• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rippin Raps?

Fishing Frenzy

Have seen these used a couple of times, but never have tried them. Thinking about buying a few. Has anybody had any luck fishing a rippin rap?

They work great, to feed pike. Lost everyone of them I have fished with. I use 30 pound power pro. I know a buddy who only fishes them on lakes that have low pike populations.

26 minutes ago, workin4bait said:

They work great, to feed pike. Lost everyone of them I have fished with. I use 30 pound power pro. I know a buddy who only fishes them on lakes that have low pike populations.

Get yourself some of that tieable wire and put about a foot of that on.   You can use a snap or tie directly to the bait.   On the other end you can tie directly to the line or use a swivel... 

Or use one of these....  They come in various lengths and tests.  

leader.jpg.d00b6aac9169aaae40f2c38b96af2dc1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

With a straight retrieve I have no problem with a leader, but the ripping  and the fall are the triggers with the Rippin-Rap and the wire is not doable in my opinion.

7 hours ago, workin4bait said:

With a straight retrieve I have no problem with a leader, but the ripping  and the fall are the triggers with the Rippin-Rap and the wire is not doable in my opinion.

The right wire is almost the same as the line.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Just about any crankbait is highly prone to getting ripped off by pike. Losing a half-dozen every season is a necessary evil. I'm not a big fan of wire leader when bass fishin with crankbaits; they deaden the action, even the thin, hand-tied wire ones.

That said, Rapala Rippin Raps are among the better lipless crankbaits on the market. As their name suggest, they shine when fished with a sharp lift/drop retrieve. In that sense, they're a bit of a specialty crankbait.

For a straighter, standard retrieve, try the Booyah One Knocker and Hard Knocker (formerly the popular Xcaliber XR series) or the Strike King Red Eye Shad. The Rippin Rap have such little drag in the water that they need to be fished really fast to keep them up in the water column.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used a jigging rap this weekend on opener and caught a 19" walleye and about 8 northerns and a slob large mouth.  I lost one rap but that was to a bull rush and not a fish.  I like to fish them by casting them and popping them off the bottom and letting drop and repeating till back.  I use  bright colored braid with a 5' leader or 8lb vanish or 10lb mono.  if the line jumps set the hook!  Fun way to fish when you get sick of lindy rigging.