• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mandatory Boat-Wash/Inspection Station in Annandale

A few days ago I saw video of the Wright County Board discussing and voting on a mandatory boat-wash and inspection station in Annandale. It sounded to me like this is going to be a pre-launch requirement for anyone seeking access to area lakes. They seemed unconcerned with boater's reaction to the prospect of increased fees and even less concerned with the idea of the station's proposed capacity being unable to manage the number of boats that come into the area. They seemed like their attitude was, "we need this, the DNR isn't moving on it, so we're going to do it ourselves and then everyone else will follow, we don't care if boaters complain about the cost, and we don't care if boats get backed up, we're doing it anyway."

I may not be 100% right about this part, but it sounded like they were talking about ONE cleaning station and ONE inspection station, and that it would take 15-20 minutes to clean and inspect a boat. When they mentioned specific lakes, it was John, Sylvia, and Pleasant. However, the general conversation seemed to include all the area lakes.

If I have the basic facts correct, this sounds less like a fight against invasive species and more like an effort to keep non-residents off local lakes - at least the three they spoke about specifically.

This is a mess. I have already called the Wright county soil and water and voiced my opinion. What people do not realize is that they want this for the whole county if it works out. You are correct they want us off there lake. At some point somehow it will probably have a gate installed this is what has happened in California on many lakes. This is just the beginning my friends call and voice your opinions. When I watched the board meeting they sure seem to use our lake not the MN residents lake. Can you imagine going to Annandale getting checked then going fishing on Brookes lake in Cokato some day? I see a lot of boats for sale in the future.

This is crazy stuff. Coming from the same groups that would weed spray our lakes every week if they could! 

There is a petition out there against it. Share with your Friends.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-the-lake-assosiations-of-sylviapleasantjohn-from-over-regulating-our-public-waters.html?sh=IMlM8AoMSQxNIcfoNg9yiFpa%2FO%2FWfbMtyY76qngBOpy0lFq9mG4%3D

Edited by RuddyDuck

We need this petition to be spread far and wide quickly. If you have a facebook page, post the link along with a description of what the county has done. If your town has a community facebook "Bulletin board" page, post it there as well. Send it to your email contacts.

This is happening, unless people rise up against it, and it may even be too late for that.

Signed it, and added some comments. I over dramatized my concerns a bit, went with the typical loss to local economy and drop in fishing license, but also added road rage incidents at the washing stations ;)

• 1 month later...

I saw this on the Wright County website today: http://www.wrightswcd.org/Water_Mana...e_species.html
There's a link in Blue on the home page.

Sounds like they are having a meeting about it on AUG 23. From talking to the DNR, I believe they didn't allow the initial dates for this to happen. Mostly because there was really no comment period on it. Sounds like they are gonna have it now. Guess if your against it, now's your chance to speak up. You can also send in written comments. Not sure exactly to who, at least I didn't see that part clearly. Maybe to Alicia O'Hare.

Like others have said, I believe their ultimate goal is to have this implemented county wide at some point. When you look at the committee info, most groups are lake associations. Hopefully it still can be stopped.

Here is the DNR person I called on this, she was helpful: Heidi Wolf - 651-259-5152

Anyone else have new info on this?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Unless they find a way to stop all the kinds of waterfowl from swimming, diving, eating and pooping from lake to lake. It's never going away. :whistle:

Edited by leech~~

13 hours ago, mrpike1973 said:

Same here saw on another site I will be taking off work and letting them know my opinion.

On the lighter side, I am 'SpoonBillSlayer' on that other site.:) For whatever reason years ago when I joined these sites I used two different userids. Both odd duck names that fit an odd duck!

I just wanted to get the new updates out on this mess, it just seems like the only people being notified of it are those in  lake assoc's.  We'll see what happens. 

Edited by RuddyDuck

Reminder, meeting tonight at 7:00pm in Annandale and written comment period runs til August 28th. The email addresses for comment are on pages 18-19.

Comment now or the days of fishing your favorite lake anytime you want, will be over! I’m sure this is coming to a county near you if this goes thru out here.

I went to the meeting last night, which was more like an Open House. They had no speaker or gave no presentation of the Plan. You just walked around and talked to some County Reps and two DNR reps. They did have some lake Assoc people there too, but I didn’t bother talking to them.

What I got out of it from the DNR was, write in your concerns to them. They have the final power. At least to me, it seemed DNR lady was not impressed with the meeting and pointedly said, They can build all the washing stations they want, but until we approve it, it would just be voluntary. Talking to County Reps and a few old friends who are lake owners on John, they want this thru now. They said it keeps getting pushed back. They are ticked at the DNR. We did all agree on one thing, that we all don’t like that AIS is spreading.

So morale of story, write the DNR, County and your State reps! If you could only write one letter, send it to the DNR.

DNR – [email protected]
County – [email protected]

• Thumbs Up 1

Last day to write in comments today, get em in!  Your lake may not be on this list, but remember this is a pilot. 

In the handouts, it says they want to expand it to other lakes in the county after the pilot goes thru!!

• 1 month later...

The Pilot passed, runs Oct 11 thru Oct 31 of this year. Then they have to reapply for 2018 for those same 3 lakes.

• 1 month later...