• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No you don't need them because there are catch-able fish close to the surface this time of the year. Once the top water starts warming and you have to deep then they will help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim,

If ya get out give Frank or me a call on the cellular device.  We can compare notes.  Not much looking forward to it.  Heard there was a winter kill on the pond this year ;)  BC

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, jriegel said:

I have never been out on superior.  Do i need down eiggers this time of year? I may head during the week one day to try it out.  I know i would have to look into coast guard regs to make sure i got all necessary safety equipment.

Downriggers are not necessary but if you use them this time of year, don't go down  deep. I used to use boards but they were more complicated for others on my boat to use so it's small dipseys off the side or a clean line straight back. Spoons and sticks work well this time of year

Shallow and high. One year, I ran DR in the spring with the counter reading 6 feet.

Edited by tacklejunkie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys for the tips looks like 3-4inch stick bright stick baits and bright spoons seem to be the go to.  Anybody ever vertical fish them or live bait? Hope the weather is.good next friday, i have always wanted to get out there and try it.  Bonus is the wife would be happy with some fresh salmon.

What a novel concept!  Talking fishing on a fishing forum to increase interest and activity.  You may be right, it could work!

:Yes:

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

You boys might be on to something 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

So how do you guys go about finding fish when you go out...Do you drive around until you mark fish or big schools of smelt then troll that area?? I know I've read about using a site that shows Superiors water temps also....I'm thinking of trying it this weekend if I get the boat ready in time and the weather is ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

Couple tools to get an idea of water temps, wind speed, and wave height are Coast Watch

UMD Bouy Data

If your fishing on top I'm more apt to cruise out till I find the temps or breaks but yeah I'll keep and eye on the sounder because you might end up changing plans from on top to putting stuff down. Fog banks mark sharp temp breaks on top and before the internet thats what I looked for.   Point is once your on the water you have to observe, gather information,  and do what you can to put something together.   A group of boats might mean something is going on but it usually means the flock is lost.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/29/2017 at 1:43 PM, jriegel said:

Thanks guys for the tips looks like 3-4inch stick bright stick baits and bright spoons seem to be the go to.  Anybody ever vertical fish them or live bait? Hope the weather is.good next friday, i have always wanted to get out there and try it.  Bonus is the wife would be happy with some fresh salmon.

The stickbait/spoon choices are good.

I've tried jigging with some success but trolling will get you on more fish.

Good time of year for salmon. But don't pass up a chance for some smoked laker

5 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

The stickbait/spoon choices are good.

I've tried jigging with some success but trolling will get you on more fish.

Good time of year for salmon. But don't pass up a chance for some smoked laker

Are lakers up high in the water column as well this time of year.  My dad and i use fish lakers in canada but used down riggers.

There is one temp on Superior that is constant and it's one the Lake Trout use a majority of the day when they aren't hunting .  That is lake bottom and they'll lay on it.   To get them to react you have to get your rig in front of their nose.   Right now you should be thinking about what the smelt are doing.  If there is smelt there will be lake Trout.  In a couple weeks that might be in 2' of water along Park Point or deep. 

Wish I had a good report for Sat.  No fish were caught and it was one of those days.  BC's big and little motors have a cough.  Ran down to Lester set lines, lots of traffic that would have been easier to manage without the skin ice. Lots of rigs at Mcquade but little or no waiting to get in or out.  Well except for the front set of rollers that flipped on BC trailer and put a hole in the boat.  I'd have traded that problem for the other guys aluminum tandem trailer that floats.  Today I'll be tending to a hole and administering cough medicine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Went out of Rice's on Saturday. Launching and avoiding ice chunks were part of the fun but no major problems. Went 3/3 with the first bite being a double. Bright sticks caught 2 and a flasher fly caught the other. Plenty of bait balls out deeper and that was were the fish were as well. Tried shallow first but no hits and skim ice around as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those fishing the pond, did you graph a lot of smelt closer into the point. That's. the next thing for me.  Might be an early smelt run with no ice and these warm temps.

When is the normal smelt run? Coming up Easter weekend I'm figuring it's still going to be a bit early for "good fishing".

6 hours ago, loadmaster said:

For those fishing the pond, did you graph a lot of smelt closer into the point. That's. the next thing for me.  Might be an early smelt run with no ice and these warm temps.

They were anywhere from 50 to 100 feet down depending on location on the north shore. Did not venture to the south shore.

Around the 3rd week in April I'll look in the garage for my waders and seine.  Smelt could be on the beach between then and 1st week of May.  I then pick a calm night followed by a warm day with light NE winds.

Jim, good to hear the Harbor is opening up, might put in at Rice's this weekend.

Thanks ST. Has anyone herd if any salmon are being caught in canal park just checked and looked like there was 8 guys fishing on the harbor cam. 

Well i am heading up friday, sounds like the bite has slowed down, but its my first time ou there so i have no expectations. Scenery should be beautiful at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have they put the dock in yet at Rice's Landing?  I've been launching more up at McQuade  but haven't been down to Rice's yet 

5 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

Have they put the dock in yet at Rice's Landing?  I've been launching more up at McQuade  but haven't been down to Rice's yet 

I will try to get down there tomorrow to see what the status of the dock. I do know both Saturday and Sunday there was a DNR boat launched out of Rices but more than likely has no bearing on the time table for getting the dock in.

Well first time ever up.  Went 2 for 3, 2 bites in 55 ft and one in 20 feet out by duluth.  Depth finder was on the fritz, trolling motor was on the fritz so fishing of navionics the whole time i felt lucky to even get a bite.

• Thumbs Up 2

We put in at Rice's, even without the dock in boats were getting in and out without any trouble.

Pretty good chop out there Saturday and a lot of traffic along the beach and up to Congdon but spread out enough.

We ran mostly sticks on top with pink and pink lemonade doing OK.   There were enough targets to run dipsies or riggers down to at 20'. We boated 7 coho and lost a few.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dang 11 guys fishing off the south pier in canal park this morning and one boat out trolling in front of the canal. Must be bitting?!

Only 11 guys on the pier??  I have been down there when there were more the 40 guys lining the wall fighting for space 

Yeah I know not THAT many but a few just figured id give an update on whats happening.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, LoonASea said:

Only 11 guys on the pier??  I have been down there when there were more the 40 guys lining the wall fighting for space

What's on the Menu off the pier this time of year?