Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Im staying at Arrowwood July 2-5 and looking to catch some 'eyes for a fish fry or 2. Never been to the area before so I dont have much to go by other than my overall knowledge of Walleye fishing elsewhere. Ill probably be fishing early mornings and dusk for obvious reasons, but also because my boat will be used for the majority of the days for entertaining the girlfriends family. Im open to fishing not only Darling, but Carlos and Le Homme Dieu as well. 

From what ive read and can see on Google Earth, the lakes are pretty clear, and from experience, usually means tough walleye fishing for this time of year. -I grew up fishing Woman Lake in the Longville/Hackensack area and that lake is as clear as they come. The only way we can snag some 'eyes in the summer is to fish the deep weed lines. Is that the approach I should be taking on these lakes? Does dragging rapalas across mid-lake flats produce? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin.

BobT

I actually haven't spent much time on those lakes but if they're anything like Osakis, don't rule out breaking the rules. I have caught walleyes on glass-like conditions in shallow water (8' or less) in midday with clear skies and bright sun in July on Osakis speed trolling crankbaits. Might be an option to consider. 

Personally, I'm mostly a jig and minnow fisherman when it comes to eyes and the rule of thumb I've learned is on clear water with sandy bottoms go with shiners. The first time I heard this, I was skeptical but I now believe this to be a good rule to follow. That doesn't mean fatheads or other bait won't work. Like I said, you may have to throw out the rule book. 

Don't know if this helped any. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, BobT said:

I actually haven't spent much time on those lakes but if they're anything like Osakis, don't rule out breaking the rules. I have caught walleyes on glass-like conditions in shallow water (8' or less) in midday with clear skies and bright sun in July on Osakis speed trolling crankbaits. Might be an option to consider. 

Personally, I'm mostly a jig and minnow fisherman when it comes to eyes and the rule of thumb I've learned is on clear water with sandy bottoms go with shiners. The first time I heard this, I was skeptical but I now believe this to be a good rule to follow. That doesn't mean fatheads or other bait won't work. Like I said, you may have to throw out the rule book. 

Don't know if this helped any. Good luck. 

Thanks for the reply, Bob! Will definitely try it

carpshooterdeluxe

bouncers and crawlers pulled fast.  1.6-2.0 mph.

50 minutes ago, carpshooterdeluxe said:

bouncers and crawlers pulled fast.  1.6-2.0 mph.

Thanks for the reply, Shooter. Ive been reading up on some past years fishing reports for this time of year and i got the impression that bouncers and spinners would be productive, so ive got them ready to go. 

I think im going to head up to Carlos in the mornings and target 18-24 feet of water. The thing im not too certain about is structure. Should i be hitting mid lake humps at those depths or should i follow those depths along the drop offs parallel to the shoreline?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Went and checked the first ice lakes and found .5 inches to almost 2 inches. If you go out please bring a buddy and dry clothes.
    • ac777
      By ac777
      Looking to get on some walleye and crappie this week, looks like mayflies were out in full force last night when I was on the lake. First year fishing this lake, where does a guy start?
    • Jason Aherns
      By Jason Aherns
      Me and my family never have caught a walleye where can we go 2- 3 hours from Chisago city Mn? And pretty much guarantee abunce in walleyes and maybe have a few for dinner?  I have tried and tried caught some real awesome fish so far but no walleyes please help thank you
    • Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      Hey guys and gals!
      I was wondering what kind of fish is this? I was thinking they were redhorse suckers or something but I am not 100% sure! I have been catching them out of the Mississippi and don't know if they are invasive or what the heck they are because they smell god awful!
      Thanks!

• Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.

Thanks in advance!
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• White-tips
      By White-tips

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 2-20-17   Fishing on the MN side started out a little slower at the beginning of the warmer temps we have been having but we have seen a 360 turn around and fishing is back to where we like to see it for the NW Angle. We are seeing a lot of nice Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Tulibee and Pike being caught in 20-26 feet on the rocks and sand. The best areas we have seen all year are on rocks and shallow, the fish are feeding on the crayfish. The best colors ave been gold, red, silver and blue on spoons, rattler flyers, ripping raps and buckshots.   Over on the Canadian Side the Walleyes, saugers, Perch, Crappie and Pike continue to bite. The morning and afternoon bite has been best for the Walleye and Crappies. The Crappie bite has been best in 30 plus feet, look for deep holes with trees nearby and 26-28 feet on rock bars, reefs, shoals and humps for Walleyes. Tungsten jigs #6 or #8 have been best for Crappies with red or pink plastics and a wax worm, spring bobbers and electronics are recommended. Buckshots, flyers, flutter spoons, and rippin raps have been successful for Walleyes   With the warmer temps and rain we have recently experienced most of the snow has melted and we are left with water on top of the ice. For snowmobiles it is recommended to have scratchers to prevent overheating. We still have good ice with 24 plus inches and the roads are still good, the approaches are a little rough and sloppy but manageable. With the cold weather coming things should firm up quickly. Check with resorts and guides for up to date ice conditions.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Professional Fishing Guide, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers.   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011
    • Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      What do you all run for fishing line in the winter walleye fishing? I've been running fire line on a couple of reels usually 6-10lb line because I get sick of having fish snap my line. I've always had success with this line during early ice, but I am looking to go to a lighter line in hopes of catching more fish this time of year. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if switching line will help but I'm willing to try it, the last couple of weekends have been really really slow. 
      Adapt or accept mid winter blues?? 

• Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      Anyone been out on lake parley in st.boni, and found any walleyes? I've been sticking to o'dowd for the most part this year with little luck. Parley has been a good producer for me walleye wise, just curious if anyone has been out and found any eyes? 
    • Spearing Machine
      I figured I would start up a new thread for us to use for the winter now that things are starting to set up and guys may be starting to creep out on the bays and smaller water.   I did some more poking around on Pike Bay this morning and I don't have anything much new to report. We've got less than an inch of fluffy snow on the ice and things healed up after the warm front this week. I worked my way from shore out into the middle of the bay and ice was relatively uniform between 5.25 and 5.5 inches of nice clear ice. Earlier this week I checked all landings on the Tower end and everything was iced up except for open water way out in Big Bay appearing to mostly be all West of Birch/Ely islands. Not sure if all the recent strong winds from North and South have changed that status though. I'm still sticking with my original guess of December 2 for my first trip off McKinley on 5 inches.   Good luck this winter to all and Be Safe!
    • monstermoose78
      Bummer 
    • eyeguy 54
        click below to check different areas. there are maps to click on also.  just scroll to find. pretty neat tool.    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwdcheck/index.html
    • ANYFISH2
    • Rancid Crabtree
      extended forecasts look good up north. We won't have fish-able ice in the metro until at least the 2nd weed in December assuming no dramatic temp changes. The big Expo is Dec1-3 but temps look promising ~1.5hrs north. I wonder if the ability to go fishing might impact the amount of traffic at the show!
    • Kettle
      There's preliminary testing then if flagged it gets shipped to a lab I believe in CO to verify the results.
    • Chill62
      10 day forecast doesn't show anything with low temps below 15 degrees.  It might make ice but it wont be making it necessarily fast.
    • Nix769
      Thanksgiving would be nice...but first week of December still works!   Rogers on Red is already allowing wheelers and sleds...no side by sides yet.
    • leech~~
    • Rick
      A 30-foot-tall white spruce, selected as the state’s official Christmas tree, was cut down today in the General C.C. Andrews State Forest, near Willow River.  The tree will be set up at the governor’s residence, 1006 Summit Ave., St. Paul, around 9 a.m., Monday, Nov. 20. The tree will be lit Monday, Nov. 27. DNR staff and the Conservation Corps of Minnesota cut the tree on the Friday before Thanksgiving each year from one of 59 state forests. However, the search for just the right tree begins months before. DNR foresters keep an eye out for a tall tree that’s nicely shaped and well filled out. It also needs to be in a location where it will not be damaged when dropped and then easily pulled out and loaded onto a trailer. Minnesota’s state forests provide clean air and water, recreational opportunities, wildlife habitat, timber and special forest products. This year, small businesses are making 150,000 wreaths with balsam boughs harvested from state forest lands. The estimated annual sales for Minnesota companies producing holiday wreaths exceed $23 million and Minnesota’s public lands support a large share of this economic activity. Each holiday season, half a million Christmas trees are harvested from private tree farms in Minnesota, contributing about $30 million to the state’s economy. For each tree harvested, one to three trees are planted. Real Christmas trees store carbon during their lifespan. They can be chipped for mulch when the season is over, making them an environmentally friendly choice.
      More information and details on viewing the tree is on the state Christmas tree page. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.