Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

TNtoMN_HuntFish

First MN gobbler, first double beard

10 posts in this topic

Sweet!  Welcome to the forum. :)

THUMB.jpg

18 minutes ago, TNtoMN_HuntFish said:

Well what a way to break into Minnesota turkey hunting, I got my first double beard! 

I scouted my butt off on some public land and found a lot of birds. It took about an hour after flydown and this guy came home. 

I smoked one breast on a weber kettle with hickory. The other was made into schitzel. The legs and thighs (STOP WASTING THESE) were braised and used to make a massive pot of soup. Heart and liver were used for a classic liver and onions dish. 

Way to go on the double beard!....Scouting pays off

I like the way you cook up the bird....been chirping to other hunters to pluck wild birds, use legs/thighs, hearts, liver etc. Posted a link below that I use for legs/thighs....can try it on your next bird!

http://honest-food.net/turkey-carnitas/

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, CaughtABuzz said:

Way to go on the double beard!....Scouting pays off

I like the way you cook up the bird....been chirping to other hunters to pluck wild birds, use legs/thighs, hearts, liver etc. Posted a link below that I use for legs/thighs....can try it on your next bird!

http://honest-food.net/turkey-carnitas/

I've used that recipe on canada goose legs and it was awesome! 

I started to pluck this one but I got a bit too aggressive and ripped off too much skin to be able to roast it so I got the knife out and got everything I wanted. 

Edited by TNtoMN_HuntFish
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, TNtoMN_HuntFish said:

I've used that recipe on canada goose legs and it was awesome! 

I started to pluck this one but I got a bit too aggressive and ripped off too much skin to be able to roast it so I got the knife out and got everything I wanted. 

Awesome way for goose as well I bet.....not sure how close you follow his work but his duck, duck, goose and buck, buck, moose cook books are the best out there for wild game. He is currently working on a small game book to follow the track

Great turkey!!

Awesome!

Nice job! Glad you were able to connect on one! And on public land too! Glad the scouting paid off I was just up there the week before shed hunting with my niece didn't find one! She still had fun though I showed her a rub and after that she found 4 more I didn't even see must be because she is eye level with them!

Anyway hope you have as good luck deer hunting there as well! 

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 0:48 AM, ZachD said:

Nice job! Glad you were able to connect on one! And on public land too! Glad the scouting paid off I was just up there the week before shed hunting with my niece didn't find one! She still had fun though I showed her a rub and after that she found 4 more I didn't even see must be because she is eye level with them!

Anyway hope you have as good luck deer hunting there as well! 

Thanks man, I am really looking forward to deer season now that I'm going to bow hunt. 

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM, CaughtABuzz said:

Awesome way for goose as well I bet.....not sure how close you follow his work but his duck, duck, goose and buck, buck, moose cook books are the best out there for wild game. He is currently working on a small game book to follow the track

I have his duck duck goose book and its great. I commonly pluck ducks and geese so i can use that delicious fat. 

In that book he had a recipe for duck wing soup and I changed it slightly and made a giant pot of soup with the turkey legs and thighs. It was delicious! 

20170416_194246.jpg