• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 duck season

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I went hunting with river rat this morning. I got two drake woodies and Chris got one. Finn was being a pain in the butt and would not fetch Chris’s duck. Finn however fetched both of my ducks. Finn flushed a bunch of woodcocks on our walk out. Finn got muddy today 

38C5CEFA-758D-43F9-B332-4479B98F138E.jpeg

813DA744-78B8-40E2-B504-BA1F852D3DF0.jpeg

I tried a new spot this morning very near where a bunch of geese and some ducks have been loafing the last couple days. Got one goose and when I went to retrieve it all the rest of the birds busted out and never returned. Definitely a warm opener!

1 hour ago, KidMoe said:

I tried a new spot this morning very near where a bunch of geese and some ducks have been loafing the last couple days. Got one goose and when I went to retrieve it all the rest of the birds busted out and never returned. Definitely a warm opener!

Bummer they might return tomorrow 

Yeah we'll see, maybe. I also lost 2 brand new decoys to as the weights didn't hold. I'm doing some digital scouting, might try a lake in the morning. 

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am going to see about sitting on my dads pond tomorrow morning or I might hit the river up again.

Did pretty Good, my son and I almost limited out. Perfect conditions for duck opener.  Attached is my son with a few..

Jack duck opener.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Awesome paceman!!! Great job getting the kid out!!

One goose and one woodie so far today.  And will probably be our total count.  Saw plenty of birds but in a new spot we didn't have dialed in until the end of the morning flights.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to go to my dads pond but my sister texted her friend is there so don’t come. Yep last time that will happen. There is one mad monstermoose! So I stayed home.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 12:46 PM, monstermoose78 said:

I went hunting with river rat this morning. I got two drake woodies and Chris got one. Finn was being a pain in the butt and would not fetch Chris’s duck. Finn however fetched both of my ducks. Finn flushed a bunch of woodcocks on our walk out. Finn got muddy today 

38C5CEFA-758D-43F9-B332-4479B98F138E.jpeg

813DA744-78B8-40E2-B504-BA1F852D3DF0.jpeg

Time for some force fetch training maybe?

12 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I was going to go to my dads pond but my sister texted her friend is there so don’t come. Yep last time that will happen. There is one mad monstermoose! So I stayed home.

1234.png

• Yayyyy 1

10 hours ago, ZachD said:

1234.png

But it’s true it ain’t big enough!

Good day for me duck hunting got my wood duck limit.

0D471B16-E99D-4A66-82FF-FDF3B2B54E2C.jpeg

Well went out this morning to my dads pond and a couple woodies drop in before shooting time and Finn lost it and went to get them. I need to move my decoys out in front of the maple tree. I looked towards battle brook and here comes three ducks twisting and turning I see the big white bellies and dark front and thought here are some woodies. Bang bang bang splash splash and clean miss. I got so excited on the first double of the year. It was good I missed the last one Finn brought the first one up and it was a mergansers they sure came in like woodies. While Finn was getting the second one 5 wood ducks came screaming in and I had not reloaded.  Seen 6 more groups of woodies just out of range. Had 4 bluewing teal in the back end of the pond but they never came over. 6B4EC59F-DD5D-461B-A46B-F57E5690E8F6.jpeg

69DC0E4D-42CF-4710-9B17-A8CBBBCB8B5D.jpeg

E5BE2ED4-634F-4885-9D9B-890438C6D873.jpeg

EF87C026-52F7-4883-82D4-6386704BBB39.jpeg

9F57C3C8-591F-4331-BDD1-4EA275229FF5.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

We've shot some woodies and teal. I found a way to get into an untouched section of river in thr metro which is amazing. No boats can make it in there, kayaks and canoes only. On opener we were completely alone. I shot a hen woodie with this neat looking band. Anyone ever seen one like this? I have no idea the story behind it. 

20170923_103902.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Duck hunting was a bit slow this morning so we hustled over and set up for some goose field hunting. It wasn't an ideal set up for geese but they were flying so we threw some decoys out and ditched the pickup by some farm equipment. 

20170930_064405.jpg

20170930_064434.jpg

20170930_073549.jpg

20170930_094018.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I got one wood duck yesterday. I am killing birds with my first shot, but the second and third shots have not been good. Also how can you hit a little wood duck and miss a big ole goose? Finn was pissed off at this duck for moving after he brought it to me. 

40904E72-89A3-4467-90C3-E1438E7C1982.jpeg

436BB8DE-BCD1-49FD-9899-1F540C2877D1.jpeg

How can you miss a big ol goose?

Because you don't think you can!  Haha!

My first 5 shots of the season yielded 4 birds.  The one miss was my first try at my goose.  I told myself to pay attention and dropped it stone cold on the second shot. The head is the target, not the body.

So far this season I've missed some too but mostly it's been 1 shot; 1 dead bird.  And I'm not cleaning out shot strung meat either.  It's been nice and I owe it to shooting the sporting clays league over the summer.

Oh yeah, and I've been using #4 shot on ducks and BB on goose.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

@TNtoMN_HuntFish 

That is a crazy looking band for a duck!  I'm wondering if it might be someone's private band for some reason?

@MJ1657 

Nice adjustment.  Looks like good smoker meat!

Marinated it in diet Coke and teryaki yesterday and grilled it over charcoal last night. It was delicious. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have bee. Shooting 2 shot and have getting head shots on the ducks. I think you might be right I am shoot at the body of the goose so I was behind it. 

7 hours ago, MJ1657 said:

Marinated it in diet Coke and teryaki yesterday and grilled it over charcoal last night. It was delicious. 

Sounds pretty good!

Or..

Brined in High Mountain Game Bird, brushed with olive oil before going into the mesquite smoke and finshed with a brush of Thielens teriyaki?

IMG_1815.thumb.JPG.fbaa048a71109ba016af65f11087ae12.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a fun morning. Not a lot of numbers but a nice variety. Buffleheads, ring necks, golden eye, and hooded Meganser. 

20171006_104239.jpg

20171006_103943.jpg

20171006_094739.jpg

20171005_093853.jpg

20171005_053526.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice pics MJ.  Wish I were there wit ya's.

My only consolation for not being there is half of my electrical got done today and the other half will be tomorrow.  

The shooting break tonight was kinda cool too.  I got my 7mm - 08 zeroed and was able to take some cracks with a 6.5 Creedmore and custom .300 mag.  The 6.5 was dinging the plate @ 800.  The .300 was making 700.  Couldn't get it consistent at 800 for some reason.

Those were some fabulous irons!

IMG_1829.thumb.JPG.0d58ea0ef67d4c569a6088fccc112b27.JPG

Not a lot of ducks flying yesterday. The three we did get decoyed perfectly so that made it fun. Pair of green wing teal and a ring neck. It was a treat shooting the green wing. 

The egg sandwich was excellent.....

20171007_104217.jpg

20171007_085729.jpg

20171007_085222.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Get ready guys I was north of Ely and saw snow geese, golden eyes, buffleheads, bluebills,  teal, woodies, mallards, lesser Canadians, cracklers, common merks, and cans!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy migrators Batman!  Hopefully they stick around - I'm planning on heading to Ely this weekend so that's some good news!