Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Cliff Wagenbach

Lake Vermilion 2017 open water fishing reports and related information.

DLD24

Well the weather was pretty crappy but the fish were biting...Had to sort through but kept some for dinner. Caught a variety today, eyes,jumbos,crappie and a few smallies... rigging on or next to rocks worked best for us.

20171021_163343.jpg

• Like 3

redlabguy

Good day! 

Keep the reports coming! We’re islanders and had to pull out a week ago. On my last day out by myself I boated a thick 28” walleye to close my season. We brought filets Home so my old fisherman, 95 year old dad could enjoy a good fry,  I still enjoy reading about the lake so keep reporting.

Thanks,

Dick

• Like 4

Cliff Wagenbach

I pulled my boat for the winter today. Sure hated to have to do that, but have tons of stuff to do to get ready for the fall, winter stuff!

Cliff

• Sad 3

PSU

We are done as of Saturday as well. Was fishing in 35 feet in Smarts Friday and had a monster, monster fish on. Thought I was snagged for a few minutes, but then felt the wiggling. Fought if for probably five - ten minutes (drag flying out) and then up came an eight inch walleye. Never saw the monster, but guessing it was massive fish, perhaps a muskie? Anyone else ever have this happen?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

muskie-mike

Caught an 18 inch walleye on a crank bait and a 48" muskie grabbed it..Got it up to the boat a few times but rolled and cut my line,the walleye was dead and I had it for supper...got 2 muskies on walleyes,1 on sunfish and 1 on a crappie..

Darrell Larson
21 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

I pulled my boat for the winter today. Sure hated to have to do that, but have tons of stuff to do to get ready for the fall, winter stuff!

Cliff

Sorry to hear that Clifford, I would always look to see if you were out or not, kind of strange when I drove by today and the lift cover was off and the boat was missing. 

• Sad 1

Cliff Wagenbach

I once had a big muskie hit a 26 inch walleye and rip the guts wide open! Had to release that fish because it was not quite a legal fish! The eagle ate well though!

Cliff

• Like 1

Fish Head

Coming up this weekend with a friend of mine, even though the weather looks terrible. Any advice for how to catch them when mother nature brings the hammer down?  Highs in the mid 30's, lows in the low 20's.  

On Friday I had a muskie in the upper 40s hit a 19 1/2" walleye.  As usual she let go at boatside, but it was fun while it lasted. 

Cliff Wagenbach

F.H.,

Fish deep and slow with lindys or jigs with minnows. Sometimes smaller minnows will work best at other times large suckers or shiners will get more hits.

Cliff

• Like 1

Fish Head

Thanks Cliff.  Looking at the Forecast, I may be the only boat on the water.  

• Haha 1

LBerquist

Nope, you wont. Anyone know if the dock is still out at hoodoo?

Darrell Larson
22 hours ago, LBerquist said:

Nope, you wont. Anyone know if the dock is still out at hoodoo?

If no one responds about the dock at HooDoo, Fortune Bay always leaves their docks in, this time of year the Marina is closed but the landing is available. 

Spearing Machine

The dock is out at Hoodoo Pt. Put on your rubbers or waders and you'll be fine.

Captain Acorn

Ice season is on its way first day of ice fishing will be?????? 

Spearing Machine

At least a couple weeks yet (for Big Bay area). Temps moderating into next week. Couple more cool nights this week then things won't be changing much. I'll go with first week of December (2nd) to safely walk out from McKinley park on 5 inches. 

• Like 1

Cliff Wagenbach

I think that the first or second week in Dec. is the probable first safe walking ice on most of the lake also.

A few shallow bays may be a little sooner though.

Cliff

SkunkedAgain

The report that I got was 4" of clear ice in Black Bay as of yesterday. Some of the other small bays are likely to be similarly frozen but the main basins will surely take a while longer.

• Like 1

JerkinLips

Had a little spare time on November 3 to go fishing before deer season.  I fished for a couple of hours, and all I got was this 22" walleye with growths all over.  I had never seen one like this before, and the fish did swim away healthily.

Water temp on that day was 33°F and I noticed ice crystals on the surface when I returned to my boat house so I decided to pull the boat/motor out for the season.  Lucky I did because I didn't shoot my buck until November 10th, and the weather was very cold that week.

Looking forward to ice fishing now.  Hopefully on November 24th or 29th, but the weather will dictate what is safe.

Walleye Growth.JPG