Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Royal_Dutchman

2017 Rainy River Conditions

joeranger618t

How ugly is it down toward the Lake?  Be interesting to know if it mellows out when you get to the lake--far a mud,debris,etc.

maxpower117

I've got onto imagine that you can find plenty of clean water out in the lake. The dirty water will probably go out for miles but there will be clean water nearby. 

SPUD BAR

Frontier last night. Not looking good guys. 

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

certified jumbo

Yikes.  I've never seen it like that.

joeranger618t

jeez that's ugly. Thanks for the info Spud Bar.

SM1
13 hours ago, DocJpa said:

Was at Frontier this morning, it was a mess! Ice and trees from bank to bank coming down stream. There is no way you could put a boat in safely without damage. I'd guess that mess will be at Wheelers Pt tomorrow. Going to take 3-4 days before that stuff clears but will still have chocolate soup water for a while.

Seems about right. Frontier is about 30 river miles from wheelers and those debris certainly could make for a nice mine field for the rush Friday morning up by the lake. 

jquinlivan

Just talked with people at Ballard’s said reports are mixed and people are catching fish in the river and lake. Unfortunately since we have a 12 hour drive we will not be coming up. If anyone is still looking for lodging I just canceled a four person cabin at Ballard’s for Thursday (tomorrow) April 6th through Saturday April 9th. Good luck to all who go.

• Like 1

joeranger618t

Sportsmans keeps on saying they are pounding the fish....but nobody else is. Not sure what to believe on Social media. 

• Like 1

northernfishin

Resorts got to make money and will stay positive to keep tourism dollars coming in. If you have the itch, come visit our area and have a shot at some amazing fishing potential. If you're willing, move up and down the river. Heck you can fish parts of rainy lake right now by boat for walleye too! You can't catch fish without a line in the water, or sitting on the couch. Come April 14th you may say, man I wish I went fishing. As for some of us, we may be happy the landings are less crowded and people fish away from our honey holes. I have friends who make their living in baudette and i falls in tourism. My friend who owns a bait shop can't understand why people don't come up and fish regardless of if the bite is good or not. The main thing to worry about is safety. 

On a second note, the dam in I falls will maintain its current flows (no waste gates open) for the foreseeable future. Unless a rain storm comes through there's no intentions to increase flows at the dam. This means rainy lake will continue to decline and the river will remain the same unless rain fills up the basin. 

joeranger618t

I come to your area all the time and contribute to your economy. I just prefer to catch walleye,  not sturgeon and bottle bass.  Some of us drive many hours and spends hundreds b4 we even leave....hence why some of us like the reports, good or bad.  I get the resort thing i guess. Appreciate the info you have been providing. Thanks. 

• Like 1

maxpower117

In 5 days we're all going to forget about the optimistic reports. Let's all keep our negative opinions to ourselves. 

• Like 1

SPUD BAR

I drive 6 hrs and I'll be there Monday night and fish till the end of the season on Friday. Can't wait to hit the river. 

• Like 1

gloomiseye

How's it looking today?

Mikeyb_official

Just had a GIANT sturgeon on from shore for a hour and a half on 8 lb test... and she snapped. Way she goes boys way she goes

joeranger618t
14 hours ago, gloomiseye said:

How's it looking today?

You'll have to call a few bait stores and ask.  I like luckys and log cabin bait.  They are straight shooters.  

Emeightde

Camped/Fished Wednesday and Thursday(today), birchdale Wednesday and nothing up or down the river,  water is still really muddy but very little debris Wednesday, Thursday we headed straight to Lake from birchdale in the morning fairly busy 100+ boats didn't see any fish caught from 8am till noon, decided to bail and went above the forks and couldn't have asked for better fishing considering, went east from landing for a bit and did okay near Eagles nests and drifted back towards the landing and caught 10-15 fish each (2 man boat) 27", 24" where the bigs

23507.jpeg

Edited by Emeightde
  • Like 4

northernfishin

For those interested in avoiding crowds and keeping more walleyes. Sand bay on rainy is open and fishing is good. Put in at woodys landing and fish around ice. You can keep 4eyes. There's not many out there either but those that have been there are slaughtering fish. 

Rainy daze guide service is having their river run as well this weekend so expect a large crowd from that too. 

Jason Mitchell will be around fishing. 

northernfishin

Jason Mitchell will be around fishing. 

Crazyjoedavola22

Is the water still dirty or getting better? Fishing any better? Any info would be appreciated! First timer hoping to come up this weekend or Monday.

Mikeyb_official

my group of 4 got our limit at manitou this morning alot of males 15-18 in

northernfishin

For those fishing river. Be mindful of Canadian boarder and laws. Many boats are getting busted for being on the wrong side without proper paper work and liscense. The boarder IS NOT the middle of the river. You are not allowed to fish both sides of river without a rbac and i68 form with Canadian fishing liscenses. It can be over 1000$ fine and possible confiscation of gear if busted. Mnro, dnr and customs are patrolling river. Be mindful of this. Just because a group of boats are on the north shore doesn't mean you can fish there. They most likely have paper work you don't have. Also, if you fish Canadian side with live bait in boat get ready to get slammed too. Just a heads up as I know they're out there this last weekend through week. 

• Like 1

Mnboater

Not having much luck near ice in low. River is slow too. Still stained bad. Early am was better. Sturgeon okay in gap

• Like 1

Mnboater

image.jpg

• Like 2

Mikeyb_official

Caught about 20 fish off shore today my uncle caught a 29 in walleye and a couple small sturgeons try an get right in current right off shore

• Like 1

Tony S

Was at Birchdale Friday night thru today early afternoon.  There was slightly less than 1' of visibility today, about the same as yesterday.  Still quite a bit of leaves, grass and crap fouling on the line.  Water level is falling steadily.  Water temp was 38-39.5 F.  Still quite a bit of current.  Was using a 3/4 oz.  Walleye were not interested in aggressive jigging of any sort.  There are quite a few sturgeon around that area.  Lots of sturgeon hookups fishing for walleye.  Fishing was a little slow by comparison to other years but not too bad.  Except for the minor cold front the last days of the season are shaping up nicely.  I would not hesitate to go up there again if I could.  As soon as it clears up a bit more it should be really good.   

• Like 1