• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's your Trophy Fish Goal?

So I saw this question posed elsewhere, and thought it was a fun one to get people talking as we wait for open water season.

Which trophy fish do you have on Vermilion?  Which do you want the most?  And why?

A- 30" Walleye

B- 21" Smallie

C- 40" Pike

D- 50" Muskie

My goal is a 21"+ smallie.  I got a 20.5" last summer, which is 1/2" shy of Master Angler quality in Minnesota.  Why?  Because I can't get so close and not ultimately achieve the goal.  The 21" smallie on Vermilion is now my white whale.

• Thumbs Up 3

My trophy would be the walleye, mainly because it is what I target but I have to admit hooking a 21" small mouth would be a fun battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys, fun topic! Need to best these...

32" 12 lb eye

22 1/4 smallie

dinner plate sunnie

good luck everyone, love the north woods

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

30 inch walleye

40 inch pike

50 inch musky

11 inch gill already have Got one about 10 3/4. And large mouth I'm good with at about 24 inches around 6lb. Definlety well worth the wait when that monster comes to the surface. Nothing better!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

18 inch crappie

12 inch gill

24 inch large mouth

46 inch pike

34 inch walleye

24 inch smallie

58 inch musky

17 inch perch

60 inch lake trout

24 inch brook trout

36 inch rainbow

34 inch brown

36 inch splake

on Vermillion?? :)

Very high expectations. Especially that splake...36 inches would be 2.5 inches longer than what the state record is.

Edited by JBMasterAngler
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have been with in a inch on some of these and I know some are pushing it. Dream big and shoot for the stars 

46 inch pike in MN sort of a stretch as well, although I was "only" about 5 inches short on one last summer. (on vermilion)

Edited by delcecchi

I've got a 53" ski...41"pike and an accidental 22" smallie on V. I have caught a 31" eye but not on vermilion.  Id  like to get a 30 out of there.  

48 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

My goal is to fish Vermilion again someday. :)  I keep driving past it.

You got to stop by! One of the best fisheries as far as multi spices lakes in MN. The fish that come out of big V can be monsters. With that being said the scenery all over the lake is like none other. It's truly one of the most scenic lakes I've ever fished really makes you sit back and really enjoy what nature has to offer.:D

• Thumbs Up 3

Hello Tommy!

Good to have you back!

It will not be long before your cabin is accessible by boat again!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

I am embarrassed to say it, but after all these years (2004 bought property) my aim is to just beat my 26 inch walleye personal best......my goal is a 30 incher

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing about goals: They keep the fire in your belly to keep after it. 

A lot of people haven't cracked that 30 inch mark on a walleye - I'm one of em.  But I haven't been a die hard walleye guy so I can take some solace in that. ;)

29 is my longest but I've picked up a couple 28.5's (one was a 10#) and several more 27's in that area.  PSU, you're in as good a place as any to hit that 30!

On 3/23/2017 at 0:56 PM, Wheres_Walter said:

So I saw this question posed elsewhere, and thought it was a fun one to get people talking as we wait for open water season.

Which trophy fish do you have on Vermilion?  Which do you want the most?  And why?

A- 30" Walleye

B- 21" Smallie

C- 40" Pike

D- 50" Muskie

My goal is a 21"+ smallie.  I got a 20.5" last summer, which is 1/2" shy of Master Angler quality in Minnesota.  Why?  Because I can't get so close and not ultimately achieve the goal.  The 21" smallie on Vermilion is now my white whale.

Where are you fishing? (what end)  not saying a 21" smallmouth bass is common, but ive caught dozens that size over the course of a summer on vermilion.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:11 AM, AlwaysFishing23 said:

You got to stop by! One of the best fisheries as far as multi spices lakes in MN. The fish that come out of big V can be monsters. With that being said the scenery all over the lake is like none other. It's truly one of the most scenic lakes I've ever fished really makes you sit back and really enjoy what nature has to offer.:D

I take it youve never fished in VNP

I don't set fishing goals. I'm not being smart, just realistic. I have goals in other aspects of my life but with fishing, it's just to go out and enjoy myself. Hooking a big fish is just a bonus.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sledneck,

I'm in Frazer Bay.  I didn't start deliberately targeting smallies until last summer.  I'd pick them up fishing for walleye from time to time.  Last summer when I started seeking smallies I caught a bunch that were 15-18", so the 20.5" was a pig for me.   If 21" is fairly common, maybe I need to set a bit higher goal? 21" is considered trophy caliber in MN, but maybe on Vermilion a true trophy is 22" or 23"?

Matt

3 hours ago, SledNeck said:

Where are you fishing? (what end)  not saying a 21" smallmouth bass is common, but ive caught dozens that size over the course of a summer on vermilion.

I take it youve never fished in VNP

No not yet. It's on my bucket list.

2 hours ago, Wheres_Walter said:

Sledneck,

I'm in Frazer Bay.  I didn't start deliberately targeting smallies until last summer.  I'd pick them up fishing for walleye from time to time.  Last summer when I started seeking smallies I caught a bunch that were 15-18", so the 20.5" was a pig for me.   If 21" is fairly common, maybe I need to set a bit higher goal? 21" is considered trophy caliber in MN, but maybe on Vermilion a true trophy is 22" or 23"?

Matt

I haven't caught any smallmouth at vermilion that were 23". It's a hard number to hit there. 

I've caught a couple 21" smallies and a 42" northern on big V.  Still waiting for that 50+ muskie, but I'll need to start fishing for them again to make that happen. I have 4 walleyes over 30, but none over 28 on Vermillion.

One of the great things about the Big V is that those big fish are there and if you fish them long enough and hard enough you will get your fish of a lifetime. There really is no place I'd rather be than fishing off Tommy's dock and catching those big fish. ;)

Have a great season everybody, lots of open water in Pike bay. ;) 

"Ace"

Edited by guideman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good to hear from you again Tommy!  I couldn't possibly have more fun... I love every minute I'm on the water.  I didn't fish for muskies at all last year, but I had a great year with walleyes and smallies.  I'll have to put some time in this year for some big muskies again. 

Good luck to everyone this year.  I'm counting the minutes until opener. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Found your 46.5" northern hiding down a hole in Devils lake

Caught during the Annual SnoBear migration 2016

pike.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1