• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What presentation to use on opener?

AlwaysFishing23

So planning on trying a small lake on opener that doesn't get much traffic on opener. I've fished all my life and have NEVER fished opener. So I want to get a walleye or two the lake I'm going to try is a "fishbowl" type lake with a max depth of 20-25 FOW. I'm going to try bass fishing while I'm out there and do very well on this lake in the past. My question is how do I approach these walleyes from a presentation standpoint? Yes there's eyes in this lake and they grow big. It's a gradual drop around the whole lake and then a flat 20-22 feet around the middle. So do I troll spinners? Bobber fish? Troll raps what? I've fished walleyes quite often so I'm not new but just don't know how to approach this. I'll be taking the yak this time. Thanks for your help.

Classic for spring is jig and minnow.   New thing is jigging raps or other similar baits.  

There are some good articles and videos about using the jigging raps.  That might be a thing since it lets you cover some water and try different depths.  

Thanks I never thought of that figured it was more of a fall presentation but I guess it would do just as well in the spring. I've got plenty of jiggin raps and rippin raps in different colors and sizes so it might not be a bad thing to try. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Once I find structure that might hold fish its a Jig and a minnow for sure.  I might use a spinner at slow troll while searching or keep with the jig.  On a lake that seems to be just a bowl there is always something on the bottom that will attract eyes. Could be a few rocks, weed edge, or transition of bottom makeup.  Then ask where are the minnows and warm water.  Someone asked me years ago if I had to pick one lure or presentation what would it be.  My answer was a jig and it still is. 

Thanks ST! I know of a spot out there that is exactly what you mentioned. Appreatiate the help hopefully get out sometime saterday after a little bass fishing.