• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need help finding walleye on Vermillion

We are from Indiana (land of terrible eye fishing). Staying in a cabin in the oak narrows June 3-10.  This is our fourth year fishing the big V, but have always fished the westside.  Never had great walleye fishing yet.  We normally stay father on the westside like around wolf Bay or Norwegian, so we wanted to find a cabin closer to the Eastside.  Figured the narrows would be closer so we can fish spots on the west side that we've already learned and also venture to the east where I've heard the walleye fishing is better for keeper walleyes.  I'm looking for any tips or locations to try.  Maybe someone could help us out.  It would be much appreciated.  Thank you

Hello Muzzy,

Lots of good spots close to Oak Narrows. I will let the experts pipe in, but I've been doing well in 20-30 feet of water in the Frazer / Smarts Bay area. I would trust your sonar and find spots off reefs and follow down to 20-30 feet. Either jig or Lindy has been working for me with a Rainbow minnow 

Welcome to our Forum Muzzy!  You may want to consider hiring a guide for a day or even 1/2 day to start your trip.  They can give you a lot of good information that will help you put fish in the boat for the rest of your trip. Cliff & Casey are regular contributors here and members of the Lake Vermilion Guides League.  https://lakevermilionguidesleague.com/

Good Luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Frazer Bay is as far as I venture West but that bay can be very good at times.

I prefer Lindy Rigs with a 5' leader,#2 or a #4 hook, red or green bead by the hook, and a 3/4 oz. sinker.

That time of the summer minnows and leeches work best but do not be afraid to try 1/2 crawler on this rig!

Like PSU said, look with your electronics for the fish, then fish for them! 12" to 32" depths.

Cliff

Yes. Casey did sell his new boat and retire from guiding, at least for a while. He has been having serious shoulder and neck problems that have interfered with his guiding abilities.

Hope that he gets this problem remedied soon and is able to return to guiding!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Nobody needs that kind of grief.  I hope he's able to overcome that in short order.

I heard today that he has a bad rotater cup and is scheduled for surgery.

Cliff

Was the bad rotator cup cause from catching to many big fish?If that's the case I'll take one for the team

I don't know what's wrong yet but I'm guessing it's not good. More pictures and drs in coming weeks.

Edited by Casey Sunsdahl
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sorry to hear that Casey. You've been through enough after the car accident.  I hope you heal quickly!

Still a minnow bite huh?  Mainly mud 15-20 feet seems to be the consensus, does not sound like they have migrated out to the humps in big bay.  Even though I am more of a bass fisherman up with guys that like to walleye fish I have got a game plan.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would bring leeches too its starting to turn, and ill confirm they have not made their way our to mid lake structure quite yet. 

I don't have much to add as I have not been up fishing since Memorial weekend.  I am going to be up this weekend with a couple of my kids so daddy day care will be fishing the simplest way a man can get bit with a 2 and 5 year old in the boat.  I will be able to give a report this weekend.  I would add be sure to not overlook the shallow bite on windy and even more importantly cloudy days.  Looking back at Journal entries I have caught some really nice fish in under 10 fow this time of year.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished big bay for 2 hrs last Sunday just before noon. Caught 10 eyes on lindy and leeches. 8 of which were slot fish, 21-24". 20 to 30fow. Kept two 15inchers. Not many fish to filet but sure had a lot of fun.

• Thumbs Up 4