• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Used to to be this forum was the hottest, most informative, and sharing on HSO/FM.

Who here would like to get this place back to it's old glorrry?

I know there are lot of you viewing, we need you to jump in and share if not reports then just let us know your out there.  

The summer season is coming up along with Lake Superior.   Lets get this place active again.

Having said that, I'm still hitting the ice but trolling the Big Lake is giving me the itch!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well this winter has not helped. No ice on the big lake with lots of crazy reports and fish to post, no snow not as much to report as not much got done on the ice anywhere this year. Suk's. :(

Leech,  thanks for sticking in there and the and the of the FM family. Just don't drag those crazies from the ODD forum n here . 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, knoppers said:

now I am seeing double, can't be from the frosty I don't believe.:D

Fixed.  

Don't know if thats the Android tablet posting double or what.

This whole site is going down the tubes. Not just this forum from what I've seen. Overbearing mods and people realizing the impact of posting info online are the reasons, in my opinion. The FM/HSO split was the final nail in the coffin. 

Edited by 401TE
  • Thumbs Up 1

We can over come the split it was hard to take but people are coming back. No one says you need to post the names of the lskes. I have been fishing little lakes all around Mille lacs lake and it is amazing fishing. 

Great work @Surface Tension

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/10/2017 at 7:32 PM, Surface Tension said:

ST, I couldn't agree more- this forum is becoming quite the desolate place with so many "views" and  

I will be the first to admit I haven't helped the situation, with a change in my employer, and schedule my quality fishing time has been greatly decreased. With this recent  bipolar weather pattern my portable is just sitting in the garage collecting dust, mostly because I have no idea what local ice might still be safe to venture out on.

During open water season I usually don't spend nearly as much time on the BIG pond as I do on other waters. Maybe this will be the season to turn that around. 

I am by no means a fish whisperer, but willing to impart info when and where I can. Just when I ask for help in return..nothing but crickets ( a lot of the time). 

As for the impact of "posting" or sharing info..I came from the St Cloud area, that forum has always been HOT with info tons of info shared, and it seems their fishery is still going strong. 

Used to to be this forum was the hottest, most informative, and sharing on HSO/FM.

Who here would like to get this place back to it's old glorrry?

I know there are lot of you viewing, we need you to jump in and share if not reports then just let us know your out there.  

The summer season is coming up along with Lake Superior.   Lets get this place active again.

Having said that, I'm still hitting the ice but trolling the Big Lake is giving me the itch!

It is unfortunate that this site isn't as active as it used to be. Even I don't post nearly as much as I used to. I remember when there would be pages worth of discussions about fish lake and park point each winter. Now? Nothing! Majority of my posts refer to trout fishing in Wisconsin nowadays, which is a forum that's almost lifeless! Unfortunately, the last couple years I haven't spent as much time in the arrowhead due to work. But this year will be more back to normal, so hopefully I'll have lots of reports to share this upcoming year :grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

Like 401TE said, partially because people are realizing the consequences of liberally sharing info with thousands of people who they don't know, many of whom practice questionable fishing ethics.

The split made the forums tough and complicated to use. I don't like having to switch pages like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I figured someone would mention th FB thing.  My wife tells me about what she reads there and it's usually the same conversations I read here.  I'm not on FB myself so that's another reason I'm here.  

I've had to chuckle a little when she rants about people's posts bashing others for typing whatever.  Same stuff we went through here.

• Thumbs Up 3

BWCA  forum with out Northlander = ---------------------------.  LOL.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hear you Frank.  When I first got on this forum, it was next to sliced bread.  Then things changed people started bashing each other with stupid stuff.  When you have a topic with nothing to do with fishing, and there is 20 pages something is wrong. I would close the thread down after a couple pages.  The way Rick has the threads on the right side of the page not good.  

I see nothing wrong with posting on how well you did and the name of the lake IF IT IS LARGE ENOUGH  fISH,ISLAND, ETC.

You do not have to share location, but lake would be nice,  I would/ like PM to get more active.  Ask, the guy posting and let hem know that you are not going to rape the lake, but just want to take a couple of kids fishing.  I think most guys would give out the info on the on a PM.  There is a bunch of lake within 1 hour of Duluth lets fish them

• Thumbs Up 1

Right now, there are a handful of people that do 90% of the posts on FM.  They obviously enjoy the outdoors and like sharing what they are up to and things that are working.

Here are my recommendations on keeping the forums active:

1. If you are a regular viewer, you should be posting occasionally. 
  2. It is completely up to you how much information you want to share.  No one should be telling you what is OK to post.  However, keep in mind that sharing too much information means that you may be sharing your fishing spot next time you head out.
  3. Ask questions.  Sometimes when my local forum is quiet, I just ask a question that starts a discussion.  Something like "What is your go to color for the Walleye opener"?
  4. Have fun
  • Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, hayseed said:

POST.:D

Great job getting number 101

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes I don't post much, but visit almost daily and enjoy the new posts in areas that pertain to me. When I feel I can add to a conversation, I will post my two cents worth. I refuse to post information that will not be of some use to others or false information. No need for me to promote myself or demonstrate my prowess in the outdoors. Little levity. Been told I have a warped sense of humor. Future posts will be limited to helping others from my experiences. 

• Thumbs Up 4

@hayseed  It's good to know what you're good at!   But really, we don't mind seeing what you're good at too. :grin:

• Thumbs Up 2

I have not been able to get out as much as I would like to have and the few times did, managed a few but never really killed it. Everyone has their own go to hot spot, they like to keep secret, But guess it would not hurt to post general info, ie depth, time day what using.  

• Thumbs Up 1

My son moved to Silver bay area ... any good inland lakes to fish?  Don't need any spots just a lake.  Would like to take him possibly ice fishing but for sure summer fishing.  He hasn't fished in a long time and wanted to get him set up again.   Pan fish, Bass, Northern/Walleye ... anything close or within an 30-40 minute drive.   On the map ... it looks like a lake called LAX lake is close?  anybody hear anything about this lake?   Thanks in advanced ...

Cret

1 hour ago, Cret Jigs said:

My son moved to Silver bay area ... any good inland lakes to fish?  Don't need any spots just a lake.  Would like to take him possibly ice fishing but for sure summer fishing.  He hasn't fished in a long time and wanted to get him set up again.   Pan fish, Bass, Northern/Walleye ... anything close or within an 30-40 minute drive.   On the map ... it looks like a lake called LAX lake is close?  anybody hear anything about this lake?   Thanks in advanced ...

Cret

He's kind of in the middle there for lakes. He may have to head north a bit or south.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking on the subject,  Remember the days when we would have get togethers to learn about subjects that others had vast knowledge.  No problem sharing a little info on CERTAIN lakes but the big ones in the local no problems.  I think people think if I leak a little info, the next time I go there the city of Duluth will be there.  Its like those are my fish and I do not want anybody else to take them.   If it had not been for this site would not have met Frank or Steve.  Come on guys post some info I need a new secret spot. Remember you still have to know how to catch them..Also, you could be anywhere talking about fishing and the first thing they would ask "are you on the Mn Fishing Forum"  Come on lets loosen up a little bit and get back into having fun fishing and not worry about somebody else messing me over

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Cret Jigs said:

Cret

Hey Cret.  I am sure you know about, but when I am in a new area of Mn  my go to reference is the Mn DNR Compass.  This will show all the lakes  pick a few that look interesting.  Find your home base then start your lake search on Lake Finder.  It will bring up all the info on that lake.  Some of the info is a little old but you can figure out what is in there for fishable water.  Depth contour, type and how big of fish etc   Kind of cool to play around with.  After deciding what lakes are within your area and you plan on fishing, get on the forum here and somebody should help you out 

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be great to see this forum back to it's glory days!!

I've said before that I still to this day fly a full sized (FISHING MINNESOTA) decal on the back window of my truck along with my handle.  It says plain as day "we have more fun".

I've also asked before what site is it that I still want to be part of?

Is it (Hot Spot Outdoors) or (Fishing Minnesota) or if you look at the top of this page I believe it says (Outdoor Minnesota) followed by "i have more fun".

I'll start with little steps... How do we get back to "we have more fun" and drop the "i have more fun"

As always,

Take care

Tom (BD110)

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, BD110 said:

I've said before that I still to this day fly a full sized (FISHING MINNESOTA) decal on the back window of my truck along with my handle.  It says plain as day "we have more fun".

And where did you get this said decal? Are they still available today? :whistle:

I know in the past I made a funny about getting a free HSO hoody.

But in all seriousness, marketing is a big way to get the word out about this or any site. Having guys out all over this state and others hunting and fishing with hats, hoodies, T shirts, and decals on their trucks, ice houses, and boats can go along way to having others ask what it's all about. Sometimes it just takes a little more vision and investment to make that new start up happen. ;)

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

And where did you get this said decal? Are they still available today? :whistle:

I know in the past I made a funny about getting a free HSO hoody.

But in all seriousness, marketing is a big way to get the word out about this or any site. Having guys out all over this state and others hunting and fishing with hats, hoodies, T shirts, and decals on their trucks, ice houses, and boats can go along way to having others ask what it's all about. Sometimes it just takes a little more vision and investment to make that new start up happen. ;)

Oh geez, I just noticed that I spelled "Past" wrong above. Can some Mod fix that before eyeguy comes off the lake and notices it? :eek:  :D

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I know in the passed I made a funny about getting a free HSO hoody.

I still have one waiting for you if you want to send me your address.  And it's on the house.

I should probably point out my new FM Staff title says "Apparel" so if anyone is interested in something embroidered with the HSO or Outdoor MN logo on it, send me a PM.  I have access to more items than hoodies. 

Also, vinyl items may be available in the near future.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I still have one waiting for you if you want to send me your address.  And it's on the house.

I should probably point out my new FM Staff title says "Apparel" so if anyone is interested in something embroidered with the HSO or Outdoor MN logo on it, send me a PM.  I have access to more items than hoodies.

Also, vinyl items may be available in the near future.

PM sent! Need to see your catalog!  Lol

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1