Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BriGuy88

Humminbird AutoChart Live/Helix upgrade

6 posts in this topic

I currently have an 859 DI/GPS combo and have been thinking about getting the AutoChart Live software and a Zero Lines card to get more detailed contours of some of the smaller less-detailed lakes I fish.  Can those who have experience with the technology comment on how useful it has been and do you feel it is worth the investment?  The other thought I have is to upgrade to a 2nd Gen Helix 7 GPS unit which has the AutoChart Live capability built in.  Would there be a noticeable change in performance between the 859 and a Helix 7 that would warrant an upgrade?  Appreciate any insight from those who've used either or both.

Thanks!

Can you get side imaging as part of the upgrade?   And what is the relative cost of the two approaches?  

I went with a Garmin CHIRP 93SV and have been mapping out area lakes with the equivalent Garmin mapping feature, Quickdraw.  I've been amazed by the structures I'm finding that aren't any of the stock Navionics, LakeVu, and Insight maps.  Can't wait for opener.  

11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Can you get side imaging as part of the upgrade?   And what is the relative cost of the two approaches?  

I could get SI with a new unit, but then I'd have to rig a different transducer and sticking with only the DI unit will allow for a quick swap since the Helix 7 can use the same transducer I already have rigged up.  As far as the cost goes, AutoChart with a zero lines card can be had for about $200 and the Gen2 Helix 7 with DI and AutoChart built in can be had for about $500.  I just don't know if the Helix 7 is a better unit than the 859 I currently have to warrant spending the extra coin.

Tough decision for sure.   The 859 have any resale value?  

I would actually keep the 859 and mount that at the bow so no worry about resale.