• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys. My wife and I are coming up June 10th for a week of bass and pike fishing. Staying in Niles Bay area. Had a few more questions, hoping for some insight from some locals/regulars.

I was wondering ab ou how bad the bugs usually are in mid June, mosquitos,  biting flies and no see ums. Hoping when are are out in the boat fishing they will pretty much leave us alone.

I mentioned going to Vermilion on a thread on our local Ohio fishing forum. A few guys commented that it was a very busy lake with lots of jet ski and tubers. I was thinking if I wanted a more remote feel for a day maybe renting a boat and taking the portage to Trout Lake. I know our 40 hp is too big. I was also thinking of trying the river below the dam launching on 8 mile creek. Saw that on an episode of Ultimate Fishing Adventures. I was wondering if that area is limited to 25 hp motors. What would be the pros and cons of each spot?

I know V is tannic stained. We use pretty much braid on all our poles. Do you braid users feel you need a flouro leader when  bass fishing. Here in Ohio our water is rarely clear enough to worry about that.

One last thing what are the go to colors for tubes and senkos for bass?

Thanks for any help info you can give. 

Mr. Basskisser

I do not fish bass very often but have had good luck using straight braided line for bass and walleye.

Very few bugs out on the water! Shore bugs usually only out in the late evenings.

Very few jet skis and water skiers on most of Vermilion most of the time.

Weekend Holidays can see a lot of traffic.

Some one else will surely answer your bass bait questions !

Tons of rusty crayfish in the East end that the bass love!

Cliff

Boat traffic isn't all that bad, there's a million places to escape it on that lake anyway. Bugs are usually pretty bad that time of year, and we've had a pretty wet spring so far also. But they're not an issue out on the water. You can launch at a different access each day, and it'll be like being on a completely different lake.

I'm not a big bass chaser, but last year I started tossing senkos rigged wacky around rock piles and docks and did pretty well on Smallies.  Green Pumpkin color seemed to work the best.    Stay away from white bouys, they mark hazards..... Unless you are creeping up on them with your trolling motor to pitch senkos on top of the rock pile.  I'll be on Trout Lake June 7-10 so if you want to text me when you get up to Vermilion I can give you a report on how it went for us.   Lots of resorts on Vermilion rent 25 HP fishing boats.  

matt 612-868-1282

Edited by Wheres_Walter

I spend a lot of time in the early summer after bass. Always have used a fluorocarbon leader and for me the best color has been white. I use a grub or a variety of tubes. Rock piles or points/saddles off islands etc. Sometimes narrow channels also. As far as traffic, we are spoiled! Compared to other lakes there is very little traffic on Vermilion. If you go to the river there is no HP limit. Good luck.

Basskisser,

You will love the lake. Compared to other sizeable lakes in MN the traffic is much lower.  Plus Vermilion has so much shoreline with great bays everywhere.  I always have a rod rigged with a Rapala DT6 in red crawdad color and another set up with a fintech jig and tube in either a crawdad brown or green pumpkin.  The Rap works great if you want to cover water and just bounce it down a rocky shoreline.  The tube is perfect for throwing under docks or submerged rocks that your sonar points out.  Good luck and have fun.  There is some great bass fishing on Vermilion.

Bring:

#5 Shad Raps & 08 Xraps (Yellow Perch and Perch)

Green pumpkin Tubes

White 3.5" grubs

You'll have a blast...see you on the water, I'll be there the same time period.

~Tripp

Vermilion has excellent fishing for both bass species  

The east end has the best Smallmouth action and the west end has the best Largemouth action, however you can catch either on both sides of the lake.  For Smallmouth, rocks, docks, points, saddles, reeds, wood and the shoreline rubble are all very productive. Most of the green bass are found in or near the slop and the west end has the best of what they like the most. Spinnerbaits, any color as long as it's white, stick baits, cranks, topwaters, jigs, swim baits and soft plastics all work for Smallies. Jigs, topwaters(Frogs) plastics and a host of other stuff will catch the green bass.

Have a great time, the midweek traffic is very minimal.

"Ace" ;) 

"It's just fishing man"

One of my favorite smallmouth spots is just out from Grubins Marina and a bit south.  Sometimes, it's called the "triangle of death". When the wind is blowing correctly, you can pull up you motor and drift by all the rock piles.  Throw any of your favorites but keep the bait moving to avoid snags.  The fish are in there right now!

• Thumbs Up 2