• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thx vnp 4 messing up a good thing!!!!!!!

The fact that ppl have to reserve a campsite is absolute BS. The only thing the park accomplished by making ppl reserve campsites is lowering the amount of ppl who visit the park.

Edited by Wanderer
Don't need the profanity to make your point.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Sorry I had to edit your title.  I've been hearing some people are upset about the change.  But I also heard there were some positives about it too.  I can't say anything one way or the other since I'm not affected.

I apologize for my word choice. I'm from chisholm n most of my camping trips growing up were decided after work on Friday n we can't do that now. The only positives that have come from the reservation system is ppl who have never been 2 the park (5%) now don't have 2 worry about a spot n the fishing guides don't have 2 worry about finding a place 4 shore lunch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup!  I can see how that would be annoying! 

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota though.  Glad to see your posts. :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry you feel this way. I was not happy at all for the new system at 1st. Now I have to say after using this for a couple years I feel it is the only way to make it fair. I drive for the south side of the TC area and before the new system I HATED that I had to travel a LONG ways to find a campsite. You live close and that is fine for you but there are lots of us that travel a long ways and the last thing I near to worry about is if I will have a place to stay when I got up there. As for you thinking less people show up is off for I have seen WAY more people then I did in the past. (This will be my 13th+ year coming up to God's country to enjoy it and knowing my spot will be waiting makes my 6 hour drive A LOT easier to do.) My $.02

• Thumbs Up 4

I concur with Drail1313, My family and I have been coming up there for 15 years and I like the fact that I can be assured that we have a place to lay our heads ahead of time.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely have 2 disagree with with u 2. I understand the drive n the worry but if you've fished the csn chain for 10+ years there shouldn't be a worry 2 find a campsite cause you've driven past plenty of them. Also we're in the same boat regardless of the travel distance to fine a campsite. Yes it is nice 2 have a guaranteed spot but since they went 2 paid 2 camp regulation they have taken out a number of campsites so it limits options. ALSO U R WAY WRONG ON SAYING MORE PPL R AT THE PARK NOW. I went last Saturday  (day before father's day) n we seen like 4 or 5 more boats than canoes. It's nice for ppl who don't know the csn chain but it's terrible for the economy.

Fyi. First time I went fishing on the chain I went lake trout fishing on David......... I was 6 weeks old ......... I'm 32 now..... my dad's been fishing the csn chain for 65+ years 

P.s. love how there's less pressure=better fishing.

OK so day before father's day we had terrible weather. 1st spot was in 14 ft of current n we caught 4 eyes. Did c a sturgeon role but waste of time other than that. Next spot 6 eyes still a wasted time cause of the weather but the old man did caught a 20 in so it wasn't all that bad. But once the weather allowed we catch  26 eyes n in 29 ft of water n one was 24 in.

Now that u mention it they r both darker than normal. Big one was on namakan "small" one sand point.

The fish we get on Kab are normally a lot lighter than those we catch on Namakan. Makes it easier to tell when my buddies are lying to me about where they caught 'em :0)

Edited by Satchmo

Interesting never really pay much attention to color just size but could make sense cause there "different" lakes. From my experience the older fish dont have that good of color. Caught this one on opener on sand. If I remember I'll take a pic of r limit we'll get on Sunday at namakan.

Screenshot_20170702-021655_1498980797098.png

Last Sunday we ended up fishing from 2_8 pm kept 3 limits threw back 21 eyes. Caught r eyes from 25_33 ft on namakan. Didn't try shallower than 22ft. Almost caught a 34in plus pike on a 10 in eye by accident. But I tried 2 net it myself n it didn't work out. Only saw 3 boats on the way back 2 the landing from namakan 2 crane at 8pm. Thx voyageurs national park for the lack of ppl. Heading up 2 namakan again on July 8.

• 7 months later...

I really like the reservation system. Full disclosure though I have trouble dealing with uncertainty. I tend to be a planner and really like knowing where I’ll be camping ahead of time. Just one persons opinion. On the topic of dark walleye here is the darkest one I’ve ever caught. It is out of Namakan and I completely agree with Satchmo the ones on Kab are lighter. 

15AFDB08-A4DC-4B8A-86D1-6A4838368B36.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t have any problem with people stopping at a site I have reserved ahead of time for a shore lunch. Not even sure if reserving a campsite means I have dibs on the shoreline in that space anyway. That said, I can see how that could lead to trouble, but simply asking could go a long way. Share and share alike, so offer a fillet, and make some friends?  Ever considered it, or is that off limits?

Edited by Cpt Beefcheeks
  • Thumbs Up 2

We only fish crane sand n namakan. The only thing I pay attention 2 is length so maybe this year I may pay attention 2 color, doubtul. The fact u have a reservd campsite is the only benefit in my opinion. But what r u gonna do when u get 2 ur campsite an hour before dark n someone is already set up, pray this never happens 2 anyone. If my memory serves me checkout is noon n checkin is 3pm. But yes don't be hostile about these 3 hours of limbo. we r all humans n maybe someone may give u some adive.

• 1 month later...

Don't mean to pick a scab here, but the mods have asked for more engagement from members, so I'm trying.

I've never been up to VNP, but am looking at camping on KAB in early June. Would be heading up from the Twin Cities. Neither my buddy or I have been up there before, and we would not be going if we didn't know ahead of time we had a campsite reserved.  Without that assurance we would just stay at one of our families cabins in the Brainerd Lakes area instead.

• 1 month later...

Obviously we see the reservation system in 2 different ways here.  It has been on for several years and I feel it is offer incentives for a different client then years past.  For some it works, others are annoyed by the fees, closures, and complication of the process.

I owned and operated a kayaking/canoeing outfitter out of Kab for 10 years.  The beauty of the area, and the amenities in this sites is truly amazing if you've never been!  If you have camped on these islands, you will try to come back!  My frustration with Reservation System is that it is 100% online, no visitor center seems to help or be able to handle any reservation.  Also, the $10 fee system to simply reserve a campsite is ridiculous...years of free campsites, and camping on any area with a stone fire ring is simply changed to availability only, and a system that likely gives the National Park a small percentage of the revenue generated, profit is some online e-commerce site with its owners living in California or something. 

Reservations are fairly full, but like one person indicated above usage is down...that is due to reserving this sites and not showing up due to in climate weather, or plans that change...there needs to be a better method that would keep the funding or $$$ at Voyageurs, or through the area.  Also, updating cancellations and availability on a day to day basis!

Here is the cancellation policy:

Cancellation Fee and Policy

The $10.00 fee for your Voyageurs National Park permit reservation is non-refundable.

If you cancel your reservation more than 14 days prior to your arrival date, you will be charged a $10.00 fee.

If you cancel your reservation within 14 days prior to your arrival date, you will be charged a $10.00 fee plus you will forfeit the first night's use fee.

If you cancel a one night reservation within 14 days of your arrival date, you will not receive a refund.

We are lucky to have a cabin in the area...but we still love to camp on the islands and give our kids that experience.  That $10 fee kills me...so for me to reserve an overnight, family of 4, we are $20/night + $10 using the reservation site fee...$30.  And again, if this $ is taken or given back to Voyageurs...I have no problem with this, but I'm guessing they have a very small return on the income derived from the reservation system.

Like Kettle Falls Hotel, maybe a concession run by a business would work at monitoring and reserving the campsites better.  I see the appeal for travelers coming from long distances for multiple days at a time, but local or near by residents that would use the sites if available for an overnight or weekend outing seem to be over-charged, and sites not updated with the last minute cancelations is frustrating.

Just my thoughts on the subject.  Understand the need due to that resources involved, but there needs to be a better method of handling reservations

Here is a good article on the "Business Aspect" of For Fun and for Profit:  The Business of Federal Technology

Wade Watson

"Kab Kid"

www.kabfishing.com

• Thumbs Up 1

The reservation system was designed and now maintained by a third party technology company.  They do not operate for free so charging a fee per reservation is not an outrageous concept and frankly the $10 is probably a reasonable amount given the relatively low volume of reservations that are made each year.  Another example:  The State of MN charges a 3% surcharge for all on-line fishing and hunting purchases and they sell hundreds of thousands of licenses that cost tens of millions each year.  Its a common model. I like that it is transparency.  They could just build the $10 into the camping fee and there would be no visibility to the costs associated with the reservation.

In my opinion the user and reservation fees associated with camping in Voyageurs are small compared to the overall cost of a camping trip for most camping parties when you factor in gas, food, bait, beverages, licenses, especially when you amortize the costs over a number of nights and a number of campers.  The cost per camper per day is very small and I consider it a bargain for what they experience is like. 

The cancellation fees are included to deter bad and inconsiderate behavior and also seem reasonable.

Edited by Walleye Guy