out of range. Geese never showed. And you can't shoot trumpeter swans! There were plenty of those. Let my boy sleep in this morning. Tomorrow we'll hit the more pressured lake. I saw at least one person setting up on it this morning on my drive to the WMA. The nice thing about that - when you're almost certain you'll be the only one there - is that you can roll in not long before shooting time if it doesn't take you long to set up.

duck1.JPG

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Hungryman76
      By Hungryman76
        I'm fairly new to goose hunting (I'm a bow hunter) and I hunt with a few guys that are equally as new.  We all live and hunt in the north east metro about an hour from Minneapolis.  Being new to the sport, our goose calling needs some work.  Does anyone know of someone that gives goose calling lessons?  The lessons don't need to be in the northeast metro, we can travel.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Hey every one,
      my old lohman wood duck finally bit the big one, so I am in the market for realistic sounding wood duck call. My old lohman would stop woodies in their tracks, but I heard the duck commander wood duck call and it sounded off. Please let me know what you use and how it work thank you.
    • Troy Smutka
      By Troy Smutka
      10/11/16 Central MN
           Decent first three weekends of the waterfowl season in central MN. Been water hunting only so far, on permanent water. Ducks are dispersed with all the temporary flood water around from all the rain. Crops are slowly coming out, will probably be behind schedule due to wet conditions. We have harvested mallards, wood ducks, BWT, GWT, shovelers, pintails, redheads, ringnecks, ruddy ducks,and Canada geese so far. Locals the first two weekends, but the cold front last week move a lot of local ducks out and a few new birds moved in out of ND and Canada. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• Neighbor_guy
      By Neighbor_guy
      Any bird reports from the South end??? 
      Just wondering if anyone is seeing anything flying or loafing. I am coming up for the weekend to do some maintenance on my parents place. Trying to decide what to haul up there. I know what I saw a month ago, but a lot can change in a short time on big water. 
      People with eyes on conditions helps. 

Thanks. 
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      With all the ducks I am seeing next weekend should be a fun time. I am going to be chasing Ducks in the morning and deer in the evening. I am jacked up for this duck season. My cousins husband said we will be doing more diver hunts this year. I am thinking I will hunt my dad's pond opening morning, because I will be deer hunting the field that afternoon. 
    • tealitup
      By tealitup
      For many years I could only afford the cheapest decoys - which worked. But, I finally upgraded my goose floaters.  Can you see the difference? 

Gnh used 6 years with paining touch ups verses avian x. 

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      It is about time to start scouting for deer.  I have been seeing lots of deer hitting bean fields. The deer have been using a trail near the pond at my dads and this is good for me seeing I can hunt on the down wind side of this trail. Is anyone starting to get the itch to sit in a stand waiting for deer to come by?
      The oats and wheat field are be harvested and the geese are starting to fly around looking for the harvested ones.
      I have been looking for ducks and have been finding a good number of wood ducks, teal, and mallards around for now. 
      I will be getting some practice time in with the crossbow, so I am ready for the first day of deer season. I should get out and shoot some trap as well with the shotgun to get ready for the goose season.
    • Ranger62200
      Anyone have a recent water temp for Vermilion?
    • eyeguy 54
      heard that a fluflu and a waxie might work. will try if I get back.  
    • smurfy
      looks like cow bay!!!!!!!!!! nice fish.
    • eyeguy 54
    • Hoey
      I have not heard any reasons for the purported relocation.  Just thinking out loud here - Walker Bay has not had enough ice in many of the past years, so they have to hold the event on shore and not on the lake.  There is limited space for a shore event there.  Maybe Bemidji makes more ice and/or they have more on-shore accommodations.  Walker itself is more of a tourist and family town and the Pout Fest is not that.  
    • Rick
      Hunters are reminded to register deer before processing, before antlers are removed and within 48 hours after taking the animal, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  “Deer registration provides information that is essential to our ability to manage deer populations,” said Steve Merchant, wildlife populations and regulations manager. “Hunters are required to register deer and it’s a fairly simple process.” Hunters register deer with a phone call, online or in person. Before registering a deer, hunters must validate their site tag. The validated tag must be attached to the deer when the deer is placed on a motor vehicle or an ATV, a vehicle or a trailer being towed by an ATV or brought into a camp, yard or other place of habitation. Phone registration
      Register deer via phone by calling 888-706-6367. Directions are printed on each deer hunting license. Have a pen or permanent marker ready. A confirmation number will be given; it must be written on the license and site tag. Internet registration
      Register deer via internet at mndnr.gov/gameregistration. Directions will be similar to phone registration, and a confirmation number must be written on the license and site tag. In-person registration
      When phone or internet registration is not possible, hunters must take their deer to a big-game registration station. The person whose name appears on the license must be present at the registration station with their deer. They will receive a big-game possession tag that must be attached to the hind leg, ear or antler where the site tag was attached. A list of all stations organized by city and county is available at any DNR wildlife office or at mndnr.gov/hunting/deer. During registration, the hunter must use the permit area number where the deer was harvested; using the wrong deer permit area for registration is illegal. Registration instructions for all methods are available at mndnr.gov/gameregistrationhelp. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BrianF
      Hi Jim, the problem with channels on Tonka is not only the current, which keeps the ice thin all winter, but also due to the effects of road salt/chemicals.  Many of the channels have bridges over them which receive a lot of automobile traffic.  In the winter, road salt/chemicals are pour on the roads during adverse weather conditions.  Cars and especially snow plows cause the salt/chemicals to splash over the guard rails and onto the ice.  When you see new reports of cars going thru the ice on channels, it's usually right under a road overpass, for this reason.  Because of the road salts, channels are just a super dangerous place to be, even during our coldest winters.  
    • Hookmaster
      I'm pretty sure there is still a winter only access on Smith's bay just north of where hiway 51 intersects hiway 15 at the lake.  It's just before the North Shore Marina. You'd have to trailer to there but then you'd have the main lake to fish.
    • Rick
      Pheasants banded in Nobles and Redwood counties Pheasant hunters can voluntarily report roosters that were banded as part of a study being conducted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  DNR Farmland Wildlife Populations and Research Group workers captured and banded roosters during a research project. The two study areas involved in the project are the Lamberton Wildlife Management Area complex in Redwood County and the Worthington Wells Project Area south of Worthington, located in Nobles County. Although the study is focused on hen pheasants and their broods, roosters were also opportunistically captured in an attempt to collect survival information on males. A plain metal leg band with a unique identifying number was placed on the right leg of each rooster. Hunters are asked to contact the Farmland Wildlife Research Group to report harvest information. The band number, date of harvest, and location information (WMA name or GPS coordinates preferred) are requested. If hunters want information on when and where the bird was initially captured, they may also provide their contact information so that researchers can return their call. GPS locations and personal data will not be made public. Although Minnesota has a rooster-only hunting season, hunters who come across a dead radio-collared and/or banded hen are also asked to call with information so that researchers can refine their hen data. To voluntarily report birds marked as part of this study, contact Lindsey Messinger, 507-642-8478, ext. 224. Alternatively, people may contact Lindsey by email at Lindsey.Messinger@state.mn.us. This work is funded in part through the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act. Additional details about pheasant hunting are available at mndnr.gov/hunting/pheasant. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, in conjunction with the Michigan and Wisconsin natural resources departments, will take questions about the Lake States Forest Bat Habitat Conservation Plan at 3 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 31. The phone conference is for anyone interested in the integration of forest practices with conservation measures to support bat populations.  Forest bat populations are rapidly declining, and one or more species may soon be reclassified as endangered. If reclassified, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service provides the opportunity to develop a Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP). An HCP helps endangered species recover by setting out habitat conservation plans during land management activities. In preparation, Minnesota and neighboring states are developing a forest bat HCP that aims to maintain bat habitat and allow important forest management activities to continue. Input from forest land owners, forest managers, conservation groups and other stakeholders is essential to developing an effective HCP. An introductory video describing the HCP process and how to participate is available at https://youtu.be/46IAHTaqJQE. The DNR encourages participants to watch the video prior to the Oct. 31 question and answer session. To access the session, in the ten minutes prior to the call start time, participants should dial 855-802-6790 toll-free and, at the prompt, enter the conference ID code 93441291. Anyone requiring an accommodation to participate in the phone conference is asked to email bathcp.dnr@state.mn.us or call 651-259-5919 as early as possible. More information is available at mndnr.gov/bathcp.   Contact: Lindsey Messinger, wildlife research biologist, 507-642-8478, ext. 224.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.