• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

16 ft boat on Mille Lacs????

icepike 1

Planning on fishing Mille Lacs for the first time with a 16 foot boat 25 horse Johnson. Little hesitant don't exactly want to sink the boat:eek:   have a buddy that's fish Mille Lacs quite often he wants to be up there early tomorrow morning. He's saying the wind should be around 11 miles an hour and with a drift sock we will be just fine. Anybody have any Insight on that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh and almost forgot to mention the boat seems a little heavy on the front end that's the main reason I am slightly concerned about it. 

I would look at the wind direction and choose what side of the lake you are fishing from that.

16 foot deep V should be fine there was a time when that is what everyone had out there

If you can handle the boat well I don't see a problem. I am sure there will be some that disagree with me but I personally don't see a problem.

Yes a bigger boat will be nicer and handle better and you may be able to fish better with more control.  But I don't see you sinking the boat.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've fished weekly since opener in my 14 foot with a 15 hp motor.  I am meticulous with my outboard so I trust it.  Like Zach says fish the calm side.  Winds out of the northwest tomorrow so fish the northwest side.  On a calm day with a good forecast (winds less than 6mph) I will even venture out to some of the flats that are within a mile and a half off shore.  There was a day two weeks ago winds out of the east at 8 mph, I fished the east side all the way from the northern sand to Big point.  Its doable, be cautious still, wear a life jacket and your motor tether.

Kettle   

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies. Will be heading out there early morning tomorrow out of the West.  this will be my first time but my buddies put a lot hours out they're in the past. Thanks again for the replies 

The drift sock is a must if you ever have motor issues. It will keep your bow pointed into the wind and prevent your boat from getting swamped in big waves. 

Simply hook your sock to the front tow eye in case of an emergency. 

I agree with with what others have said. You'll know when it's too rough. Just don't be a tough guy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Good pretty good. Went out from the northwest side I think Garrison. Made our way to eight mile was able to go full-throttle the majority of the way but when the waves got too big has lower down. My buddy went looking for a drift sock but couldn't find one so we used a five-gallon bucket which work fairly well glad we had at least that. Well we are drifting it was perfectly fine but a pain in the butt trying to motor back up through the big waves. Then after some time sitting out there I had enough of sitting on those big waves and told my buddy that we needed to get closer to shore. The right back was very slow going and wet. Started to get a little concerned when my bilge pump stopped working and the back of my boat started to fill up especially when I was finally able to give it more throttle man the back of the boat was full of water but we made it back I got a new bilge pump and everything was all good quite the experience but I'll be back there again with my boat. And good thing we had back when we did there was barely any gas left in the tank. :eek:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.