• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This weekend I will be using slip bobbers at times and I started thinking about the bobber stops that I get.  Over the years I have probably bought every kind available, some work and some don't (that is, I constantly have to adjust them).  Yet, if I were to walk into a store right now to make a purchase, I have no idea if the brand I am about to buy are good or bad.  I obviously have not paid enough attention, probably because the first thing I usually do when replenishing my supplies is take them from the original packaging and put them into a small container for safe keeping.  And thus, I lose the association to the brand.

So, can anyone recommend a good bobber stop that does not constantly need checking?

Thanks!

The only bobber stop that I have found that do not need constant resetting are the plastic  'Dog Bone" shaped ones.

The big draw back with this style is that they do not cast through the rod eyes very well!

The string type stops work best for casting. They last longer if you use a lighter or match to melt the tips a little after trimming them to the length desired.

I have tried the little rubber bead type stops but do not like them either.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

I have tried those plastic ones and agree that they don't slip.

I like the rubber egg shaped ones, just be sure to wet your line when you are sliding it on. I'll protect the stop with a a small bead at times as well

I've always used the string type ones but they fray easy and seem to slide on that first guide if you get a decent size fish on. There not the best but I've never tried anything else.

I tie my own ones whenever I use a slip float. I tie a single uni knot onto my main line. I use Braided 10-20 lb line (whichever I have at the moment) onto my Mono main line. I wrap 6-8 times around my main line and it stays on pretty tight. If I use Braided as my main line, I use 8-10 lb Mono lines as the bobber stop. If I have extra beads laying around in my tackle I'll use it but if not I'll usually leave the tail end of the stopper a bit longer to stop the float. I always see those beads laying around where I go fishing too so I pick them up as extras. I stop buying bobber stoppers for years now.

Example of the stopper knot:

• Thumbs Up 2

The only issue I see with that is can you significantly move the line stopper after it's tied? Say like from 25-10 feet?

It has been an interesting turn that this discussion took.  When I posted, I was thinking specifically about string type bobber stops and how some types (of string) seem to hold better than others. 

Edited by BringAnExtension

I have tied my own also, and have found that waxed dental floss works rather well on different lines.     

Must be the wax that helps.  Dubro makes a kit for tying your own.

• Thumbs Up 1