• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Yak Time

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

dried the phone out, it started up. found the owner.  Dandy phone and a lucky guy. LG Android almost brand new. just lost it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Fun  I was out sat afternoon by Cushing.  Could not find any fish shallow deep or anywhere..LOL  But nice to be in the boat!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2017 at 10:14 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

dried the phone out, it started up. found the owner.  Dandy phone and a lucky guy. LG Android almost brand new. just lost it.

nice work, may the fishing gods bring you some good fishing karma. props to you, I bet the owner was stoked.

• Thumbs Up 3

you guys are nuts to fish in  a yak in cold water.    What happens when you fall in as I would.

Don

I've never flipped a kayak ever and I've been kayaking for basically my whole life. Once you do if for long enough it's something you don't have to think about. Like being on a boat will it sink? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Probably not. I've been in some pretty big waves (2-3 feet) and still very stable. Very realistic question. It's definetly a balance thing more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sitting out in the yak as I type this...lol. came close last yr on the river...  But like Always fishing said, very stable. Not like a canoe

• Thumbs Up 4

good day today.  first lake I hit it was skunk city. hit a few different spots and zip. so headed to spot 2 and much better. Not lots of fish but some nice fish. gills up to 9 and crappies up to 11. still lovin the gulp alive waxie in a jig. 

411a.jpg

411b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

still on the hunt for the 10. 

412a.jpg

412b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

tough day today but managed a few nice fish. too calm to clear to sunny.... who knows. 

417a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Alright guys... I can't take it anymore. I played around with the idea of getting a yak last summer... Think I'm going to pull the trigger here on one for this year. Dicks has a good sale going right now. Do you have tips for essentials to buy that make life a lot easier? Been looking at a trolly system for my anchor and building a PVC ourrigger system that fits into the built in rod holders... 

Sick of fishing from the shore, want to go chase some crappies and be able to bass fish this summer. Here's the one I'm looking to get (https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/future-beach-discovery-104-sit-on-top-angler-kayak-16fbeudscvrynglrkpsk/16fbeudscvrynglrkpsk?&color=Blue) it's pretty bare-bones but I'm a big DIYer and love working on stuff like that. So what do I need to know before I invest?!

Thanks in advance!

• Thumbs Up 2

I run a trolley on the left side and have an extra anchor to drop over the right side. Very frustrating when I only used one.  The wind would move me all over the place. Pop over and look at it if you want. It can be made very inexpensive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I run a trolley on the left side and have an extra anchor to drop over the right side. Very frustrating when I only used one.  The wind would move me all over the place. Pop over and look at it if you want. It can be made very inexpensive. 

I just might have to come check out your setup once I get my hands on a yak. Thanks! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, kunzi26 said:

Alright guys... I can't take it anymore. I played around with the idea of getting a yak last summer... Think I'm going to pull the trigger here on one for this year. Dicks has a good sale going right now. Do you have tips for essentials to buy that make life a lot easier? Been looking at a trolly system for my anchor and building a PVC ourrigger system that fits into the built in rod holders... 

Sick of fishing from the shore, want to go chase some crappies and be able to bass fish this summer. Here's the one I'm looking to get (https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/future-beach-discovery-104-sit-on-top-angler-kayak-16fbeudscvrynglrkpsk/16fbeudscvrynglrkpsk?&color=Blue) it's pretty bare-bones but I'm a big DIYer and love working on stuff like that. So what do I need to know before I invest?!

Thanks in advance!

check out the sun dolphin 10 foot sit in at walmart.  feet pegs are adjustable 

278 with paddle.  order online

dbdc2198-ce1c-4adf-9011-c941047fd974_1.14cd85382f10ba9a3610b8b1b2ed3aee.jpeg

10 hours ago, kunzi26 said:

Thanks in advance!

Good luck on the search. These fishing kayaks looks pretty cool. There's some excellent waters nearby that may be best explored by kayaks (or a jet boat), namely the Mississippi River in the two miles south of the dam by SCSU. I grew up wading down there, chasing those smallies. A kayak would have been so much nicer, especially with proper anchors so you could make multiple, patient casts to a spot without the current sweeping you away. I can think of about 10 spots among the Beaver Islands where one could slay 3-5lb bass from an anchored kayak.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a blast fighting smallies and have them jump almost eye level while in the yak. :) 

Rick and I found the motherload today!  Yowzer. Crappie city. 

421c.jpg

421b.jpg

421d.jpg

421e.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Might have been the most crappies I have ever gotten in one outing.... And threw every single one back to be caught again;)

20170421_111426.jpg

20170421_155308.jpg

20170421_162553.jpg

20170421_150016(0).jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

It will be a heck of a challenge to top yesturday for sure. Heres a few pics from today. No 12 inchers today but came close a few times. 

422a.jpg

422a1.jpg

422b.jpg

422c.jpg

422d.jpg

422e.jpg

422f.jpg

422g.jpg

paper mouth

422h.jpg

422i.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks fun Eyguy. As normal no time to get out but did just finish up cleaning and checking over the yak so maybe thats a sign. Haha.

With the wind being fairly strong today I opted to hit the back waters of Little Rock. Have done goid there in yrs past.... so I figured it would be worth a shot. Finding crappies was pretty easy, they were holding tight to the brush and downed trees. Finding crappies over 8inches was tough...lol.  I don't think I broke 9inches. But did manage one big carp. Guessing right around 30in, pulled me and the yak all over the lake before I got it boat side

20170423_113912.jpg

20170423_114003.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Unfortunately as close as I came to pulling the trigger I'm going to put it off until next year (might be getting my hands on a little boat later this year though). Buddy of mine has a canoe that we're going to rig up best we can and get out a few times. I'll be buying some decent waders instead and adventuring out that way into the river. 

Thanks for the advice, it's killing me that I can't get out on the water! House downpayment takes priority though... unfortunately. :cry:

• Thumbs Up 2

thats a good priority :) 

Looks like a nice fight rick! Fun when hook into the big ones in the yak. Like santa and his reindeer.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Looks like a nice fight rick! Fun when hook into the big ones in the yak. Like santa and his reindeer.

Was a heck of a fight...ul rod, 4lb test. I did likley look odd being pulled back and forth rather quickly:D

• Thumbs Up 1