Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

White-tips

Deer Hunting Walleye

1 post in this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort, Lake of the Woods NW Angle 2-20-17   Fishing on the MN side started out a little slower at the beginning of the warmer temps we have been having but we have seen a 360 turn around and fishing is back to where we like to see it for the NW Angle. We are seeing a lot of nice Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Tulibee and Pike being caught in 20-26 feet on the rocks and sand. The best areas we have seen all year are on rocks and shallow, the fish are feeding on the crayfish. The best colors ave been gold, red, silver and blue on spoons, rattler flyers, ripping raps and buckshots.   Over on the Canadian Side the Walleyes, saugers, Perch, Crappie and Pike continue to bite. The morning and afternoon bite has been best for the Walleye and Crappies. The Crappie bite has been best in 30 plus feet, look for deep holes with trees nearby and 26-28 feet on rock bars, reefs, shoals and humps for Walleyes. Tungsten jigs #6 or #8 have been best for Crappies with red or pink plastics and a wax worm, spring bobbers and electronics are recommended. Buckshots, flyers, flutter spoons, and rippin raps have been successful for Walleyes   With the warmer temps and rain we have recently experienced most of the snow has melted and we are left with water on top of the ice. For snowmobiles it is recommended to have scratchers to prevent overheating. We still have good ice with 24 plus inches and the roads are still good, the approaches are a little rough and sloppy but manageable. With the cold weather coming things should firm up quickly. Check with resorts and guides for up to date ice conditions.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Professional Fishing Guide, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers.   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011
    • Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      What do you all run for fishing line in the winter walleye fishing? I've been running fire line on a couple of reels usually 6-10lb line because I get sick of having fish snap my line. I've always had success with this line during early ice, but I am looking to go to a lighter line in hopes of catching more fish this time of year. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if switching line will help but I'm willing to try it, the last couple of weekends have been really really slow. 
      Adapt or accept mid winter blues?? 

• Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      Anyone been out on lake parley in st.boni, and found any walleyes? I've been sticking to o'dowd for the most part this year with little luck. Parley has been a good producer for me walleye wise, just curious if anyone has been out and found any eyes? 
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort 1/30/17

The weather this past week up here in the angle has been pretty unstable with temps in the single digits and closer to the thirties and now snow flurries today. The fish have still been biting and anglers are still taking home limits every day.

On the Minnesota side, anglers are catching a good mix of fish including Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Pike and Smallmouth Bass. Eel Pout will be spawning within the next couple of weeks. The depths we have been fishing with success is 20-26 feet and in 13-14 feet from 4-6pm in current. The areas we are fishing are on rock reefs, rock points, rubble rock and sandbars. Rattling flyers, buck shots, spoons and plain hooks on dead sticks. Hot colors include red, pink, gold and silver. Most days jigging is out producing dead sticks.

Over on the Ontario side the Crappie bite is still good and holding. Jigging with a plastic on a Tungsten jig with a wax worm has been the most successful tactic. The Crappies are in the mud eating mostly mayfly larvae in 30 feet of water. The best locations are in deep mud holes near structure. The magic colors are still glow white and pink. The Walleye bite has also remained and we are finding them at the end of deep points and reefs between 25 and 32 feet of water using frozen shiners. Many anglers have been catching several smallmouth bass and we just wanted to make it known that these are illegal fish in the wintertime in Ontario. If one were to bite you must immediately release them. As always it is recommended to stay on staked trails with the ever changing ice conditions due to the high current in many areas. One last thing to note is that when crappie fishing the mortality rate is very high for catch and release, we recommend targeting another species once you have caught your limit.

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers

Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
        ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, NW Angle 1/16/17

Fishing up here in the angle has been great!

On the Minnesota side the Walleye, Sauger and Jumbo Perch bite has been hot. The early morning and afternoon bite has been best and the fish are aggressive. We have been fishing in 21-28 feet on reefs, gravel bars, shoals and rocks. Buckshots, Lindy Flyers, Ripping Raps, and Jigging Raps have all produced fish. Live minnows with demon glow and a bobber have also been successful. Colors of choice have been red glow, gold, pink and green glow. A lot of nice fish in the 29 inch range have been caught as well as large quantities.

Over on the Ontario side the Crappie and Walleye bite has been awesome, better than the days of Red Lake. We have also hooked into the Jumbo Perch and they are of good size and quantity. We’ve been fishing in the 28-34 foot range. Something to know about when fishing up the deep waters of Ontario is the crappie mortality rate is high when releasing crappies in 25' of water or greater.  We encourage guests to catch your desired number of crappies up to your limit and then go target other species of fish.  Crappies and Walleyes sometimes appear to swim back down the hole when released but often times do not make it due to being reeled in so fast from great depths. We still advise anglers to stay on marked trails due to the heavy current changing ice conditions.

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Ray King, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

• Holy carp
      By Holy carp
      Caught a few walleyes on o'dowds this weekend. Was marking a lot of fish on the bottom but very skidish and not willing to bite very well. Anyone else have any luck on o'dowds?
    • Sletten420
      By Sletten420
      Well im hoping that maybe ill be able to find a little insight as to how i can feed my ice fishing addiction on the weekend. While working all week its not that I have to travel alot to find a lake. Just that i plunged into my addiction being a novice at best. Looking for some advice on what to look for when choosing lakes and how to go about pursuit on the lake.
    • UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      Hello I am looking for this exact reel with the cork handles in left hand it is the black berry 2014 model. I really want one so if you have it pm me I will pay a decent price 

• Sherman
      I'll be out this wknd and got 3 spots to try out so still debating which one will be the ticket. The past couple weeks I've been getting some while crappie fishing.  Going to be shore fishing so FYI the water level is pretty high right now with all the rain from few weeks ago. A wader would be handy if you have one.  Good luck n be safe out there.
    • Thulie
      Found a half dozen good size crappies on Clear Lake in Waseca Sunday.  Just off the bottom in 8 feet of water, minnows under bobbers.  Water temp was 58 on the east side of the lake, which was a full degree above the rest of the lake.
    • eyeguy 54
      yepper, almost 30 between the 2 of us in the slack water next to fast water. kinda hard to fish in that fast water when it's moving so fast...  
    • Tom Sawyer
      We were using both, but the number of fish caught was definitely based on..... location, location, location - slack water during high flows is where it's at buddy.
    • eyeguy 54
      I remember when I first moved to MN I went down to the dam with a buncha angleworms. Coudnt keep the smallies off. LOL