• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Streiffs Tournament

Thought I would give a short report on the Streiffs from last Saturday.....big wind, big waves. We beat our way about 12 miles NE to start. . Mid-day with the north wind gusting to the upper twenties, maybe higher, most guys were talking 6 foot or bigger waves. Big foamers. Some boats were bait fishing, some trolling in the mud. There were 6 overs caught including a 31 1/2.

A local guide, Sean Westman and his partner, won with 15+ pounds. Sure a lot of nice boats these days. A very well run tournament.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice report SRJ.  My wife and I were #8 in the first flight.  We finished a sad 71st with only one fish, knowing 18 inchers or better are required to place.  We woke up Saturday morning to a howling wind and a roar from the waves hitting Rocky Point from the north knowing it was going to be interesting.  

We traveled up to the south shore of the angle to get out of the rollers.  When we turned the border corner and headed north, we were met head on with 5 to 6 foot rollers - a slow go.  20 miles as the crow flies took us a hour and 10 minutes. 

We know of two boats that ended up with busted windshields.  I was surprised we did not sustain damage as we hit some waves pretty hard.  

Congratulations to the winners and I look forward to doing it again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hoey, we were # 92. We finished 5 ounces out of the money, tied for 13th place. Quite a few slots but only 1 19 incher. Our bite was surprisingly good considering the unsettled weather. We spent most of our time between 12 and 16 mile pulling leadcore. It was a test of sorts for the new boat....a Stratos 326. I was pleasantly surprised by the ride under power and the ability to troll into those foamers without getting a bath. Now and then there would be a little water over the front but not much. It wouldn't have worked with my Gen 1 621. I had planned to run up and troll back but running the Verado rather than the kicker going against them worked well. Pleased nothing broke! Besides the missing windshields there appeared to be one boat with only part of its bow mount. I also heard of a couple of missing locators.

It was nice to see the wind let up towards the end of the day.

Take care

• Thumbs Up 1

Another observation from the tournament and pre-fishing: On LOW I don't usually get very concerned about colors on cranks. However, Friday and Sat, the UV white with pink striped top shad rap was doing about 6 to 1 in the mornings. Afternoons, the gold foil rap was by far our best color. I'm a bit color blind, but pretty sure that UV rap has pink on the top. Wonder what fish actually see...........not much pink striped stuff swimming around the big lake.

Thanks for the reports.

Steve, were you at Long Point today? I saw a Stratos

Hey Curt, not me. But I might get over that way tomorrow as I'm coming up this afternoon. Depending on the wind, I hope to go reef hopping pulling bouncers rather than trolling. I'm curious if the big school is still sitting over east of LP, more or less in front of the Graceton cut. It was a big bunch of fish.

A week or so of stable weather would sure be nice. The only  time the wind seems to blow from the same direction for more than a day is if it is somewhere out of the north.

I was to Graceton a couple of times and saw the boats but never saw the fish. I really like that are but missed it this year.

Bouncers in reeftops is hot as heck right now. Lemms was loaded with big biters yesterday. Good plan.

I have been jigging out in the mud, more and more fish out deep every day.

Good luck