• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Review on the K-drill

Rick G

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

you are the drillin king !:)

• Thumbs Up 1

What amoerage batteries do you have? I finally got my gearbox back from clam this week..... a little to late... I am so glad they used us for product testing and ended up screwing me out of going electric this year, I am selling it early next season and going with the k-drill

• Thumbs Up 1

Great review Rick G! I've always been all for Gas augers but it seems seems electric is better than I think it is. I could defiantly see myself making the move in the near future.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I am getting me some of the 9 amp hour ones

I love my 6 inch K Drill however the blades seem to dull faster to me once I figured it out. Happy as a clam. I do regret selling my power auger. I bought a 8 Eskimo power auger for when I go to Mille lacs. the K drill will work just fine but I liked having the 8 inch hole for eyes up there harder to turn there head in a six inch hole. I know you can drill 2 holes together but for me it just worked. Short story Rick G is right on I love my K drill. Would recommend to any one and it's so much lighter when runnin and gunnin.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are still the guys that argue up and down about electrics but they are getting fewer and fewer. They are all very strong people though,I wouldn't want get into a fight with anyone that drills 200 holes a day and carries around a 35# + auger ;)

Edited by Hawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like the electrics too but it will be a necessity for me to finally give up my gasser for good.  One tank on it can cut many, many holes.  Batteries are expensive so I don't plan on buying extras for those days I plan to explore.

I think it was mentioned on the forums before: With the mapping apps and gps we have available now, we probably all drill fewer holes over the season than we used to.  The problem I have though is I don't repeat locations many times over the winter. Heck, not even lakes that often.  I've been carrying the gas, electric and hand auger pretty much all winter.

I would say gas augers are still getting better. For example my solo engine always starts never leaks and emissions are very very low. I don't think I burned a half gallon of gas the whole winter and I drilled maybe 500 holes max still not a lot but pretty good for only using a cup or so of fuel an outing. Not saying electrics are bad but for me I just can't pull my self away from the convince of gas. Every winter I think I do give more and more respect to cordless drill or electric set ups. Well then also with this last winter we had a goo full 24 inches of ice for maybe 3 weeks this it starting melting fast

I also decided to take the plunge this year and get a K-drill towards the end of the season.  I went with the 8" model paired with a Milwaukee M18 Fuel with 5ah batteries.  I had the opportunity to try an Ion on the ice this year before deciding and for me, the K-drill setup offers more because of the ability to use the powerhead for other things throughout the year.  I was a little skeptical that the 8" model could be effectively run with the drill, but after this season, those doubts are gone. 

The true test was 3 weeks ago up by Cross Lake with 2 feet of good solid clear ice.  All I can say is WOW!  Fast, clean holes will be in my future for quite some time!  The 8" model will likely run the batteries down faster than a 6" model would, but for as many holes as I drill in an outing, I'll take the slight loss in number of holes for the trade off of a larger hole.  Plus, I have the option of getting a 9ah battery if I want to drill more. 

I used to be a die hard Strikemaster guy, but I'm now sold on Milwaukee red and K-drill orange!

Great review, and it IS a dang game changer, that thing is so light and it drills with ease. Rick let me use his up on Cass Lake ice and it ripped! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't say it any better than Rick did.  Light weight, ease of cutting, re-drilling old holes, it does it all.  18V brushless fuel, two 5ah batteries go a long ways for the average guy.  Highly recommended, plus you have the drill for the rest of your jobs around the house.  I went with the 6"

I sold my K drill and went back to my Nils. The slush in the hole doesn't matter because I just reverse the drill and push it back down the hole. K drill is lighter but much shorter than my Nils. The Nils is faster by a bit and for me it being taller is the big draw. Both are great. I like them better than the Ions.

• Thumbs Up 1