• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake East camping trip over the 4th

Just looking for general advice...

Taking our grandson on his 1st Rainy Lake boat camping trip, 7/01-7/05. We'll be near Kempton Entrance on the east side. I've been here many times before, but never over the 4th. Plan to target all species, but want 'eyes for supper. Are the walleyes on the reefs yet or still transitioning? Depths? Leeches or minnows? Bass/pike still in shallows? Main goal is to give him some opportunities for some fish.

Thanks

'Pout

I have not been on Rainy much as of late. On June 12, I got 75 walleyes in about 6-8 FOW. On. June 15 (Sanctuary opener) I hit Stangi for several hours and only got four fish. June 17, got 20 fish in about five hours - mostly walleyes on a weed edge in about 8 feet of water. Many on jig with Lunker CIty trailers. Also some good ones on a feather jig. Bass were few and far between. Plus some pike but nothing huge. Biggest walleyes 24-25". Bass 18", pike 29". View my fishing report to see videos of lures that were working.

I did mark lots of fish in deeper water but they were dink walleyes so I did not fish them for long.The dinks are actually harder to catch on lures than bigger ones. They respond better to live bait which I don't use.

Any new info on locations and bait preferences? Depths? Reefs? Minnows, worms or leeches?

Heading up Saturday.

Thanks

Only info I've seen is off outdoor news today:

A jig and minnow or spinner and leech is producing walleyes in 15 feet around the islands and in most smaller bays. You’ll find smallmouth bass and a few crappies in these areas as well. You’ll also find walleyes below the dam at International Falls and downstream of the Little Fork River on the Rainy River. Smallmouth bass reports have been strong on the river from the dam to the golf course.

I am headed up tomorrow camping 4 miles out of kettle falls channel. Been going around the 4th for 4 or 5 years, fish tend to be scattered as they start to make their way to the reefs.  Good luck.

Thanks TKM. Same to you. Looks like we are in for some great weather!