Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

JBMasterAngler

Things To Do In Ely

49 posts in this topic

JB a day trip over the motorized portage into basswood. 

Posted (edited)

I just thought of something my wife and I really enjoyed.   Rent a canoe and day trip in to see the pictographs on Hegman Lake.   Then go on to the nearby bog (you paddle into it) and check out the pitcher plants and other unusual stuff.   There were a whole bunch of the pitcher plants and the pictographs are great.    Take a picnic, and have lunch either on the portage or on one of the campsites. 

It is a nice easy day trip.  You could even fish some while you are there.  

The day trip permits require no reservations, you just fill it out and drop in box.

Edited by delcecchi
2 people like this

That basswood idea is intriguing, but that's a long boat ride with just a 7.5 HP motor. That was the reason I cancelled the idea of going into trout lake, and that trip is shorter.

You could go over to Hibbing and stop at the mine over look there it's a great view into the pit 

11 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

That basswood idea is intriguing, but that's a long boat ride with just a 7.5 HP motor. That was the reason I cancelled the idea of going into trout lake, and that trip is shorter.

Isn't the limit 25hp?   Or is 7.5 what you have?  Fall lake, or Moose?  

The Fall Lake portage isn't far from the landing, but I don't know if there is a service to get you over it. 

7.5 HP is what I have. The last time I camped at fall lake, I remember seeing a lot of boats with portage wheels on them. So I'm guessing that's what they use to get to basswood. 

Yes you would need portage wheels. There are 2 portages to get into Basswood from Fall. They are not too bad but with the ages of your kids you would need help. For the truck portage on the Moose lake side even if it is a day trip you need a permit and to get one you needed to enter a lottery in January or find someone who has one. They are very hard to come by unless you are going to hire a guide and if you do that then you wouldn't have to worry about the motor size because you would be going in his boat.:grin:

1 person likes this

Alrighty. Well, that settles that. :cool:

If going up the North Shore don't forget to stop by Russ Kendall's!  

We don't go to Ely with out hitting the north shore sometime during our trip!

Do not give the bear center one single penny! Lynn Rogers is a hack!

2 people like this

I did not realize that Lynn Rogers was running the Bear Center!???

Cliff

yes.  I just looked.  He is the founder, and still chairman of board.   

I like the bear center and I think it is worth a visit because of or in spite of Lynn Rogers. I have been there twice since I moved up to Ely and I did not see him there either time.

1 person likes this

I am not a big fan of Lynn Rogers, but not a big disliker (what is opposite of fan?) either.   Sort of ambivalent.    But some folks really enjoy the bear center, so I wouldn't let my attitude towards him stop me.   That's my personal position.   I don't do the boycott thing.

3 people like this

It's voting with your money, Del!  I don't like what Lynn is up to and what he does, so I will not support him and hope others will see how shady he is and follow suit. The less money lining his pockets, the less damage he can do. 

Posted (edited)

Another note about the Soudan Tour is that the Neutrino Research Lab is no more so that part of the tour is merely a part of history. That was amazing but so is the regular mine tour so it's still worth going.

Agreed about the Vince Shute Bear Preserve in Orr. Well worth the drive. I haven't been to the one in Ely but my only note on Lynn Rodgers, is that some may disagree with his methods but his efforts have always been about learning more about bears, which is a good thing. I know that this topic gets heated but thought I would at least make that point.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
spelling

Has anyone taken the motor portage into trout lake? I had already cancelled that idea out, but all the basswood talk got me thinking about it again. How is the bass/laker fishing?

I'm headed to TL June 7-10.   I'd be interested in suggestions for general areas of the lake to focus for walleye and lakers.    Rumor has it that Smallies have exploded in TL, can anyone confirm?  

The Smallie fishing in Trout is top notch!

Good walleye lake, (tough to find at times though).

Good laker lake also. They usually average 5 to 6 pounds and bigger.

Cliff

Just tossing this out there but did anyone go to Vince Shute's before it was a sanctuary, where you could actually interact with the bears?  I went there a couple of times when I was a kid and you could drive up into his yard and feed the bears marshmallows and what not right out of your hand.  It was really crazy but cool at the same time, I remember he had a huge boar that would come back every year that he called "Duffy" it would walk on to his scale so he could weigh it, I think it was over 600 pounds live weight.

1 person likes this

I met Duffy just before he got shot. I volunteered there with VCC. I got to walk Around with the groups as I was to stop little guys from harassing the bears. I carry one little out on my shoulder. 

Mine and harass the tree-huggers!!!

1 person likes this

On 4/18/2017 at 9:49 AM, Spartacus218er said:

Mine and harass the tree-huggers!!!

Yeah, we know you're one of those types.

I like Bears but not to close.

If you can smell'm, get out of the way I be moving on NOW!

Always bugged me at bear viewing place about those people walking right next to bears a when feeding them while back.

My thinking is always "Hey, what if that old boy / girl has a bad tooth" ?

WHACK, off goes yer right arm at the shoulder.

: 0

What of the old lady bear is crabby an mad about no Mrs. Butterworth's in her corn mix?

WHACK...no ear.

What of one of them bears has a fit due to bug in its brain or up the ^%$#!!?

Ya know like people get everyday that go nutts on highway or by schools in shopping mall or after any place their at due to no Minnesota Sports Teams but Twins long ago ever winning THE BIG ONE!

WHACK.done for.

Oh no, I like my Bear roasted on a platter or on an ice burg up the tundra or way deep in the woods sleeping.

: )

Oh yeah!

Mmmmmm Fresh Fried Smelt last night, tomorrow afternoon an again May 8th.

Oooo baby!!!

Keep on rocken!

T

AASMELT.jpg

2 people like this