• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 Rainy River Conditions

Just got up today theres a frig ton of ice chunks gotta chip out r landing hopefully its not to friged up to get a boat out there let u guys know

Pretty friggin muddy too sturgeon dont care tho

19 hours ago, jeff wilson said:

Just got back from the Rainy River the river is muddied up.  If you look at the water temps from Pelland the water temp has increased.  If you look at the temps from the Big and Little Fork the river temps have dropped 3-4 degrees, which I suspect means they have broke.  The speed of the river has also increase and you can only see you jig about 8 inches below the surface.  We did not catch a walleye on Saturday and we were on the river until 6:30.  My experience after fishing the river for over 20+ years is that it usually takes 10-12 days to clear up.  The reports from guys we talked to said they caught fish out in the lake by Pine Island but the majority we really small.  If someone lost a rod and reel up by the church on the river drop me a line I snag one on Sat. it is a special rod so if you can identify it I can get it back to you.  Good luck fishing  

Sent you a private message Jeff.  BC

Got back from up there last night, fished Saturday and Sunday morning. River was pretty muddy and the Walleye bite was slow on the river. Fish were being caught out on the lake close to the ice, but mostly small ones with a few mid 20" fish mixed in. Sturgeon fishing was hot in 4 mile bay for the people that gave up on walleyes and targeted them. This was only my second time up there (last weekend being the first), talking to a few guides and local fisherman they were hopeful for the river to clear back up by the end of this week. Hopefully the walleye fishing picks up before the season closes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

USGS graph for manitou is currently reporting 28,100cfs discharge. If that number is correct it would apparently break the flow record last set in 1945. 

The river must really be moving. ???

We fished Saturday and caught a couple. One 25 inch fish on the river near the church.  That is my dad and step mom with that 25.  We need to have a class on how to hold a fish to make it look bigger.  Luckily I didn't donate any rods to the lake. We did make it all the way out of the gap on the main lake to 15 feet. It was crazy how many people were up fishing and how many boats were on the water. I've never fished this early so that was the closest I've ever been to ice in a boat.

Landing the boat on Sunday with the current and that wind direction was super fun. Watched a guy in front of me take about 5 tries at it before he got onto the trailer.

Ryan

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

Report last night from buddy who lives where little fork dumps into rainy stated lots of ice and debris moving on river and ice is gone now and mouth. Fished the river above forks after work.l for a couple hours. Three fish. Two nice eaters and a 20" that had shoulders like a 25". No females. Broke of one big fish that had some impressive head shakes. Got a flat tire from a screw in my truck tire at the landing. Looks like the county grated the parking lot nicely Monday. Beautiful night. 

We have reservations at the Dutchman, so are planning to come up tomorrow. Was up last week and did well on walleyes, but realize the Rainy situation has changed. For those who know the river and area better than me, under the current conditions, does it even pay to try the Clementson area, or should we try the mouth or head upstream to Pelland? Or may it clear up enough to try Vidas, Frontier, Birchdale areas?

Thanks in advance.

'Pout

Was at Frontier this morning, it was a mess! Ice and trees from bank to bank coming down stream. There is no way you could put a boat in safely without damage. I'd guess that mess will be at Wheelers Pt tomorrow. Going to take 3-4 days before that stuff clears but will still have chocolate soup water for a while.

Looks like rivers finally breaking. The level in the falls crested yesterday and is down a foot plus in last 24hrs. Currently coming down at a rate of 10" per day but slowing up right now. We got an note this morning that we will be moving some water levels around on the dam and will know for sure in the coming days if it'll be slowing up the dam further or increasing flow to help drain lake further before rainy lake ice busts up. 

How ugly is it down toward the Lake?  Be interesting to know if it mellows out when you get to the lake--far a mud,debris,etc.

I've got onto imagine that you can find plenty of clean water out in the lake. The dirty water will probably go out for miles but there will be clean water nearby. 

13 hours ago, DocJpa said:

Was at Frontier this morning, it was a mess! Ice and trees from bank to bank coming down stream. There is no way you could put a boat in safely without damage. I'd guess that mess will be at Wheelers Pt tomorrow. Going to take 3-4 days before that stuff clears but will still have chocolate soup water for a while.

Seems about right. Frontier is about 30 river miles from wheelers and those debris certainly could make for a nice mine field for the rush Friday morning up by the lake. 

Just talked with people at Ballard’s said reports are mixed and people are catching fish in the river and lake. Unfortunately since we have a 12 hour drive we will not be coming up. If anyone is still looking for lodging I just canceled a four person cabin at Ballard’s for Thursday (tomorrow) April 6th through Saturday April 9th. Good luck to all who go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sportsmans keeps on saying they are pounding the fish....but nobody else is. Not sure what to believe on Social media. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Resorts got to make money and will stay positive to keep tourism dollars coming in. If you have the itch, come visit our area and have a shot at some amazing fishing potential. If you're willing, move up and down the river. Heck you can fish parts of rainy lake right now by boat for walleye too! You can't catch fish without a line in the water, or sitting on the couch. Come April 14th you may say, man I wish I went fishing. As for some of us, we may be happy the landings are less crowded and people fish away from our honey holes. I have friends who make their living in baudette and i falls in tourism. My friend who owns a bait shop can't understand why people don't come up and fish regardless of if the bite is good or not. The main thing to worry about is safety. 

On a second note, the dam in I falls will maintain its current flows (no waste gates open) for the foreseeable future. Unless a rain storm comes through there's no intentions to increase flows at the dam. This means rainy lake will continue to decline and the river will remain the same unless rain fills up the basin. 

I come to your area all the time and contribute to your economy. I just prefer to catch walleye,  not sturgeon and bottle bass.  Some of us drive many hours and spends hundreds b4 we even leave....hence why some of us like the reports, good or bad.  I get the resort thing i guess. Appreciate the info you have been providing. Thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In 5 days we're all going to forget about the optimistic reports. Let's all keep our negative opinions to ourselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I drive 6 hrs and I'll be there Monday night and fish till the end of the season on Friday. Can't wait to hit the river. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just had a GIANT sturgeon on from shore for a hour and a half on 8 lb test... and she snapped. Way she goes boys way she goes

14 hours ago, gloomiseye said:

How's it looking today?

You'll have to call a few bait stores and ask.  I like luckys and log cabin bait.  They are straight shooters.  

Camped/Fished Wednesday and Thursday(today), birchdale Wednesday and nothing up or down the river,  water is still really muddy but very little debris Wednesday, Thursday we headed straight to Lake from birchdale in the morning fairly busy 100+ boats didn't see any fish caught from 8am till noon, decided to bail and went above the forks and couldn't have asked for better fishing considering, went east from landing for a bit and did okay near Eagles nests and drifted back towards the landing and caught 10-15 fish each (2 man boat) 27", 24" where the bigs

23507.jpeg

Edited by Emeightde
  • Thumbs Up 4

For those interested in avoiding crowds and keeping more walleyes. Sand bay on rainy is open and fishing is good. Put in at woodys landing and fish around ice. You can keep 4eyes. There's not many out there either but those that have been there are slaughtering fish. 

Rainy daze guide service is having their river run as well this weekend so expect a large crowd from that too. 

Jason Mitchell will be around fishing. 

Is the water still dirty or getting better? Fishing any better? Any info would be appreciated! First timer hoping to come up this weekend or Monday.

my group of 4 got our limit at manitou this morning alot of males 15-18 in